PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from around, or been to....

ghh3rd
10-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Thought a thread about where we are, or have been might be interesting. Wondering if it might snowball with "yeah, I used to live there" type of responses.

Anyway, born in Brooklyn in '53 (Gerritsen Beach), lived in Denver on Wabash Street off Colfax Ave. in early 60's, Kanta Mura Japan late 60's, Knob Nostor MO early 70's, Chicoppe MA 70's and St. Pete/Tampa mid 70's on. Fondest memories of going to go my grandparents cottage on Center Lake in Becket MA each summer when I was young. And in Brooklyn, the block parties when I was a kid, and my mother recalling that mothers were able to leave their babies in a buggy outside the grocery store while they shopped. And everyone knew their neighbors back then... amazing.

abunaitoo
10-28-2016, 10:37 PM
In the Old days, people were so respectful of one another.
Being a good part of the community was very important.
People would watch out for each other. Even if they didn't know them well.
What's happened to us????

shaner
10-29-2016, 05:24 AM
In the Old days, people were so respectful of one another.
Being a good part of the community was very important.
People would watch out for each other. Even if they didn't know them well.
What's happened to us????
I agree totally

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Blackwater
10-29-2016, 06:54 AM
I'm from Statesboro, GA, a little college town @ 50 mi. WNW of Savannah, and original home of the "Statesboro Blues," written by Blind Willie McTell. Willie used to stay at the old Jaeckyl Hotel in downtown, near the school for the blind that was located here at that time. He'd play and sing on street corners for change, and he must have done fairly well. He was one of the few guitarists who could play for Bessie Smith, who had her own unusual sense of timing. I think he just played it like he wanted to, and kept time, and let Bessie do with it what she willed. It's a growing college town with many very PC leaders. They "think they beez sumbody," mostly, but there are some good ones in our politics - just not enough. The college almost runs the town, and the "service community" surrounding it all does very well. Lots and lots of places to eat. We have a real mix of types of people here. Mostly just good ol' country folks, like those that attend my church, and peppered with the extreme PC college professors. I have to admit there are some good profs, too, but the only ones our local rag of a liberal newspaper writes about are the idjits. We have gangs here in that part of town where they typically hang out. Also have some truly primitive types of both races, who you need to keep an eye on. We have a good police and Sheriff's dept. - very professional and circumspect for "small town America." But the onslaught of liberalism has really taken its toll, along with the "entitlement" mentality. Most never read a book or learn anything after graduating high school. Some awfully talented folks, though, and the "I can do anything" spirit reigns pretty common here. Our industry is gone. The old foundry that once employed so many here is being dismantled. One of my closest friends was in charge of most of it. They're now taking down the building itself. Don't know if they'll take up the slab it was built on or not.

It's actually pretty cosmopolitan for a small southern town, at least in some ways, thanks to the college. Personally, I'd just as soon see that "diploma mill" go away, but that'll never happen. I think our politics would take a big step for the better if it weren't here, but .... we take what we've got to work with and do our best to make it something near "right."

My greatest joy is time spent on our little Ogeechee River - a marvelous place for a young lad to have grown up. I've written a song about it, partially, and need to finish it some time. Just expresses my love for that little river, and all it's meant to me. It's been called one of the last near pristine black water rivers (from which I derived my handle I use) in America. My family originally settled on its banks in 1763, and my direct lineage hasn't been more than 20 mi. from it since then. That old black mud gets in your veins, and it just keeps drawing you back like a bungee cord when you try to stray from it. Chock full of bass, stripers, bluegill, shellcrackers and those wonderful redbreast sunfish, that have been regarded as a local delicacy for eons now - a most highly aggressive and pugnacious sunfish! Plenty of woods, but most of it is pines, unfortunately. A small community nearby was an old turpentine settlement, and they still have an annual turpentine festival. A friend's wife is one of the planners for it each year, and he plays with his band for it annually.

