PDA

View Full Version : Un expected boat ride

tomme boy
10-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Yesterday me an the other half decided to go on a short overnight camping trip. We loaded up the boat and headed out to one of the islands here on the Mississippi River. It was a beautiful day and into the night . Then about 1:30am i was woke by a pain in my side. I stood up and it was like someone ran a spear through me.

i knew right away, Kidney Stones! My GOD they hurt! it took about 35 minutes of hell then the pain started to lesson. Then all of a sudden, I passed out! woke up the old lady was freaking out. Then out i went again. the next thing i know i am taking a ride in the fire rescue boat. To the ER.

Got checked out and called a friend o take us back out to the island to get all of our stuff. So this afternoon they start again. I'm sitting here waiting to be taken for an xray.

Man, i dont know who i pissed off but i want this year to be over with !

waksupi
10-29-2016, 04:33 PM
That just don't sound like no fun at all!

pressonregardless
10-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Hope you get to feeling better soon. Danged kidney stones ain't fun......

Idz
10-29-2016, 05:04 PM
You have my sympathies. I've had several stones and gave up on the Dr treatment of morphine, percocet, and other painkillers that made me even sicker. I use self-hypnosis, ibuprofen, a six pack of beer, and hot baths and the stones work themselves out. Not fun but much better than the heavy drugs for me. Good luck!

Half Dog
10-29-2016, 05:12 PM
I sincerely hope you recover quickly. But for now, can you tell us more about the boat ride?

Half Dog
10-29-2016, 05:14 PM
^^^ And now I feel I should apologize for the comment.

leadman
10-29-2016, 08:12 PM
I've had some stones too. They doctor had to go in and blast the one with a laser as it was sharp and pointed and stuck in the tube. No fun at all. I do know what you are going thru and you have my sympathy.

fast ronnie
10-29-2016, 08:19 PM
They can be caused by several things, one being not drinking enough water. Lack of potassium can be another cause, but too much potassium can also cause other problems.
Black tea is good for you also. The wife says green tea is also good for you. Cranberry juice helps, too.

Bzcraig
10-29-2016, 11:34 PM
I would die a happy man if I never deal with them evil things again! Just dealt with one last week.

Bzcraig
10-29-2016, 11:36 PM
I sincerely hope you recover quickly. But for now, can you tell us more about the boat ride?

Though it was a bit on the 'dark humor' side, I thought it was funny.

WILCO
10-30-2016, 12:29 AM
Man, i dont know who i pissed off but i want this year to be over with !

Calendar dates don't change circumstance. Sure wish it did. Get well.

Blackwater
10-30-2016, 07:19 AM
Wow! I've never had one, but my DIL has had a couple, and she said she'd rather have another baby via natural birth than have another kidney stone! To go through that out in the woods on an island in the river HAD to be as tough as it gets! Glad you got good treatment. You must be one TOUGH hombre!

Wayne Smith
10-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Massive pain - enough to pass out! You have my sympathies - mine was bad enough and I didn't pass out. Praying for rapid recovery.

tomme boy
10-30-2016, 08:01 AM
So far everything is doing good. Have some leftover pain from the actual boulder that came out. The nurses and Dr's don't even have to look at my chart to know who I am when I'm there. Way too many times this year.

And I know dates do not have anything to do with it. It is a figure of speech and hopefully karma will be on my side for the time being.

We think we figured out why I was passing out. I have had a bunch of cortisone shots for a nerve block in my back for an up coming surgery. They have caused my blood sugars to go wild and out of control. I may have gave myself too much insulin and the sugars dropped too low. I ate a whole can of peaches right before they came and my sugar was 140 with no insulin. So pretty sure that may have been that part. They have been running in the low 400 range is why

NavyVet1959
10-30-2016, 08:22 AM
There are various types of kidney stones. Enough different types that no matter what you eat or drink or the quantity of it, you could still be suspect to getting *some* type of stone.

First time I had one, it was late at night and I didn't know what it was and after a few hours of a lot of pain, I went to the emergency room. They let me lay on a table for more hours before eventually giving me something for the pain. They said that it was small enough that it would eventually pass and to drink a lot of water. They gave me a prescription for some oxy. I didn't like the addiction warnings that I read about it, so I avoided taking it unless the pain was just too much for me to withstand. Eventually, it "passed" and that was a "different" sort of pain, but a welcome pain.

