PDA

View Full Version : Want an inline to shoot cast well

Buttonbuck
10-30-2016, 06:48 AM
I'm wanting to purchase an inline that I can put a scope on so my kids can shoot it. I also want to keep cost down so vast sabots and lead conicals are on the radar. Any models shoot cast well. I already have over a half dozen side locks from 32-62 main gun is 54 cal renegade. I did find a new grey scout by TC. But you get mixed reviews on them.

bradley.moss72
10-30-2016, 07:35 AM
I used to have a CVA Apollo that came with a package that included CVA Deerslayer conical lead bullets. It was extra to my gun collection at the time and I had a good friend that was without a muzzleloader for a few seasons. I told him I'd let him use it but he would have to get it sighted in, because I had not done anything with it. He reported that it shot very well with the Deerslayer bullets. I am sure it would do the same with most other lead bullets. Probably most inlines would for that matter because they mostly have a fast twist.

I never got to use the gun myself because after my buddy returned it, a couple of crackheads broke into my house and stole my guns and I never recovered that rifle.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buttonbuck
10-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your guns being stolen.

bradley.moss72
10-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Thanks Buttonbuck. That has been many moons ago!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Geezer in NH
10-30-2016, 04:10 PM
If it will shoot a sabot it will shoot a full lead bullet of caliber size. Starting it will take some effort.

mooman76
10-30-2016, 04:51 PM
You should be able to get it to shoot conicals well but the trick will be finding to right one that will. Hopefully it won't be too difficult. Usually a over powder wad helps allot or you could go the paper patched route like allot here.

koger
10-30-2016, 04:58 PM
The CVA Optima, Accura, and cheaper Wolf inline breakdowns all shoot conicals, and even holy black well. A neighbor had a wolf he bought as new, for cheap, $75, we zeroed it with some Maxi's I had cast, 5 shots and done at 50yds, then on a new target it cut 3 into each other at 50yds, with 85-3fffg, swabbing with a spit patch between shots. That was 3 years ago, and he shoots 2 shots a year, one to make sure it is still on, and one at a deer in our late ML season, all under 100yds, he has killed 3 deer with 3 shots. Another note is some modern rifles don't shoot the maxis as well if they have the QLA, recessed muzzle, same for paper patched ones. I have cut the barrels off and re-crowned them at the start of the rifling, and they shot stellar. One was a TC Omega, after trimming and recrowning the barrel, it would shoot right around 1" groups for 3 shots,at 100yds, with 95 grs of 2ffg and Powerbelts or TC Maxi Hunters I cast, before it was all over a sheet of paper with them. Shot Sabots great before and after.

Lead pot
10-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Buttonbuck,

Teach him how shoot with the barrel sights and use the money you would spend on the scope and rings and invest that money for a proper fitting bullet with a custom bullet mould from Steve Brooks or Tom at Accurate moulds http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=16 http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=17 and you will get the job done in fine shape. you can get a good bullet for any caliber. A scope has no advantage over iron sights when it comes to accuracy as he learns how to use the rifle.

Blammer
10-30-2016, 08:22 PM
CVA Wolf has my vote, bought two of them, very pleased with both.

Both have decent scopes on them and they really help in the accuracy dept and confidence with new shooters. Especially if you don't have the time to dedicate to teaching him the fine art of shooting with open sights.

My son used one with a scope to get his first deer after missing one with my open sighted muzzleloader.

I shoot 80gr of FFG and a sabot with a 44 cal SWC-HP that I cast. Dropped a nice 10 pt with it this year and my brother using his CVA Wolf dropped a nice 5pt with his this weekend.

Buttonbuck
10-30-2016, 08:26 PM
I've considered having him shoot the 62 renegade rifle bob Hoyt rebooted to 1 in 66 with a light load. My kids do well with peep sights that are on some of the guns. This one has the TC peep with the fiber optic front sight. The goal of this rifle was to get it out to 100 yards. With a good group. Needs some range work. I was looking for the quickest solution. We also have a 20 gauge youth model that shoots pumpkin balls out to 40 yards well. There seems to be a good number of folks that like the TC omega.

Themoose
10-30-2016, 08:27 PM
I paperpatch my cast bullets for my Knight inline. Taken 3 deer in last two year. Check out Idahoron's posts in muzzleloader section. By

10-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Wonder if they still make the "Buck Horn"? In line from -- I THINK-- CVA. Dirt cheap and built right. Gave one to a friend as a gift and it's a shooter.

fiberoptik
10-31-2016, 01:05 AM
Dangerous Spanish made muzzleloaders. (Of which I own 4)
http://www.randywakeman.com/DangerousMuzzleloadersAHistory.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koger
10-31-2016, 09:25 PM
I have the CVA Kodiak, their version of the TC Omega. Mine has deep cut threads, on BP and barrel, mirror bore and shoots 95grs of2ffg behind a 295 powerbelt with ease, MOA at 100yds. Guess my wife just got lucky!

GoexBlackhorn
11-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I'm wanting to purchase an inline that I can put a scope on so my kids can shoot it. I also want to keep cost down so vast sabots and lead conicals are on the radar. Any models shoot cast well. I already have over a half dozen side locks from 32-62 main gun is 54 cal renegade. I did find a new grey scout by TC. But you get mixed reviews on them.

You can buy a bulk 100-pk of Hornady XTPs in 240,250 or 300 grain cheap, in reloading bullet aisles. Then walk over to the muzzleloader section and buy two 50-pks of Harvester Crush Rib Sabots cheap also (50/45cal or 50/44 cal). The Harvester crush ribs are sometimes hard to find. Buy them online at harvester website.

If you want a softer shooting bullets for kids, bulk bulk XTPs in either 185 or 200 grain. Most of these are 44-cal, meaning the green plastic sabot 50/44 in muzzleloading aisles. They may say Traditions, T/C or Knight on the package. These-type regular sabots found in stores may not fit the 240, 250 or 300 grain XTPs well..... meaning hard to load. That's why I recommend the Harvester crush ribs.

DougGuy
11-01-2016, 11:44 AM
I bought a White when they were available, it only worked well with Knight sabots and the White 405gr swaged hp but would cloverleaf a playing card @ 100yds over 2 pyrodex pellets.

That was many years ago, been a long time since I shot it, have enough meat in the freezer that I didn't need to hunt ML seasons.

I suppose I would try the Knight sabots or some other of the hi tech base pads with some different cast boolits now and could probably get it to work good.

Buttonbuck
11-05-2016, 08:44 PM
I found a nice disc rifle by knight for 100.00 it fit the kids so we'll try to work it out. Suggested sabots? Conicals and loads with loose powder appreciated.

fiberoptik
11-06-2016, 01:01 AM
I would like to find a White I could afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddydogs
11-10-2016, 10:33 AM
I shoot a Knight and Vortek Strikerfire inline with lead bullets. My hunting load is a 300 grain XTP in a Harvester crushed rib sabot but for practice and messing around I cast a Lee 452 300 grain RF bullet and load it in the same sabot. I have hunted with this bullet out of the old Knight rifle but changed to the XTP in the Vortek since I was looking for velocity and the XTP shot a little faster then the lead. The Lee bullet had no trouble killing a cow elk at 120 yards a few years ago, I probably should just shoot it instead of the XTP. I hunt the muzzy season due to way less people in the woods and not for the nostalgia of the muzzle loader so I go for fast and as flat shooting as I can in a muzzy while retaining enough energy to put the hurts on a big old bull.