Mostly, we're just plain, good ol' country folks who love life, no matter what it's serving up to us at any given time. Lots of lots of very flawed folks, but .... where isn't that true these days? Good will abounds, though, and ..... well, I have to grudgingly admit, I love the place. A man who doesn't love his home and roots just isn't much of a man, really, IMO, no matter how imperfect it might be. I live @ 5 mi. out of town, just far enough that most of the city life and folks don't matter much here, and close enough that it's really convenient to go there whenever I want or need to. If anything, I'll move further away from town, though. I'd love to build out on my small farm. There's a great place for it, but it'd kill my grandboys' hunting grounds, so .... that and lackamoney will probably keep me here for the duration. I can live with that, I think .... provided the Wicked Witch of the DC doesn't go in, at least.

Half Dog
10-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Nothing special here but I grew up and learned to dip snuff in Shreveport, LA.

WRideout
10-29-2016, 08:54 AM
I was born and raised in Oxnard California, fifty miles north of Los Angeles, and halfway to Santa Barbara. It's right where US 101 and the Pacific Coast Highway meet. Everybody has been there, but nobody remembers it. Oxnard was a largely agricultural town up into the sixties, when urban redevelopment in the Big City pushed a lot of people into the suburbs and made Oxnard and points north into a bedroom community.

When I was nineteen, I was desperate to get out of the house, and so joined the US Army in 1972. Went to Ft Ord for basic, then Ft Lewis WA first duty station. I finished out my tour with a year in Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany, as a medic in a Pershing missile battalion. We actually had warheads back then, and the cold war was in full force. The Germans loved us, because the alternative was to have the Russians take over. I was in Germany when Saigon fell in 1975.

After mustering out of the army, I lived in Ventura CA for a year, then moved to Chico, California, to go to college at Chico State U. The state prison is in Chino, CA at the other end of the state, and people were always asking me how I liked it in Chino. I would tell them it was the other state institution. I loved the Northern Central Valley, and that is where I seriously took up hunting and fishing. Waterfowl were everywhere in the rice growing country around Sacramento. When I was in school there was a split between the city folk from the Bay Area, and the local small town people. You could tell by looking which was which.

After college I took my family back to Oxnard, and began a career in environmental science (don't judge me.) I worked for Ventura County for a while, including a stint with the Sheriff's Crime Lab where I did blood alcohol testing and occasional firearms work and toxicology. In 1986 I moved to Lompoc, next to the Watergate prison, and eventually landed a job at Vandenberg AFB, handling the hazardous waste and wastewater that comes from a missile launch operation. When the cold war ended, I transferred to Oak Ridge TN and worked on the environmental cleanup at the nuclear research facilities there. In the late 1990's, the federal government cut off much of the funding for that project, and I ended up working in Greensburg PA at an electrical manufacturing plant.

Nowadays I am in Butler PA, which is a smallish town that somewhat resembles Oxnard where I grew up (except for the snow). I made a career change a while ago, and am now a drug and alcohol counselor at a halfway house. Butler is just north of Pittsburgh, in the rust belt where the main industries have all vanished. Many people in Butler commute to Pittsburgh, which is oddly becoming a center of high technology.

Wayne

Budzilla 19
10-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Grew up in a small town in SW Louisiana, named Longville. Forestry was the main business, had a gravel pit. Graduated high school, went a semester to college,( wasn't for me) went to work, never looked back! Married a good Cajun red headed woman, had some kids, moved five miles from where I grew up, bought a house with my own shooting range on the property, spent 13 years on the road working, then came home to raise two llttle grandsons after my oldest son passed away, so I'm here now and loving every day!!! Cast boolits, learning to PC, hunting, fishing, lots of teaching little boys to be good men someday! That's my story.

jcwit
10-29-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm born raised and live in No. Indiana, growing up out town was only 1,000 folks, today it's around 3 or 5 thousand, haven't looked it up lately. Anyone here ever visit Shipshewana, Ind, not the town I live in but pretty darn close!
If you've never visited here, please do, lots of friendly folks, myself excluded, LOL.

