PDA

View Full Version : sandhill cranes

johnson1942
10-22-2016, 07:47 PM
several flocks went over to day headed south. hundreds of them. natives tell me they taste better than turkey when roasted like a turkey. the natives also say the next days after roasting the cranes that they make the best cold meat sandwiches you ever ate. they are fun to watch, they fly high and do a lot of twists and turns while flying. they seem like a happy bunch.

jmorris
10-22-2016, 07:53 PM
I have never shot one myself but did have a friend that calls them "Ribeye in the sky" and had some he cooked up once and have to admit that's a good name for the meat.

Lots better than duck or turkey IMO.

leeggen
10-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Be careful some places don't allow shooting them.
CD

PS they do taste great.

4719dave
10-22-2016, 08:40 PM
thinking that's not going to work in fl

dtknowles
10-22-2016, 08:44 PM
When I lived on a Golf Course in Florida we had some that would come into the back yard. Very pretty birds, big and they would dance and sing. Well jump around and make a lot of noise.

Tim

Vopie
10-22-2016, 10:44 PM
Yep, "fly'en beef" .... best eat'en bird next to grouse....
Jim

runfiverun
10-22-2016, 10:48 PM
we have a season on them here.
the farmers want you to hunt parts of their field and push them to other parts they leave for the cranes.
they will tear up everything if you don't keep them in one spot.

Johnch
10-23-2016, 09:42 PM
We also have them flying around
As we are also out Duck and Goose hunting
Their call's makes a interesting mix to us calling

But as of now , we can't hunt them
But we now have them nesting in the area

So the lower IQ hunters with dogs will have to watch it ( some are shooting them and getting tickets )
As the Sandhill Cranes will kill a dog by spearing them ....real bad for the dog

John

Bad Water Bill
10-23-2016, 11:26 PM
They rest at Jasper,Polaski IN DNR on their way south every year.

Some stay there all summer and raise their broods.

frkelly74
10-24-2016, 08:26 AM
There was a pair in our yard yesterday. It was funny to see them yelling at people walking their dogs past the house. I think all you would need is a bolo to bag one.

jmorris
10-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Texas seasons begin to start in just a few days.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/sandhill-crane

Bad Water Bill
10-24-2016, 01:52 PM
While they are down there in Texas do they raise another brood?

leeggen
10-24-2016, 08:35 PM
When I lived in Fl. the wildlife dept claimed there were only X number of sandhill cranes left so they were protected. We loaded up one of the wardens and took him to a farm so he could see how many were just on that farm. Claimed he could only see a hundred. There must have been a couple thousand there. The bird watcher organizatins just did not want them killed so they could watch them. There were more bird watchers than hunters I beleive. Although there were a few cranes that were hit on the road and were eaten for supper.
CD

DLCTEX
10-25-2016, 12:13 AM
While they are down there in Texas do they raise another brood?
No, they just spend the winter and go back north to rear families.

kungfustyle
10-25-2016, 06:06 AM
They are like gnats in Florida. We see them all the time. Didn't know they were good eats, may have to look into this.

jmorris
10-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Looks like they would rather kill them with theme parks and such vs let you eat them there.

Degradation or direct loss of habitat due to wetland drainage or conversion of prairie for development or agricultural use are the primary threats facing Florida sandhill cranes.

The Florida sandhill crane is protected by...a State-designated Threatened species by Florida’s Endangered and Threatened Species Rule (https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68A-27) http://m.myfwc.com/media/82808/icon_external.png.

firefly1957
10-25-2016, 06:19 PM
I think they all left here a week or so ago No hunting of them allowed in Michigan .

KCSO
10-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Had to import them from Texas for eating but they are delicious!!! We have some at rendezvous on wild game night. No leftovers though...sorry.