PDA

View Full Version : problems with 9mm 102 gr boolit

anthont1
10-29-2016, 06:37 PM
I was given a nice lee mold 102 gr rn that I am trying to load for 9mm and 380 I have 2 taurus pt709's the first is working great takes everything I try no issues. The second is not wanting to load the rounds I started with oal of 1.030 which according to my book is the correct oal I am using unique been working between 4.3gr to 5.8gr so far as that is the only powder I have right now and it has worked great for the rest of the loads I have tried. I can get the first round to load but after firing the second round ends up jammed with a upwards angle coming out of the clip. I had the same issues with some factory rounds in the past but once I started reloading I found a nice load for it and have not had issues. Should I maybe increase the OAL I have tried decreasing it but 102 is not that long and do not want to take risks I cannot find a max OAL with this load only average?

Yodogsandman
10-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Which caliber is the one giving trouble?

Do you have another magazine that you could try?

You can try loading the O.A.L. a little longer. Say in 0.020" increments. Be sure that dummy rounds will pass the "ker plunk" test for chamber fit. Make sure that the dummy rounds will still fit the magazine. Try cycling the dummy rounds from the magazine.

anthont1
10-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Which caliber is the one giving trouble?

The second of my 9mm both are tuarus pt709 so far the 380 is working great

Do you have another magazine that you could try?

I have 3 magazines between the 2 guns they all work fine in the first but have issues with all in the second one

You can try loading the O.A.L. a little longer. Say in 0.020" increments. Be sure that dummy rounds will pass the "ker plunk" test for chamber fit. Make sure that the dummy rounds will still fit the magazine. Try cycling the dummy rounds from the magazine

I will be trying this tomorrow at the time I just checked that they would chamber and that the "ker plunk" worked but had not sat there and tried to cycle more then one at a time.

rond
10-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Swap the complete slides and see if the trouble stays with the frame or follows the slide.

Fordcragar
10-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Have you ever had problems with factory ammo feeding in that gun? When is the last time you cleaned/lubed that gun?

james nicholson
11-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Am I right in thinking your Tauruses are 1 380 acp and 1 9mm? If so the 9 has stronger recoil springs. It would need a heavier charge or a heavier bullet than the 380 to function reliably. If one is indeed 380 and the other a 9, DO NOT switch any thing other than mags.

anthont1
11-03-2016, 01:07 AM
my 380 is working great that is a tcp. the 2 i am dealing with are both 9mm pt709 both the same model i was able to switch the barrels and the problem stayed with the pistol. i tried swapping slides but by then i was running out of test ammo seemed to work better. I will have to test that again though i only had 7 rounds left then. I have previously had trouble with factory ammo in it. I got it working great with berry 120 jacketed but the cost was enough that I really want to be able to cast my own. I am going to try some more but the range has closed for next 2 weeks so i am now on hold untill i can get back out there.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-03-2016, 08:55 AM
I'd take a look at the feed ramp. Compare with the one gun that doesn't have the issue. Maybe it just needs a little polishing. Someone else mentioned recoil Spring...while it's not very scientific, compare the two guns by pulling the slide back, with no mag in the gun...can you 'feel' a difference? you could also swap springs during a shooting session, once you make some more ammo.
Good Luck

anthont1
11-18-2016, 11:31 PM
Today I was finally able to get back to the range. Since my last post I did check the OAL found out it could not go any further in that gun. I discovered that the egector had some junk under the edge that had been there since I bought the gun. I had thought that it was just the blue but get to cleaning it extra good and discovered that I had not been doing as good as I thought. After all this went out tested 21 rounds through it only 1 had trouble but I figured out I will need different bullet. The tip got caught on the feed ramp barely where it first starts, so something that will allow a slightly longer oal. I did eliminate multiple issues with the gun after everything though.

anthont1
12-01-2016, 08:28 PM
I was sent some boolits to try and have found that the Lee 356-120-TC seems to cycle great and sits in the magazine much nicer. I am waiting to recieve the matching mold to load some and confirm they fire as well as they hand cycle. Excited to be making progress with this. Will update with final results but looks promising.