JWT
10-29-2016, 05:18 PM
I grew up in Westland, Michigan where everyone's job was tied to the auto industry. Went to college at WMU in Kalamazoo, Michigan (the home of Bell's beer). Working for GM has lead me to spend large amounts of time living in Arlington Texas, Moraine Ohio, Oklahoma City, Shreveport Louisiana, Spring Hill Tennessee, Lordstown Ohio, and Janesville Wisconsin. I still live in Michigan in a suburb of Detroit called Berkley.

The problem with all that travel is that you get to find the best foods. I can't eat barbecue up north anymore, it's just doesn't measure up. And I've been craving a good crawfish etouffee for years...

WRideout
10-31-2016, 09:31 PM
I grew up in Westland, Michigan where everyone's job was tied to the auto industry. Went to college at WMU in Kalamazoo, Michigan (the home of Bell's beer). Working for GM has lead me to spend large amounts of time living in Arlington Texas, Moraine Ohio, Oklahoma City, Shreveport Louisiana, Spring Hill Tennessee, Lordstown Ohio, and Janesville Wisconsin. I still live in Michigan in a suburb of Detroit called Berkley.

The problem with all that travel is that you get to find the best foods. I can't eat barbecue up north anymore, it's just doesn't measure up. And I've been craving a good crawfish etouffee for years...

When I moved to Pittsburgh area from TN, I realized there were some things you just don't hear around here, like,
1. That looks like a good place for barbecue.
2. There's no place to get a pizza around here.
3. Let's go juggin' for muskies.
4. That snowplow blade ruins the looks of my truck

samari46
10-31-2016, 10:49 PM
Used to live on 179th street, Jamaica New York then in Elmont long island ny. After I got married we lived in Elmont for a bunch of years. Nice neighborhood with some great folks for neighbors. Always attended the local firehouse parties and had great fun, course one of my neighbors was a Capt in the fire dept and that helped. We supported them when they had their funding drives. After I retired moved to New Iberia, Louisiana and will be here until they shovel the dirt over me. Been down here over 20 years and do not have to shovel snow, ice storms and cold. Frank

Freightman
10-31-2016, 10:56 PM
Hard to beat good southern bar-b-q. I have lived my 77 years in the Texas
panhandle, the forgotten part of Texas, I have seen hail the size of a vollyball ,sand storms where it was dark at noon blizzards with 90 mph wind range fires with the same 90mph wind. Our rivers run under ground but it is home you can see 30 miles on a clear day , and no one beats our sunsets .

Rufus Krile
10-31-2016, 11:32 PM
Born and raised in Sherman, TX up north of Dallas. College in Nacogdoches, army in El Paso and San Angelo (and other less desirous places), and oilfield after that in, mostly, South Texas. Retired for about 5yrs now and happy as a clam. (That would be a clam with the aches and pains of your average 69yr old curmudgeon...)

Land Owner
11-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Rufus, I resemble those remarks...but was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. The Coast Guard is big here and I did my stint in the military with them. This state is very good about growing Tourists. Hunting and fishing are superb though. I have been to the Arctic, the Antarctic, "everything" in the Pacific in between those two, and quite a few places in Europe. New Zealand is very nice. Australia is superb. I look forward to the "forever weekend" time of life, still a few years ahead of me, rather than this work-a-day world of deadlines, submittals, proposals, contracts, clients, and demands. Getting into the woods to plant food plots, sight in a rifle, or just sit and watch for wildlife in season is such a relief.

