PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR News and it ain't good

Artful
10-30-2016, 11:01 PM
https://nbcnascartalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/martinsville-accident-scene-e1477866359570.jpg?w=369&h=208&crop=1
Kelly Crandall

More than 20 people injured by vehicle in parking lot after Martinsville race6 Comments (http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/10/30/multiple-fans-struck-by-vehicle-after-martinsville-race/#comments)By Dustin Long (http://nascar.nbcsports.com/author/dustinlong17/)Oct 30, 2016, 6:32 PM EDT (http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/10/30/multiple-fans-struck-by-vehicle-after-martinsville-race/)

At least 22 people were injured and at least 14 went to hospitals after a vehicle crashed into a crowd in a parking lot Sunday at Martinsville Speedway.

Twelve fans went to Memorial Hospital in Martinsville, Virginia, according to Liz Harris, the hospital’s director of marketing. She confirmed that one patient was transported to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital in Roanoke, Virginia.

The Virginia State Police reported that two fans were taken to Morehead Memorial Hospital in Eden, N.C.

Those injured ranged in age from 13 to 65. The Virginia State Police stated that fans transported to the hospitals had non-life threatening injuries.

Thirteen fans were treated at the scene for minor injuries, according to the Virginia State Police.

The incident occurred at 5:38 p.m. – an hour after the checkered flag waved – in the handicapped parking lot outside Turn 2 of the speedway. The parking lot was congested with vehicles and pedestrians when a 2005 Chevrolet SSR convertible attempted to pass a Jeep Patriot. The Chevrolet struck the Jeep and then struck several pedestrians, according to the Virginia State Police.

The driver of the Chevrolet is being interviewed by Virginia State Police. The police stated that alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash. Charges are pending consultation with Henry County Commonwealth Attorney Andrew Nester.

The Ridgeway District Volunteer Rescue, Ridgeway District Volunteer Fire, Henry County Sheriff’s Office, City of Martinsville Sheriff’s Office, Martinsville Speedway officials, Henry County Department of Public Safety and Virginia State Police immediately responded to the scene.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Artful
10-30-2016, 11:03 PM
We went up the street to a haunted house this evening and I saw someone driving like this but thankfully he didn't get anyone.

lefty o
10-30-2016, 11:58 PM
time to outlaw all vehicles capable of more than 5mph. these things are terrible, think of the lives saved. never happen, makes as much sense as making arms illegal.

HarryT
10-31-2016, 06:51 AM
Was Danica hurt?

runfiverun
10-31-2016, 11:02 AM
I think this was just a road rage incident.
but I keep hearing numbers like 10 or 20 injured.
they are sure being close lipped about the details.

Tenbender
10-31-2016, 12:25 PM
Matt just po'ed because he can't win ! No ricers Sunday ?

osteodoc08
10-31-2016, 01:59 PM
The whole incident sounds senseless. We've all been stuck behind slow folks or people that just seem to drive with their heads up their fourth point of contact. Just give them space and clear your head.

bubba.50
10-31-2016, 02:20 PM
Was Danica hurt?

I love this one. but I doubt Danican't was involved. she was likely still on the track tryin' to get all her laps back.

jmorris
10-31-2016, 03:02 PM
time to outlaw all vehicles capable of more than 5mph. these things are terrible, think of the lives saved.

That wouldn't completely solve the problem, in order than that we need to pass the "National Safe Zone Act", the ensures everyone is at least two arm lengths away from another person (as a Dad of a girl, I suggest 3 for ages under 21), would have dramatically reduced injuries.

FWIW how can alcohol not be involved at a NASCAR event? Maybe a competitive caution flag in the handicapped parking lot?

runfiverun
10-31-2016, 09:03 PM
it kills me how people think the parking lot is magically gonna clear out at any event.
one that has 70-80,000 people there is really gonna take some time to clear out, I don't care how good the traffic control is.