PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

cabezaverde
10-30-2016, 04:32 PM

We found this today going through some old boxes. My deceased father-in-law received this as a gift from Japanese business associates during his travels there in the 1960's.
Does anyone know what these are or what they symbolize?

Blanket
10-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Kimono charms

DCP
10-30-2016, 04:38 PM
japanese wind bells

Bookworm
10-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Bottle openers ?

Blackwater
10-30-2016, 07:28 PM
If it were me, I'd find someone who reads Japanese and get them to tell you what the one on the right says, and any other written stuff in the box. Have you checked to see if there's more written stuff in the bottom of the box under the padding?

Ballistics in Scotland
10-30-2016, 07:35 PM
It isn't easy, on the internet, to distinguish knowledgeable suggestions from a spirit of innocent merriment. The red and blue threads suggest something traditional and specific. I'd suggest going to eBay and searching for "Japanese" in jewellery and collectibles. Or a web search for "red and blue threads" plus "Japan".

Blanket
10-30-2016, 08:32 PM
I have one very similar to the one on the right given to me by a Japanese business man explaining that is was a charm signifying in my case innovation. I will be in Tokyo this Wed. will try to remember to show pic and ask

cabezaverde
11-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Did you have any luck with this?

I have one very similar to the one on the right given to me by a Japanese business man explaining that is was a charm signifying in my case innovation. I will be in Tokyo this Wed. will try to remember to show pic and ask

shunka
11-12-2016, 04:16 AM
Greetings My Good cabezaverde (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?79-cabezaverde)
this has been pestering me since you posted it. I finally came across these, they are Uchide-no-Kozuchi, the magic hammer of the God Daikoku, who brings good fortune and prosperity.

they are particularly fitting as business gifts, and can be used as "belt toggles", charms, or watch or keychain fobs.

a legendary Japanese hammer, the name translates as “Small Magic Hammer” or “Miracle Mallet” and, in English, as “Lucky Mallet”.

The mallet is said to be very small, and swinging it grants its holder’s wishes. It plays an important role in the legend of
Issun-bōshi (or "One-Inch Boy"). In the legend, the one-inch tall Issun-boshi, after leaving his parent's home, comes under
the employ of a wealthy daimyo, whose daughter is an attractive princess. Although scorned for his height, he is given the
job of accompanying the princess. While traveling together, they are attacked by an Oni, who deals with pesky Issun-boshi
by swallowing him. He defeats the Oni by pricking him from within with his needle/sword. The Oni spits out Issun-boshi and
drops the 'Uchide-no-Kozuchi as he runs away. As a reward for his bravery, the princess uses the power of the mallet to
grow him to full size. At the end of the story, Issun-bōshi and the princess are married.

yours are very nice - here are images of cheap ones:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA1OVgxNjAw/z/sDoAAOxyiRlScFDE/$T2eC16R,!ywFI4obLBlMBScFDDZJ8g~~60_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTAy/z/9EMAAOSwl8NVbnjr/$_57.JPG

yhs
shunka

Blanket
11-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Did you have any luck with this? Just got back in the States last night, shunka is spot on

kingstrider
11-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Ebay.

Rooster
11-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Very cool thread.