PDA

View Full Version : School me on the current state of the 450 Bushmaster...please

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-28-2016, 10:44 AM
I really like this round in the AR platform. Uppers and ammo are still readily available. But it seems to be flat lining. I see very little new load data for it (especially for cast). What do you think? Also any history of bolt breakage with this round?

rintinglen
10-29-2016, 12:13 PM
My observation is that this round was an answer to a seldom asked question. It is basically a slightly under-powered 444 marlin for use in Armalite Rifle Platforms. It reduces the capacity of the magazine to take it out of the tactical crowds fancy and doesn't quite have enough cachet to sway most hunters. Now I am a fan of the 327 Federal, but I have no delusions of it becoming the next big thing. It is a niche cartridge, not unlike the 450 Bushmaster, appealing to a small minority of shooters.

There seems to have been a problem with some of the earlier production guns failing. Bushmaster blamed it on cheap ammo, and others alleged that the guns were faulty, but I haven't heard that in several years. I suspect that the ammo manufacturers and the Gun Builders got together and toughened up the guns and weakened the ammo until such things stopped happening.

The handful of fellows to whom it was of interest got theirs, tried it out, and put it in the safe for the once-in-while trip out to the range. Most people lost interest in an oddball cartridge that wasn't likely to be found on the shelves of the local gunshop when the great Obama sell-a-thon cleaned off all the ammo racks. I see a lot of .223's and 9mms at the ranges I frequent--not so many 45/70's and 44 specials.

dondiego
10-29-2016, 12:55 PM
It has been approved in Lower Michigan's shotgun deer hunting area and is getting more popular here. Ruger has come out with a bolt gun chambered for the .450 BM. I think that Indiana did same. A 45-70 TD is illegal here for deer but an AR in .450 BM is not! Go figure.

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-29-2016, 10:11 PM
To my thinking it is an excellent answer to a "seldom asked question". It is a powerful round for the most popular, lightweight rifle. Powerful enough to take anything on this continent. But put in a small package. Seems like it should be a reloader's/caster's delight, if only there were data for it.

Gtek
10-30-2016, 09:45 AM
The current state of mine, it is waiting for November 5 to go for an airboat ride and first trip on the marsh. I purchased a Bushy upper and was a little disturbed with factory assembly, barrel nut, torque, gas tube alignment. Complete tear down and put together with care and I really have liked so far. I have sixty rounds through it and first time out rounds 8 and9 were cutting X @ 50. Rounds 11 through 60 have cut a 1 1/2" holes since with factory and they were clicking 2215 average over Chrony with a small spread. Magazines were an issue for me personally, factory aluminum were scarring/gouging badly, Lancer is the way to go unmodified. I went crazy and spent a lot of time experimenting and really modifying 10 round PMAGS, they have worked flawlessly for forty rounds on three round runs. I planned on hunting with it and the short mag is perfect, one engaged and two more in pockets. Expensive yes, but I enjoyed the battle and cannot wait to see performance on game. I have some time with the FTX 325/45-70 on deer and piggy and have seen first hand the good and bad but overall 250 grains at 2200 FPS in an AR platform, quick mag change, comes in black, I am a fan.

Gtek
10-30-2016, 10:57 AM
And the 9th edition Hornady has loading information.

WFO2
10-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Mine is highly effective on my land for hogs .I shot stopper for sure using factory ammo . I still toying with casting for it .

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-30-2016, 01:49 PM
WFO2: What do you cast/load for it?

WFO2
11-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Have not starting casting for it yet .