PDA

View Full Version : sling attachment to MOE adjustable stock

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-21-2016, 04:41 PM
I have been figuring out the best way to put a sling on a Magpul MOE butstock

here is a picture so you can see

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-21-2016, 05:02 PM
I am currently into appleseed style shooting , AQT , so I want the sling for hasty sling to be attached to the but stock but for loop sling not attached to the butstock and I want a quick change form one to the other

there are lots of options for attachment to the MOE handguard but seem to be only a few options for the butstock

you can thread the sling through the slots but this is slow to change to loop sling or buy a quick disconnect adapter that fits in the slot and has screws through from the other side but this is a 35 dollar + Shipping option

I would rather not break the bank on this it is crazy how fast adding a 14 dollar GI web sling to a rifle could turn into a 75 dollar proposition
I did several web searches on this and found a few people asking the question , and most seem to get recommendations of either recommending sling through the slot to slow , the 35 dollar adapter plus the QD for the forarm makes it 60 some dollars , on the cheap a loop of para cord through the lanyard hole or a new stock at 50+ dollars

in looking at that lanyard hole I got thinking maybe a D-ring with a clevis pin a small one with a or Magpul paraclip then I looked at the size od the hole and wondered if the uncle mikes type sling stud will thread in that lanyard hole as magpul calls it at the toe of the stock I dug around a but and found one with the wood threads it screws in to the hole I ordered one of their 7/8 inch long stud with machine screw thread and a nut to put through the hole and see how I like it this is convenient because my slings already have that style swivel and the part is 2.95 If I don't like it I am out 3 dollars and no mods to sling or rifle

if anyone else has any ideas I am interested in hearing them

dragon813gt
10-21-2016, 05:10 PM
You can get a QD swivel for the buttstock for $10.

mcdaniel.mac
10-21-2016, 05:50 PM
My honest recommendation would be to shoot with a "hasty sling" instead of the loop sling. The carbine-style buttstock will move more than the rifle, and you won't be getting the same level of repeatability there anyway. Also, hasty sling looks cooler.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-21-2016, 09:11 PM
You can get a QD swivel for the buttstock for $10.

where , what do they call it , who makes it , link if you can

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-21-2016, 09:22 PM
My honest recommendation would be to shoot with a "hasty sling" instead of the loop sling. The carbine-style buttstock will move more than the rifle, and you won't be getting the same level of repeatability there anyway. Also, hasty sling looks cooler.

I went to my first Appleseed last weekend with my son , I let him use my 10/22 so I used his Savage MKII bolt action , I shot rifleman and want to go repeat that using my AR
actually it would be sort of fun to go shoot rifleman with my 30-30 and cast boolits but the reload with the tube mag might be sort of a challenge then again I could probably make it work with some practice
before I did that I would probably run the course with the M1 Garand and cast boolits .

I could run hasty sling that is what I have always run in my own shooting other than 3 position air rifle where we only run loop sling

but I like to work the program and that requires loop sling

dragon813gt
10-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Here are all the slings and adapters Magpul makes: https://www.magpul.com/products/slings-and-sling-mounts

There are other manufacturers of the QD swivels that can be bought on Amazon.

trebor44
10-22-2016, 09:03 AM
I have been figuring out the best way to put a sling on a Magpul MOE butstock

here is a picture so you can see

Looking at the photo you provided, you already have the best option attached to the buffer tube. You can use an HK style mash hook to attach the sling by replacing the quick release. I have had that type blow apart on more than one occasion. Yeah, I had it set up with a double loop to ski with. But I like a solid attachment for a sling. Para cord works very well, as does webbing wrapped around the buffer tube. A mash hook only costs about $5 and they do come in two webbing sizes. Also you can always use a threaded chain link connector. But it does look funky! I vote for the HK style hook.

2wheelDuke
10-22-2016, 05:03 PM
I've wondered about the same issue myself. I've been considering either making an adapter or sanding down the round part of that loop so that a regular sling swivel adapter would fit it.