PDA

View Full Version : Can I use WW in front stuffers?

mugsie
06-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing either a BP revolver or rifle. Since I have access to WW's, but not to pure lead, can I use WW instead of lead in these? Does anybody do so? what are the results? Thanks....

fishhawk
06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
the WW will be hard to use in the revolver due to the fact that you shave off a small ring when you seat them in the cylinder. but as far as useing WW in a muzzle loading rifle i and others here have had no problem useing WW for RB ( altho some may disagree) one of my rifles wouldn't shoot pure lead fer chit at first so i used WW after about 3 years of shooting i noticed acurasy falling off and now pure lead shoots better in it.

DLCTEX
06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I use WW boolits in my ROA (air cooled) with no problems. I haven't tried them in my Colt Navy. In my 54 Lyman Scout using maxi-balls,they take a hard bang of my fist on the ball starter and are harder to push down, but they will work. Using round balls the rifling mostly engages the cloth patch, so should work ok. If you have friends who are roofers or plumbers, ask them to keep any lead they come across.. Also the stick-on WW are usually softer. DALE

Ricochet
06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
In my Italian Walker it takes enough force to start WW balls that I worry about breaking the rammer. Someone else on here has said that he did break his Walker's rammer that way.

freedom475
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I have had NO luck with WW's in my revolvers. As stated by others you'll either break your rammer or ruin your palm...probly both:mrgreen:. Just a little WW left in the pot seems to make a batch Pure lead balls too hard for my little 36cal. revolver.

I have had good success with WW for RB's in my rifles. But a properly rifled MzLodr should actually force the patch into the ball and engrave it slightly with the rifleing through the patch. Most modern guns just don't have this type of rifleing, so WW's seem to works just fine in them.:Fire:

mazo kid
06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
As others have stated, WWs don't work real good in revolvers (cap 'n ball) because of the rammer issues, but can be made to work in smoothbores and rifles. You may need a smaller ball, such as a .490 vs a .495, and/or a thinner patch.

jlchucker
06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Get a levergun in 30-30, 35 Rem, 44 Mag, or 45-70 and use your wheelweights to cast boolets for these. Usings WW's in bp revolvers, as others have stated, isn't very practical. Actually, pure lead bullets for revolvers are sold by bullet manufacturers such as Speer, Hornaday, etc. in a variety of sizes. For revolver use, I've found that buying these saves time and trouble. Rifles may be a different matter. I'd still buy round balls if that was what I was going to shoot. But that having been said, I've had decent luck with some WW cast bullet and plastic sabot combinations. For rifles using metallic cartridges though, WW metal is as much a boolet caster's staple as hamburger rolls are to the Big Mac people.

Tom W.
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Like others have said, WW will work in rifles, but they shouldn't be your first choice. I have tried them in my T/C/ Hawken with various sized cloth and leather patches, and with Butler Creek's Poly Patch. I did get best results with the Poly patch, but none were easy to seat. My buddy tried to try some in his revolver, but couldn't seat them.

The old rule of thumb was if you can make a decent scratch on the bullet alloy with your thumb nail, it's soft enough to use in your smoke pole.

James C. Snodgrass
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I ain't tried it yet but I have read you can anneal WW to 6 or 7 BH by heating at 475 for a hour then turn off oven and let cool naturally in the oven. Hope this helps James[smilie=1:

snuffy
06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I tried WW metal for casting Lee R.E.A.L. conicals for several .45 and .50 front stuffers. dismal accuracy and a LOT of fouling,(powder). Then I cast using some sheathing lead, which I considered to be pure. Viola! It sure wasn't the rifles, or the mold, the WW metal is just too hard to obturate at BP pressures.

Also the design of the Lee REAL is that it engraves at loading, then shortens up to fully seal the bore. The shortening could apparently not happen because of the strength of the WW. Any BP rifle is made for the ball to obturate somewhat to seal and insure good rilfing grip. YMMV.

theperfessor
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Mugsy -

I have several hundred pounds of smelted roof sheathing that I think is pure lead. Just traded some with Alchemist for some lino.

If you want to trade 1-for-1 WWs for lead I would be glad to swap 50 lbs with you. Post here or pm if you're interested.

KCSO
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I can only quote Doc Carlson here... "I don't know why but I have never gotten really fine accuracy with black powder and antimony".

Yes they will work but I have always gotten better groups with pure lead. Now here I am talking the difference between 4" at 100 yards and 1 1/2". If yo are shooting a cheaper repro you might not notice any difference. I do use w/w for all my smooth bore balls.

NSP64
06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
I have used WW in my inline (1/28" twist) 310 gr lee 44cal in a sabot and reduced loads (30gr measured) under PRB 800fps and nice accuracy:drinks: