PDA

View Full Version : Paper patch and a 54

Harleysboss
10-21-2016, 10:32 PM
I have just picked up a new unfired Knight MK85 SS 54 cal. So I already shoot PP in my GM LRH 50cal (per Idahorons methods) The twist is the same as the 50 (1-28). Should I expect the same performance from a similar weight bullet in a 54cal (460grns) or should I be looking at a bit heavier (longer) bullet? I have some purple mmp 54 cal sabots that my sized 500S&W lead bullets fit perfectly but I would prefer to shoot a paper patched bullet. I have yet to shoot the gun.

johnson1942
10-22-2016, 09:32 AM
to shoot your gun consistantly accurate and keep it that way get a mold made that is 1.4 long. that is a heavy bullet but with that faster twist for a .54 it requires it. to make the bullet a little lighter have the mold made with a cup base and a slightly longer tapered nose. i wouldnt worry about recoil as larger bores release gas easier and 80 grains of the powder you like will make that a freight train a coming. i helped by email a man recently from denver get his 54 shooting x ring accurate with pp so he could hunt in idaho for elk. yours would take any thing in alaska also. if the recoil is a little heavy do this. get a dead mule from midway and install that plus a good slip on recoil pad also and then it will be tame. you have a really good gun, invest in the things that will make it way better than it was ever ment to be. you will like that gun even more.

Geezer in NH
10-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Note GM made the barrel and milled the action for Knight, in fact the same company at one time owned both companies.

GM is now owned by the company manager who still runs the place.

TCLouis
10-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Are ya'll using the long angle cut or just squaring it off at the wrap point?

johnson1942
10-22-2016, 11:50 PM
i dont know who you are asking but i will tell what i do. for my muzzleloaders i just use a rectangular piece of paper. never ever use the angle cut on them. no difference in the groups. the other day i took the center small x out of the target at 100 yards to test the gun. cant do better than that. havent wrapped any 45/ 70 lately but when i do it may be just the rectangle cut.