Isaac
11-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Born and raised in the Baltimore suburbs. During my youth, depending on the direction, you could be 5-8 miles out of the city and be in the country with folks who had never been in the city. I-95 took care of that. Urban sprawl, gov't jobs and corporations have made 50-100 mile commutes the norm. Met my wife 37 years ago, began having children and fled west to what used to be Western Maryland. In a few more years that area will be just the western edge of D.C and Baltimore urban areas. Wife retired last year. I have six more to go to retire for a second time. Looking for some place out of Maryland to spend our glory days.

Isaac.

Shawlerbrook
11-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Spent my entire life in Upstate NY. Born in Utica and lived in Syracuse, Albany, Schenectady and now in rural Chenango County. But I have traveled to Canada, Maine, Florida, Texas ,California and the entire east coast. Still a lot of places on my bucket list.

Harter66
11-03-2016, 06:37 PM
I was born a desert rat ..... Right dead center of the Mojave desert .
Early on we spent 2 hunting seasons in Moab UT then back to the desert . That lasted until school was out . We left the Inyo and Kern county lines at the 395/14 jct and went north stopping 60 miles out US 50/95A in 1975 . My folks ran a boarding kennel and grooming shop there from 76-96 . I bounced around some . The 7 months I spent in Wichita ks was the longest 10 yr of my life . Back home to the desert . I lived in Reno and a couple of other little burgs finally settling down at Walker Lake.

Life calls and it is getting to be time for me to give back the 18 yr Mom and Dad spent on little only me . Next stop about 90 miles north of Texarkana TX,AR ........... I'll have to vacation in a wood kiln about once a month so I don't drown .....

The Governor
11-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Thought a thread about where we are, or have been might be interesting. Wondering if it might snowball with "yeah, I used to live there" type of responses.

Anyway, born in Brooklyn in '53 (Gerritsen Beach), lived in Denver on Wabash Street off Colfax Ave. in early 60's, Kanta Mura Japan late 60's, Knob Nostor MO early 70's, Chicoppe MA 70's and St. Pete/Tampa mid 70's on. Fondest memories of going to go my grandparents cottage on Center Lake in Becket MA each summer when I was young. And in Brooklyn, the block parties when I was a kid, and my mother recalling that mothers were able to leave their babies in a buggy outside the grocery store while they shopped. And everyone knew their neighbors back then... amazing.

Hey, might shoot at Bill Jacksons Friday. LMK if you want to go.

06ackley
11-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Born and raised in northern Indiana. Grew up in Goshen now work in middlebury. Jcwit you are correct Shipshewana is a nice town just not on Wednesday in the summer...

Scorpion8
11-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Thought a thread about where we are, or have been might be interesting.

I was born in (then) West Germany to an Army Dad. We moved all over the East Coast, but we called Philly home. Finally settled in Gettysburg, PA when Dad retired after 32 years in the Army where I went to high school. Joined the Navy thru NROTC in college, and spent all my Navy tours up and down the east coast (Newport, RI; Philly, PA; Norfolk, VA) except for a single jaunt out west (Monterey, CA) which was like a trip to a different solar system. Weird politics. Anyway my last tour in the Navy they exiled me to a radar station (well, not really) in Alaska. Remote duty in Juneau with a small staff of contingency planners. Loved it so much I retired here. I had the last laugh on them. 20 years later I still love it here. Ya'll come visit now, ya'hear!

Harter66
11-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Gotta add to mine a little . I've been from Phoenix Arizona all the way to Tacoma , Texahoma down to ol San Anton ,El Paso ,Amarillo , LA and Sam Clemens was right about the coldest winter he ever spent being a summer in San Francisco . I've been to Toad Suck and French Lick and Round up . Bloomfield NOT Bloomington Indiana. Sydney and Minden Nebraska . Rock Springs , Laramie , Little America and Buford Wy , I was broken down in every one of them..... Helena , Enis , Dillion ,Quake Lake , Virginia and Nevada city Montana. Calgary and Nanton Alberta Canada . I've been farther south in Texas in Gonzales than when we went to San Quentin Baja Mexico (like canteen not the Cal prison) . I've been to Pueblo ,Los Animas ( interesting town , 6 way stop with a set of RR tracks right through the middle ) , Vail , Denver ,Green River and Grand Junction CO. Salt lake city,Logan ,Ogden ,Moab ,Kanab , Heber and Richfield Ut . At some point I've been in and bought something in every town from Reno to Riverside on 395 and from Barstow up 58 to 99 all the way to I80 and I5 from Chula Vista to San Francisco . Green leaf ,Cascade ,Boise , Nampa , Caldwell , Blackfoot Id .

