PDA

View Full Version : Fire forming brass test!

Freightman
06-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I came up with a '91 Argentine Mauser (sporterized) and bieng a cheap skate wasn't wanting to spend any money on brass so I formed some from some old 7.7 Jap brass I had in my scrap bin. I wanted it to fit the chamber so I put .5cc 231 in the cases and filled it to the neck with corn meal then stuck some 125g boolits I had cast when I had a SKS, no gas cks except for one that was lying therer a 180g with a gas ck. Well the wind got up 50MPH so I didn't want to go to the range as it would have been a waisted trip of 16 miles.
So I went to the firewood shed and got me a 8" log of still wet cottonwood set it in the back of the shop and shot the lead into it, (with the doors shut) wife said she couldn't hear it so I was ok. Fire formed the brass , so I took my maul and split the log here is why W-W are not optimum for hunting. They had penetrated 3 to 4" with no more powder than I had, here are what they looked like the only distortion is when one hit the other.

kir_kenix
06-10-2008, 11:58 PM
You are a cheap skate! Making brass, using almost no powder...and recovering your brass. Heck, you can probably re-lube and fire those again.

Seriously tho, I didn't know that 7.65 Argentine brass could be formed out of 7.7 Jap brass. Good use of available resources and coming up with good results.

I think I might have a few dozen pieces of once fired Norma Argentine brass if you want it. I'd be happy to send them to you if I can find them.