Years later, I had another one, but I knew what it was at that time, so when the pain got more than I could stand, I took an oxy that was leftover from the previous prescription. That didn't do any good, so after another hour of pain, I took another one. Same thing an hour after that. At one point, I was starting to get concerned that I might be getting near the acetaminophen toxicity limits, but I decided I didn't care and took another one. Eventually, I drifted off to sleep...

mold maker
10-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Wife and I both had them in August. I passed mine and they had to blast hers.
For those fortunate enough to have never had the experience, Thank the Lord and pray to never have one.
It's by far the worst pain I have ever had, and it doesn't go away. It's like a knife in the back with a monkey twisting it every little bit. It's been my experience that will power is more effective than narcotic pain killers.

jcwit
10-30-2016, 08:57 AM
Hope the best for you, get well soon!

My Dad was a tough old guy, only saw him cry twice, once from kidney stones and once when Mom died.

smokeywolf
10-30-2016, 09:27 AM
YEP! I'm a member of this club.

I've had 3. Two were a trip to the hospital. One required intervention.

Pain? Nothing can describe that pain.

For me, and the rest of you in this club, I hope your next one is.....NEVER.

ole 5 hole group
10-30-2016, 10:48 AM
ME TOO:-D Passing out is not the norm, that's for sure.

I've had those attacks 3 times in my life - 1st time the pain lasted about 30 minutes and that was a long 30 minutes, as the war department had the car (1 car family back then and cell phones were unheard of) so I was just SOL relative to going anywhere. 2nd time I knew what to expect, so gutted it out, but after 45 minutes I decided this time was probably different, so off to the hospital I went but the stone passed as the vehicle was entering the hospital entrance lane, so I just told her to keep driving and take me home. 3rd time was a short one - lasted maybe 20 minutes and that was about 25 years ago - I haven't changed any eating, drinking or lifestyle habits, so I guess it's just the luck of the draw, if you get them or not.

Best wishes for your total recovery and not having to experience both the pain of the stone dropping down the tube and on the way out - ever again.;)

lightman
10-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Tomme, you've had a tough year. Hope things get better for you.

TXGunNut
10-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Had one earlier this year, passed it before I decided to do anything about it. I think that makes me lucky but I didn't think so at the time. I can't take oxy so I have learned to tough things out with ibu. Sometime it's good to have a high pain threshold.

kmw1954
10-31-2016, 02:02 AM
Haven't experienced that yet but I've had 3 minor heart attacks and a gall bladder attack. The gall bladder was far more painful. Even morphine did not relieve the pain. They gave me something stronger, which I can't recall it's name, which also didn't relieve the pain but it made me not care. 6hrs later they removed my gall bladder.

Silfield
11-01-2016, 07:31 AM
My sympathies with anyone who has had stones-its amazing how something so small can cause so much grief and pain!
I had a bad hit from one last year that got stuck in the tube from my kidney to bladder (8mm jagged stone), caused a back up in my kidney and nearly killed me! It tore a hole in my ureter and gave me sepsis. Lots of intervention from the docs, plenty of morphine and an emergency op to fit stents, catheters etc and I walked out the other side.
Working in a hot environment with lack of fluids and too much meat protein (is there such a thing!) is what mine got blamed on, so its a strict diet with 4 to 5 litres of water a day along with regular check ups seem to have me back on the straight and narrow but the diet sucks!
I am now officially referred to as a 'stoner' on my med notes.

smokeywolf
11-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Calcium alone usually doesn't cause a problem. It's when oxalic acid comes along and binds with the calcium that you end up with stones; calcium oxalate stones.

Silfield
11-01-2016, 09:12 AM

If only it was that easy.

tomme boy
11-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Pretty sure mine is from Diet Coke. Been told it is the phosphorus in it that is binding the calcium together.

mozeppa
11-05-2016, 06:41 AM
i've had 7 in a 4 year period.

the first one lasted 40 minutes....last one i passed on the 28th day and was sick
from urine poisoning for 28 days more.

next one will probably kill me.[smilie=w::takinWiz: