PDA

View Full Version : Storing Freshly sized & lubed bullets?

Meatco1
06-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I would like to know some of the better ways to store freshly sized & lubed bullets, without smearing lube all over the darn things?

The lube I'm using:

1 lb beeswax
1 - 2 TBLSP vaseline
1 teaspoon Harley Carnuba wax
1 Teaspoon Crisco

There has to be a better way!!

Thanks,

Richard

pjh421
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I store 'em in the berm. In other words, I don't lube & size until I'm ready to load. You're right, what a mess.

Paul

Calamity Jake
06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Cigar boxes, the metal tins that cookies comes in at xmas time, rectanglur plastic fliptop boxes that Dillon sells, the transparant blue ones about 4x6x1 1/2.
Stack in rows filling the bottom then a thin cardboard sheet then another layer until full.
This lets you keep count too so you know if it is time to cast and or SL again.
Something with vertical sides and square or near square corners works best.

I shoot a lot or 45C I have a metal box with lid that will hold 3 rows of 319 per row, it's eather full or empty near all the time.

mtgrs737
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I like to store lubed bullets in 16mm and 35mm film cans. The 400 footers work well, larger sizes tend to flex too much from the weight. If you place them in there they nest nicely and don't smear lube all other the others. I use 16mm for pistol boolits and 35mm x 100yds for rifle boolits. I also spray the cans insided and out with clear acrylic from chinamart to keep them from rusting.

Orygun
06-10-2008, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=There has to be a better way!![/QUOTE]

Yup, a harder lube.

Edit to say...I used to use cigar boxes back when you could get them for free. "Rack 'em and stack 'em". But now I usually store in boxes or coffee cans helter skelter and don't worry about them with the harder lube, but I only cast handgun boolits.

joeb33050
06-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I use 22RF plastic boxes.
joe b.

JeffinNZ
06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I use 22RF plastic boxes.
joe b.

Yup. .22 mag/.17 HMR plastic boxes are great. They hold 5x10 .30 cal bullets real sweet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_0046.jpg

And can I just say a big God bless you to the folks that leave these boxes at the range for me to collect?!

John Boy
06-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Dumpster Diving! Bullet trays from expended rounds at the range. Trays come in all caliber sizes so I pick out the plastic and styrofoam ones that I can use for the calibers I shoot.

I store both ways - lubed and unlubed

ANeat
06-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Stack in rows filling the bottom then a thin cardboard sheet then another layer until full.

Thats the way I do it :drinks:

Here is about 60+ pounds of H&G/Ballisti-Cast 68's

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/Full.jpg

AZ-Stew
06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Gimme a break! There's only one layer in there. The bottom of the box is filled with styrofoam board. No one can keep a box that full with rows and columns that neat!

:kidding:

Regards,

Stew

GabbyM
06-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I just pile them in. That's Lars BAC lube on them. Ran through an RCBS sizer.

Meatco1
06-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Adam:

What happens when you try to pick that thing up? I hope that box has a stronger bottom than it looks like in the photos!!!

Actually, I'm thinking of buying more G.I. .50 cal ammo cans & using them to stack bullets much like Adam (not sure I can be that neat, though) does. Even then, I imagine one will hold at least 100 lb of cast bullets.

Thanks guys,

Richard

ANeat
06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Adam:

What happens when you try to pick that thing up? I hope that box has a stronger bottom than it looks like in the photos!!!

Actually, I'm thinking of buying more G.I. .50 cal ammo cans & using them to stack bullets much like Adam (not sure I can be that neat, though) does. Even then, I imagine one will hold at least 100 lb of cast bullets.

Thanks guys,

Richard

There is a couple layers in the bottom, I did only move it twice. Once last year to put in storage, once a couple weeks ago to load them up. Most are loaded now and slowly getting sent downrange.

I saved all my spacers and plan on filling it back up again here soon.

Actually the guy that taught me this trick used cigar boxes for all his stuff. Like Calamity Jake mentioned

RP
06-10-2008, 11:08 PM
its funny how alot of us will stack or boolits in nice neat rows but the reloading areas are most of the time a mess.

Frank46
06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
get some motor mica from midway and dust the boolits it will keep them from sticking to each other. I use a variety of boxes to store sized and lubed boolits. Blue plastic ones from J&J, old 30 special plastic boxes, styrofoam pistol trays that come from 50 round pistol boxes and whatever plastic boxes I find at the range. Frank

runfiverun
06-11-2008, 03:17 AM
i just use hard lube throw them in as big of a box as i have and put them on the shelf.
i try to run at least 5000 boolits for my pistos at a time and keep at least 10,000 of the ones i shoot most on hand at all times.
for stuff like 44-45-357 i keep at least 1500 loaded on the shelf, and load more if they get under 1000, this way i can rotate the new to the back.

yes i have some very strong shelves......
those boxes that you get at the post office for up to 70 lbs are good ones...

andrew375
06-11-2008, 04:07 AM
I use primer rays for .22 bullets, for anything bigger I use trays that held 9m.m. ammo picked out of the bin at a range the local kevlar cowboys use.