I'm like road apples man I been everywhere .

Greg S
11-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Born in Brooklyn in 64. My uncle and grandmother lived on Avenue O. We lived on Staten Island. I remember the Italian sausage wheels on the bbq, bushels of clams from Sheepshead Bay and the Italian Bakery on Flatbush or there abouts. My uncle and I would go there to get fresh pastries after the family Sunday dinner. From 71-72, Visalia, CA, 72-82 Orange County, CA (got out just in time) to the service. In95 I got out an settled somewhat in the PNW, then in 02 north to AK.

jonp
11-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Hard to beat good southern bar-b-q. I have lived my 77 years in the Texas
panhandle, the forgotten part of Texas, I have seen hail the size of a vollyball ,sand storms where it was dark at noon blizzards with 90 mph wind range fires with the same 90mph wind. Our rivers run under ground but it is home you can see 30 miles on a clear day , and no one beats our sunsets .
Ate at The Big Texan more than once, no I didnt go for the steak, and rolled through Dalhart a number of times. Only tornado that ever chased me was when I was running south from Borger on 207.

starbits
11-04-2016, 11:07 PM
I was born in Kyoto, Japan about 6 months after the Korean War broke out. Mom was an RN in Japan and Dad was in Korea. Dad was career military, 26 years, and we moved a lot. We moved 9 times in 9 years during one stretch and I went to 5 different high schools, 2 in Virginia, 2 in Arizona and 1 in California. After college I went into the Army were I wound up moving another dozen+ times over the next 20 years. Found my wife at one of those stops, Ft Lee, VA, 32 years ago. Between my Dad and I, in 46 + years we never did a tour in Europe, but we did 7 tours in the Pacific, 2 in Japan, 3 in Korea, he did Viet Nam and I did Hawaii. After I retired from the Army we moved to Tucson and I went back to college. After graduating I went to work for one of my professors and retired a second time a few years ago. I think in my life the longest I have ever lived in one spot without moving is 4 years. I've seen a lot, but the down side is that aside from my siblings I have no friends that predate my junior year of college.

Harter66 Most years I drive from Tucson to visit my best friend in Klamath Falls Or. I drive right past Walker Lake. Your location description of being "5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere" is an exaggeration. You have got to be closer than 5 miles.

Starbits

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-04-2016, 11:20 PM
I've lived in small town MN all my life, if fact I've never ventured outside of MN for longer than 2 weeks at any one time.

Harter66
11-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Starbits ,
Only with the lake down so far.....

ghh3rd
11-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Oh, high school... when I started this thread I forgot to mention having gone to three high schools since I was an Air Force brat and moved around a lot.

Chofu HS in Japan, Knob Noster HS in MO, and Chicopee HS in MA. I was in Chicopee HS (the third and final HS) for a couple of months when someone took me from class to the principals office. I thought I was in trouble but was shown a list of subjects I had taken in my prior two HS and was told that I was being moved from the 11th grade to the 12th grade. My friends expressions were priceless :-).

WRideout
11-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Born and raised in Sherman, TX up north of Dallas. College in Nacogdoches, army in El Paso and San Angelo (and other less desirous places), and oilfield after that in, mostly, South Texas. Retired for about 5yrs now and happy as a clam. (That would be a clam with the aches and pains of your average 69yr old curmudgeon...)
My stepfather grew up in Sherman. WWII vet, he ended up in CA, like a lot of people do. When he was a kid he tried unsuccessfully to exterminate the jackrabbits that were everywhere.

