PDA

View Full Version : Second buck I've ever seen hunting and I didn't/couldn't shoot it

ghh3rd
10-24-2016, 12:25 AM
I started hunting in 2010 at age 56, and have enjoyed lots of great experiences over the years, except for bringing something home. It seems that everyone else shoots, sees or at least hears game, but I rarely do. I blame it on my ears always ringing, my nose always being stuffy, my eyes changing as soon as I get a new pair of glasses and always having floaters that look like something moving around. I consider it my way of giving them a 'sporting chance'.

Before yesterday I had seen only one buck while hunting a few years ago from my climber during Muzzleloader. It was walking about 30 yards away and filled up the 4x scope with brown. I couldn't tell where I was looking, lowered it and raised it and lowered it again a few times and finally got crosshairs where I wanted them and took the shot. I remember jerking the trigger... my friend was right, I got a case of buck fever. I thought I had nailed it, and my hands were shaking, but no blood, no hair, no buck.

Yesterday, during Muzzleloader I sat across from lots of fresh tracks on a sandy fire road from 6a - 8:30 and saw nothing. I was cold so I started walking very slowly down the fire road, and after about half a mile the bushes near the road exploded. A big buck jumped up and darted back and forth a few times and disappeared into the thick. I got the gun up but didn't see any more of him... no tail disappearing in the distance, just quiet. I stood very still and waited, and then noticed a small (6x6") brown patch between some trees, maybe 20 yards away. The trees and brush obscured everything else.

I put the scope just below the top of the brown and was very tempted to shoot, thinking I might hit the spine, but was worried that it wouldn't work out and I would have a maimed deer running away. I decided to stay very still, and wait for it to make it's move, hopefully by sticking his head out... but his next move about a minute later (seemed forever) was to bolt out and take a couple more leaps into the brush and he was out of sight.

I keep second guessing myself, because I really, really wanted to send the 360 gr TC Maxi Ball flying and redeem myself... after all I was standing only 20 yards from a big beautiful buck and didn't take a shot. I think that I made the right choice though... I think. I don't know what my friends will think when I tell them.

But now I know where he lives :-) and General Gun is coming up in two weeks.

Randy

KMac
10-24-2016, 12:59 AM
I kinda had the same thing happen to me when I first started hunting. Now I was 15 but it really is the same no matter what age you are. I always had something happen to keep me from getting a buck. Went to sleep one time and had one wake me up and he took off when I brought up the gun, had a model 100 that I borrowed for the day because my model 700 sling came loose and the barrel got filled with mud. I wasn't used to the model 100 and I didn't rack it all the way. Big eight point came out 20 yards away and just got a click when I pulled the trigger. He took off at the click.
Anther time a buck came out about 50 yards away and when I went to take the model 700 off of safety it fired. Had about 3 years of that and then I killed a 4 point right where I shot at him and since then I haven't had any more incidents like that. The most important part to me of hunting is being out in the woods whether I get anything or not. If I get something that is just icing on the cake. Just enjoy the hunt and it will work out for you.
And don't second guess yourself. If the shot ain't perfect, don't take it and don't worry about it. You hunt enough you will get your share.

OnHoPr
10-24-2016, 01:29 AM
I didn't know you could get cold in FL. They do make light hunting coat.

@Kmac I don't know about you, but if I am out hunting, I am hunting, not bird watching for some BS reason. And I shoot at running deer from any angle.

corbinace
10-24-2016, 01:50 AM
I am with KMac here. The hunt is not only to be considered successful if you fill the freezer. If that were the case, I would hunt at Safeway. It is the thrill and tension of the stalk and just being out in the quiet, along with so many other things as to make the shot almost inconsequential.

Ghhrd, I think you did well. That 6x6 patch could have just as easily been another hunters dog or worse. You made the right choice and have a great tale to tell around the fire. You experienced the thrill and are the richer for it.

Congratulations on getting out there.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-24-2016, 03:32 AM
I think that you're to be commended for not shooting at a 6"x6" brown furry patch you couldn't positively identify. Those are the type of shots that result annually in tragic hunting accidents. One must always know for certain what it is that they are shooting at. You are an ethical hunter.

Duckiller
10-24-2016, 04:20 AM
I would also like to compliment you on not shooting at a small patch of brown. The first deer that just filled your scope so all you could see was brown you should have shoot it. Long ago and far away in New Hampshire in the Dartmouth Grant area a 8 pt buck tried to run me down. He stopped about 15 yards away .In a 4X scope all I could see was brown. As best as I could I tried for center of something and pulled the trigger. He instantly dropped. No deer is going to stand up to a 180 gr CCor-Loc from a 30/06 at 15yds. Secret of such a shot is to move scope back and forth and if you are just seeing brown you are pointing at somewhere in the main body. Shoot and eat venison that night.

WRideout
10-24-2016, 06:19 AM
I was out for early ML season here in SW PA over a week ago, and didn't see a thing. However, I had a good walk in the woods, got acquainted with the area I plan to hunt some more, and just generally got to unwind. Any time I can get out and be with nature, I consider it a successful hunt. I got my first deer, a button buck, after thirty-one years of hunting. I'm glad you still get out; hunting on a regular basis helps keep you young.

Wayne

white eagle
10-24-2016, 09:42 AM
no shame in my hunting world for not shooting what
you are not certain of,a good choice in my book
I remember when I first started hunting in the early 70's
I went for years without seeing or killing any deer,it happens
don't sweat it thing will change
I know what you mean about ringing in your ears/sucks

Hickory
10-24-2016, 09:59 AM
I'd like to commend you on your good judgment on not shooting when you were unsure on a killing shot.
3 years ago on opening day of gun season I walked into the woods and promptly jumped up an good size buck that ran 20 yds. and stopped and looked back to see what startled it.
My gun was up and I was ready to shoot and although it was only about 35 yds. out, I could not see to get a killing shot in the dark. I could see its head and rack but not anything of its body or my front sight.

Geezer in NH
10-24-2016, 10:02 AM
You made the right choice shoot nothing you are not positive what it is.

Next if I were you get rid of the scope you do not need one for close shots or get a 1.5 power one. myself I use a receiver sight in the close woods we have in NH. I have never sat on a field to hunt.

runfiverun
10-24-2016, 10:39 AM
I have learned to take the first best shot available to me.
a square patch of deer behind something isn't a best or second best shot, unless you already hit it and watched it go in there and stop.
at that point your guessing.

I remember my first Idaho deer pretty well I was using my 45 colt levergun and had just hiked two mountain ranges without seeing anything other than some grouse and squirrels.
when I got back down to about 50yds from the road I walked into the middle of a bunch of deer in the cedar trees.
I watched a little 4x4 walk behind one cedar tree and back out the other side only when it come out it was a spindly little 2x3 which I promptly shot.
I confirmed antlers and placed my boolit in the proper spot.
the explosion of deer around me was not something I was prepared for.
I had walked into the middle of about 30 deer [I guess I had rounded everything up walking all over like I did] and they were running every which direction around and in front of me making it hard to get a follow-up shot.
so I waited on the second shot, and headed towards where he went over a little hump about 30 yds away from me, thinking I was in for a tracking job.
he was dead on the other side.
you know I never did find that piece of brass, I bet I flung it 30' racking the lever like I'm sure I did.

anyway in all the confusion and deer movement I seen him heading sideways along the little ridge and way trying to pick out a second shot around a doe, but decided not to take the iffy shot.
which turned out to be the right decision, because the one with the doe was not the one I had originally shot but another buck about the same size.
it turned out there was 4 bucks in this group of deer all about the same body size and with about the same mass of antlers on their head.

longbow
10-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Another vote for the good choice you made not shooting. If you are not sure exactly what you are shooting at you should not take the shot. In this case, you knew it was deer but not what part and you don't want to wound the animal and have it get away.

I turned down a similar shot many years ago and have never regretted it. I have turned down shots bow hunting too.

If you are not sure you can place the shot where you want or you are not sure what you are looking at, don't take the shot.

Also, I am with Geezer in NH on his scope comment unless you have poor vision and need one then less magnification is in order.

Again, good choice!

Longbow

s mac
10-24-2016, 12:41 PM
I say the right choice also. It is called deer hunting not deer killing. Pick your shot.

Tailhunter
10-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Its not called spot shooting either.

No one should ever shoot at movement, spots of brown or anything else they aren't sure of. Its why I don't enjoy being in the woods with other people.

