PDA

View Full Version : Percussion Cap Question

jjarrell
10-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Has anyone had any experience with these caps? They are Italian and "summonte resina capsule rigate" is what's stamped into the tin. They fire and seem hot enough. I'm curious if they are more corrosive than American made caps. I picked up 1000 of them in a box of muzzleloading supplies for $16.00 from an estate auction. The box had shooting patches, cleaning patches, 2 fiber optic no drill sight sets for octagon barrels, 1000 of these caps, about 1/3 lb of old American Pioneer Powder, 2 boxes of Speer .530 round balls, 2 boxes of Hornady .530 balls, 3 boxes of Hornady .490 balls, 1 box of Speer .495 balls, 2 boxes of Hornady .350 balls all unopened. Birchwood Casey black powder solvent, and a few other things.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-22-2016, 03:01 PM
I have some of these, and used them in the early 80s. They certainly weren't corrosive then (except in the sense of blasting off oil around the nipple and leaving the metal unprotected), but compositions do change. So I would recommend firing one onto a piece of bright polished steel to see what happens in a humid atmosphere.

I think Summonte is the trade name, and resina means resin, suggesting some kind of protection from damp. Rigate sometimes means rifled, but here it most likely means they are grooved, to free them easily from the nipple after use.

mooman76
10-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Most powders themselves are corrosive is is or is not the cap more so is kind of mute. The gun still needs to be clean after shooting and soon. Pyrodex is more corosve the real BP like some have proven but they both will corrode the gun if not cleaned. Shoot, clean soon and be happy.

jjarrell
10-22-2016, 06:21 PM
I wasn't inquiring because I didn't want to clean my rifles after firing. They are always thoroughly cleaned as soon as I get home. No exceptions. I was curious about it because I didn't want to use a product that is any more corrosive than it has to be and I'm not familiar with these caps. I use RWS 1075+ caps. I won't use Pyrodex because it's more corrosive than black powder. Among other reasons. I was just trying to get an idea where these caps fit into my shooting.

Geezer in NH
10-22-2016, 07:13 PM
If they fit the nipple shoot them up. We started with caps from Italy in the 60's and 70's.

I still have a couple thousand in blue plastic marked I believe Navy Arms. They go boom fine and never noticed a difference in cleaning.

I even have the wooden shipping box 10,000 came in!

mooman76
10-22-2016, 07:29 PM
I wasn't implying that you don't clean your gun(s). I was trying to make a point. Either way the gun has to be cleaned. More corrosive means nothing unless you don't clean soon after shooting. I would not have a problem shooting them if they worked well more corrosive or not. If you do have a problem with it, that's fine, I wasn't trying to bash you either way. I have been shooting Pyrodex allot of years with no problem.

bedbugbilly
10-22-2016, 10:44 PM
I have never had any in the red box like yours, but like Geezer, I have had and used the old Navy Arms caps that came in the blue containers and probably from the same source as yours. They all worked just fine and if yours go bang, then use them up - you certainly did just fine on your purchase! I can well remember using many many "Alcan" musket caps in the early 60s and they didn't always go bang but then we didn't have a big selection of bonds to choose from! LOL If I remember correctly, when Alcan started making them, Turner Kirkland's (Dixie GW) initial order was for something like a million musket caps. He certainly had great foresight and was a great promoter of muzzleloading. As I day, they weren't always 100% reliable but they we were happy to have them! At the same time, for my sporting guns I was usually able to get Remington caps and they were a whole twenty five cents a tin of 100.

Yes them and have fun! Corrosive or not - you still have to clean your rifle and as we all know, BP will make rust quicker than anything. Looks to me like you got a good supply of caps - enjoy!

Ballistics in Scotland
10-23-2016, 04:10 AM
No cap is more corrosive than any other in the moment of firing. As long as the gun is promptly cleaned and oiled, they are all alike.

jjarrell
10-23-2016, 07:11 AM
Many thanks for the input from everyone. I appreciate it. The only thing left to do is shoot em up. .......Mooman76, I didn't think you were bashing or anything like that. If I came across as if I was upset you have my apologies, that wasn't my intention. I welcome all input, and again thank you all for your insight.

tomme boy
10-23-2016, 09:15 AM
I have a whole box of these. I think it is 1000 of them. I think they seem a bit smaller than #11's. They seem to work fine on my CVA guns but not on my TC guns. The CVA guns have a nipple that is thinner and taller than the TC guns. I have to smash them down onto the nipples on the TC with the hammer then cock it and fire. If I just use a capper to put one on then fire it, it will not go off the first time. The second time I cock the hammer it USUALLY will go off. But NOT always.

So the only time I use these now is for clearing the firing channel for the first time firing that day or for use between range cleanings to make sure nothing got pushed into the channel. Save on the good caps ALOT!

mooman76
10-23-2016, 09:23 AM
All is good. Caps are still hard to come by is some areas. Fortunately not here so I am lucky enough to actually have a few choices of caps. If they fit your nipple good then that's great. If not, you can turn the nipple down a little with a drill and emery cloth carefully. By the way jjarrell, you did very good with that box of supplies.

Bent Ramrod
10-23-2016, 10:36 AM
If they go off for you, by all means use them up, as quickly as possible.

I have one red box and several blue boxes of Fiocchi caps and so far they have all been either extremely weak or outright duds. The goop from the half-fired or unfired caps clogs the nipple and the caps stick tenaciously to the outside. But if they work, you got a bargain.

quail4jake
10-23-2016, 02:07 PM
Rigate aste spumonte! Say what? Does it mean the same as vorderlader zundhatchen? BTW... years later it was discovered that the Italians lost the war because when Mussolini ordered more shells to be sent to the front they brought rigatoni! LOL. Yeah shoot them caps up, I am still working on some old foil lined UMCs that are probably 100+ years old and guess what they do?...go bang!

Hanshi
10-23-2016, 05:07 PM
1000 caps for $16 is a steal. WOW!

dtknowles
10-23-2016, 09:42 PM
All is good. Caps are still hard to come by is some areas. Fortunately not here so I am lucky enough to actually have a few choices of caps. If they fit your nipple good then that's great. If not, you can turn the nipple down a little with a drill and emery cloth carefully. By the way jjarrell, you did very good with that box of supplies.

Plenty of caps in the store here but they want six cents a piece.

Tim