Wayne

Cariboo
11-19-2016, 09:11 PM
born in Minneapolis, raised in Delaware and settled in BC. I have been in 49 states, 6 provinces and 6 other countries

Ken in Iowa
11-25-2016, 10:35 AM
I was born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa. Many of my childhood friends still live in the old neighborhood. I moved to a suburb many years ago and will probably die here.

My wife was raised in a small Iowa town. We both had a safe environment to grow up in. Families and friends are close here. The term 'friend of the family' is well understood.

Hunting has changed since I was a kid. Pheasant and quail populations are down where deer and turkey population is up.

Down South
11-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Born and raised in a small village called Clayton La. It reminds me of Mayberry with a sheriff about the same as Andy except he drank.
That place has changed greatly over the yrs since I grew up there. My grand parents raised me and Granddad was the mayor when he passed.
I live about 45 miles from there now on a lake in the middle of nowhere.

shdwlkr
11-29-2016, 01:23 PM
I was born and grew up in a small town in upstate ny, I was a runt and yes bullies existed back then too, what saved me is dad put me to work on a neighbors farm and I went from a runt into a 6 foot 4in tall 265 pound kid. Never did see myself as being big though. After high school went to college, got caught up in that thing called Vietnam War. Spent 7 years in Army left as a SFC with messed up back and shattered patellas. Worked for 38 years for NYSDOT and then left think divorce and all the fun it creates. I have been to Canada, Virgina, Missouri, Florida, Utah, New Mexico, and currently in Idaho. In the military saw a few other places but can't say as I was never offically there if you understand, few will ever know what really went on while I was in the Army, some think they know but only pieces I want them to know. My record has been sanitized by me so there is nothing there I didn't want left, had two generals sign off on my changes and they even asked if I was sure I wanted it left this way and I told them that one day as a old man I might say something and if there is nothing to back it up it is just and old man not remembering things right.
I would love to see Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Israel, but health issues have taken them off the plate for me. So if I travel it has to be either here in my own country or Canada and that is just fine with me. One has to accept as we age things change and either we change and go with the new us or we just waste the time we have left on this earth

Forgot to mention I have traveled across the US from Idaho to NY and got see the Mississippi river so low you could walk across and most likely not get yourself wet. Have to do it again this coming summer to re-roof a family members house in NY so as to cut down on cost, might even have to do a garage roof also depending on if the idiot that did it left enough to make it work or not. When I travel across country usually plan on 3 days each way, it is a long trip and lots and lots of time behind the wheel.

cabezaverde
11-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Where in upstate NY?

I was born and grew up in a small town in upstate ny, I was a runt and yes bullies existed back then too, what saved me is dad put me to work on a neighbors farm and I went from a runt into a 6 foot 4in tall 265 pound kid. Never did see myself as being big though. After high school went to college, got caught up in that thing called Vietnam War. Spent 7 years in Army left as a SFC with messed up back and shattered patellas. Worked for 38 years for NYSDOT and then left think divorce and all the fun it creates. I have been to Canada, Virgina, Missouri, Florida, Utah, New Mexico, and currently in Idaho. In the military saw a few other places but can't say as I was never offically there if you understand, few will ever know what really went on while I was in the Army, some think they know but only pieces I want them to know. My record has been sanitized by me so there is nothing there I didn't want left, had two generals sign off on my changes and they even asked if I was sure I wanted it left this way and I told them that one day as a old man I might say something and if there is nothing to back it up it is just and old man not remembering things right.
I would love to see Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Israel, but health issues have taken them off the plate for me. So if I travel it has to be either here in my own country or Canada and that is just fine with me. One has to accept as we age things change and either we change and go with the new us or we just waste the time we have left on this earth

Forgot to mention I have traveled across the US from Idaho to NY and got see the Mississippi river so low you could walk across and most likely not get yourself wet. Have to do it again this coming summer to re-roof a family members house in NY so as to cut down on cost, might even have to do a garage roof also depending on if the idiot that did it left enough to make it work or not. When I travel across country usually plan on 3 days each way, it is a long trip and lots and lots of time behind the wheel.

shdwlkr
11-29-2016, 08:08 PM
I grew up in the southern tier near the Pennsylvania border, worked in Rochester, Buffalo area, was last in Albany area where I retired.