CITYREPO61
10-24-2016, 07:52 PM
I also say you made the right decision

Hogdaddy
10-24-2016, 08:18 PM
"Another vote for the good choice you made not shooting. If you are not sure exactly what you are shooting at you should not take the shot. In this case, you knew it was deer but not what part and you don't want to wound the animal and have it get away."

^^^^^^^^^^^AGRE 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ; )
H/D

castalott
10-24-2016, 08:20 PM
Good Choice! Shooting would have been like city people around here.... "A running shot... I heard something running thru the woods and I shot at it..."

Days of regret for wounding a deer.... Or a lifetime of regret for shooting something else.... You did good...

Blackhawk357
10-24-2016, 11:29 PM
You might consider iron sights. You cannot shoot what you cannot see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goose18557
10-25-2016, 12:24 AM
You will never regret a shot you didn't take as as much you would a shot you do and injure/mame

Traffer
10-25-2016, 01:40 AM
Never, ever, ever EVER, shoot at a brown fuzzy patch or anything else that you cannot positively identify as as a legitimate target! That is a good way to kill someONE! Thank you for not taking the shot.

I think that you're to be commended for not shooting at a 6"x6" brown furry patch you couldn't positively identify. Those are the type of shots that result annually in tragic hunting accidents. One must always know for certain what it is that they are shooting at. You are an ethical hunter.

Texas by God
10-25-2016, 08:08 AM
@Kmac I don't know about you, but if I am out hunting, I am hunting, not bird watching for some BS reason. And I shoot at running deer from any angle.[/QUOTE]

Enjoying the beauty around you is not a BS reason. Wounding a deer from any angle is BS. Best, Thomas.

thadfz
10-25-2016, 12:22 PM
You did the EXACT RIGHT thing in that situation. VERY SUCCESSFUL HUNT!!! Congratulations, sir.

KMac
10-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Never, ever, ever EVER, shoot at a brown fuzzy patch or anything else that you cannot positively identify as as a legitimate target! That is a good way to kill someONE! Thank you for not taking the shot.

I knew a young evangelist that was deer hunting for the first time. He heard something in the brush and saw something brown and what he thought were horns. Took a shot and killed the guy that he was hunting with. I don't think he has ever got over it. The guy he killed was actually the son of the preacher of the church that he was having the revival at.
The preacher of the church did not press charges and took him under his wing after that but it was a bad situation.
I always make sure that I absolutely know what I am shooting at and what is behind it.
Better to not take the shot than to have a tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenH
10-25-2016, 01:30 PM
I've never been able to understand the idea of shooting "at movement" or brown spot - just too dangerous. You did right by not taking the shot.

AggieEE
10-25-2016, 02:02 PM
+1 on not taking the shot. The next time you have the chance to look at a deer, mentally put a 6" square over the animal and move it around. You will see a lot of bad shot placements and only a few good ones. I was hunting on one place where the owner wanted the does and spikes removed, he had worked with the Texas game dept to come up with the numbers. I saw several deer one morning at first light. I had enough light to make a clean shot but not enough to tell if the animal had horns or not. I'm not fast enough to pull the trigger then realize that I made a mistake and grab the bullet as it leaves the barrel. Hearing bullets go by at close range is not something I want to experience. Once again good on you.

ChristopherO
10-25-2016, 09:23 PM
If I may suggest, learn to shoot with your scope with both eyes open. This way you are able to identify what part of the animal your cross hairs are on. My Grandfather taught me this and it really does work.

I understand all your second guessing but y made the correct decision in this instance.

Pumpkinheaver
10-25-2016, 09:31 PM
I applaud you for not shooting at an unknown part of a deer. They can run a long ways when not hit in a vital area. I have lost wounded deer and it is not a good feeling.

ghh3rd
10-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all of your replies... makes me feel better about my choice.

Texas by God
10-30-2016, 02:02 PM
My first season deer hunting(age 14) I killed a 6 point and a spike. I was the best hunter in the world! For the next seven seasons I never got a decent/ safe shot at a buck and does weren't allowed. But I enjoyed every single hunt soaking up the beauty of nature that God blessed us with. My dad taught me early on that you can't take that bullet back once you let it fly. I would gladly go hunting with you any time anywhere. You have proven yourself, sir. Best, Thomas.