PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with runfiverun (part3)

runfiveslittlegirl
10-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Went out yesterday with Runfiverun, Love to Shoot, and Trystan (my husband). We hiked up and down draws all day long. We finally say forget it and hike back out get in the truck and come driving down a little canyon and Runfiverun looks up on the worst possible hill with about 8inches of snow coating it and sees a small buck standing broadside.

Trystan gets out and looks at the hill sighs because he knows none of us are sure this is a good idea, he brings it up and hits this deer square with his .308 westernfield. It takes off and he shot it again and it just drops.. it's about 6:00 and we have maybe an hour until dark.

So we start hiking, more or less, we more start slipping and sliding, we put on gloves and are grabbing at snow for a handhold (haha)
We finally get to the top of this hill after about half an hour of sledding and, Love to Shoot spots the deer by a tree.
Trystan pulls the stomach out and we grab it and start heading down the hill, which quickly turned into trying not to get run over by a dead deer sliding in tip of snow, at one point it turned into partially riding the deer down a hill, not on purpose.
We finally got it to the truck and got it loaded about ten to dark.

He didnt want to be in the picture

OnHoPr
10-23-2016, 02:25 PM
How come I always get invalid attachment messages on these attachments?

kungfustyle
10-23-2016, 02:48 PM
This is one I would like to see to...invalid attachment.

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 03:13 PM
i'll get her to re-post it.
I bet the picture is just too big.
I wouldn't get too excited about seeing it, there was some definite ground shrinkage on this one :lol:
I have had him up on a couple of decent deer but he just couldn't connect for one reason or another.
the night before he come back down the draw where I was waiting at the truck and tried to pull my leg a bit when I shushed him and showed him the 2 bucks I was looking at through the spotting scope.
he turned around and followed the path I laid out for him to get a poke at them and got all the way to 75 yds out right at dark.
then he missed the bigger of the two trying to shoot over the buck brush and sage brush between them.

this one was more of a siiigh,,,, I'm tired,, let's shoot it and get this over with type thing.

4719dave
10-23-2016, 04:41 PM
yes me too ...

How come I always get invalid attachment messages on these attachments?

runfiveslittlegirl
10-23-2016, 07:47 PM

For some reason we keep finding deer with one giant spike and 2 or 3 points in the other side. I shot one two years ago just like it.

leeggen
10-23-2016, 08:43 PM
those recessive genes realy get passed along. Good for you all to take them anyway. I think R5R is setting you all up so he can get even with you for something.LOL Hey you just appreciate that meat more after a workout like that.
CD

CITYREPO61
10-23-2016, 09:22 PM
I also took a buck this year with 2 points in one side and a spike on the other.

Nick Quick
10-23-2016, 09:36 PM
It was a cast or a bought bullet that make that fella sit so nice for the photo shoot.

TCLouis
10-23-2016, 10:17 PM
The one thing I have found . . .

Big or Small, antlered or doe, they are all made of meat!

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 10:30 PM
home made Jaxketed.
I cast the cores, then squirt them to weight, seat them in the jacket, then point form them.
a completed round from empty case to shooting is at minimum 5 handle pulls on the press and 6 if I prime the case on the press.
he shoots the same bullets in his 308 as I do in my 30 cal rifles. [except the wife's, for her 0-6 I use a different jacket]

Texas by God
10-24-2016, 10:21 PM
I'll shoot a 3pt before a good buck any day to help the gene pool (and my belly). We get two buck tags; one 13" spread minimum and the other a 3pt or spike. Good hunting Runfiverun family! Best, Thomas.

shtur
10-26-2016, 12:24 AM
We call them Sporks: spike + fork horn = spork

runfiverun
10-26-2016, 11:12 AM
we get e'm from time to time.
our deer here aren't know for being wide but they get nice and tall.
something 18-20" wide can go well over 24" tall with ease.
the genetics of the 2x3 or a reversed split is common here and more pronounced in some areas.
I think the deer get fragmented and inter breed too much.
we have a fairly nice 3 point hanging here that looks almost like a white tail on one side, but it has a straight up short spike with an eye guard just like an Elk would have on the other.

TXGunNut
10-27-2016, 10:42 PM
On the lease I hunt they call them cull bucks, I call them venison. ;-) Better in your freezer than in the gene pool, good job!