Cariboo
11-30-2016, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=shdwlkr;3859586 So if I travel it has to be either here in my own country or Canada and that is just fine with me. One has to accept as we age things change and either we change and go with the new us or we just waste the time we have left on this earth

Forgot to mention I have traveled across the US from Idaho to NY and got see the Mississippi river so low you could walk across and most likely not get yourself wet. Have to do it again this coming summer to re-roof a family members house in NY so as to cut down on cost, might even have to do a garage roof also depending on if the idiot that did it left enough to make it work or not. When I travel across country usually plan on 3 days each way, it is a long trip and lots and lots of time behind the wheel.[/QUOTE]
Are you by chance near(within a hour )of Porthill? I've made the trip from central BC to southern Del a couple of times. I can fully agree with the lots and lots of time behind the wheel.

shdwlkr
11-30-2016, 03:21 PM
cariboo
i am in the southwest corner of idaho
forgot I have been to the Ukraine also would love to go back, but things there and health prevent that from happening, got to love getting older and accepting life changes as we age

paul h
11-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Born and raised in the CA bay area, and spent a lot of time around Lake Tahoe so learned to enjoy mountains and winter sports. Spent our honeymoon in Alaska and I fell in love with the state before the plane even touched down. Moved up nearly 20 years ago.

It's been a great place to raise kids. All the good opportunities of a city in regards to cultural events, and wilderness a short drive away. We were in Eagle River and then moved to Anchorage two years ago. Eagle River was a nice little suburb with roughly half the population active duty military. I'm eternally grateful for the service of the men and women in the military, but it was tough on the kids as many of their friends would be gone after a few years. Funny thing is when we moved up we swore we'd not live "in the city" Well we're on the outskirts of Anchorage and by and large our neighbors are wonderful friendly people and we've found the same with our kids friends parents. Plenty of places I'd like to visit, can't think of wanting to live anywhere else.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/4601099402_54BD52D115217C7BF96A5DF0B8E7BBEE.jpg

I've traveled a little bit around the state for work, and have been to Singapore and Kazakhstan for work as well. Once the kids are all in college my wife and I are planning to spend some more time traveling. Someday I'd like to visit all the states, so far I've just hit the West Coast and North East down to NC.

Cariboo
12-01-2016, 04:12 AM
cariboo
i am in the southwest corner of idaho

A little further afield then I'll be traveling shdwlkr . I get down to the Nelson / Castlegar, BC area every so often to visit a son and a couple of Granddaughters. Next trip down I'll need to drop down into Washington but could cross into Idaho first. Should you be traveling in central BC, if I'm around the coffee or tea is on

MT Gianni
12-01-2016, 09:10 AM
I was born in Northern Utah and have lived there til I was 22, SE Idaho til I was 32, and Western MT for the last 30 + years. I prefer to live within five miles of a town with under 1500 population. I have visited as a tourist, Alberta Canada Edmunton to Banff, Mexico; driving from El Paso to Durango then over the Sierra to Matzatlan, N to Arizona, flown to Mexico City, Cancun, Villa Hermosa and bused to a bunch in between, Palenque to Tulum. Visited Germany, Albania, Greece and Italy, Chile, Argentina, Uraguay and the Falkland Islands [Malvinas]. Hope to get out some more and see stuff. I have never driven east of Texas other than in a rental car around cities. Every time I go to the Southern US humidity gets to me so a week is my limit.