PDA

View Full Version : Lube sizer heating need question

Bazoo
10-21-2016, 12:19 AM
I dont have any experience with lubesizers, but im in the learning phase of getting one. I know the old lyman 450 units dont have heaters, but you can get a heater for them. And the 4500 comes with a heater. I know the need for heat will be dependent on the ambient temperature vs the lube I am using. I like lower tech, older methods if its possible. I'd rather not have to use a heater.

I dont push lead bullets to jacketed velocities, instead I stick with calibers such as 30-30 and 45-70 , in the idea that i'll be able to make full power cast loads, without down loading to prevent leading. And without having to use a super lube. I also, shoot when its cold, sometimes as low as teens/20s

So, can I get some advice in regards to what lubes will likely work in applications such as this, but wont need a heater to apply?

I will be lubing in my home, where it is air conditioned in summer, and heated in winter. Will i have a problem in summer with the air? In winter, i surmise that the perfect spot to lube would be next to the wood stove, which would heat the sizer and be toasty for me as well.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kskybroom
10-21-2016, 01:52 AM
Keep reading.. Lots of ideas here from Mount lube size on alum plate heat with iron. clamp on light, heat gun ect...

fred2892
10-21-2016, 04:08 AM
I would recommend Lars White Lable Lube. His BAC lube will go through a 450 without the need for heat when used indoors. BAC works very well at 45-70 and 30-30 velocities.
Not sure what you mean by 'super lube'?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Yodogsandman
10-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Use whatever lube you want to for your uses. Tailor the heat to the lube being used. A regular light bulb in a drop light, set next to your luber will heat it enough for most of the hardest lubes in the winter. Whatever works for you.

That said, I have a Lyman heater on one of my RCBS LAM IIs and it works great.

I have another set up with a magnetic oil pan heater on a steel plate under the lubrisizer. I've been testing a reptile temperature controller (PID) to adjust the heat on this one.

Others have used a steel plate under their luber and set an adjustable cloths iron on the plate for heat.

gwpercle
10-21-2016, 07:07 PM
I just use soft lubes and avoid the heater problem. On a cold day I just lean my shop light against the lube/sizer body and TA-DAH heater.
I believe soft lubes work better than hard ones. I've dug up lots of fired boolits with all the lube still in the lube groove....it's not doing it's job staying on the boolit !
Lyman Alox Lube is a 50/50 alox beeswax NRA type lube that's soft and isn't a bad choice. They also make a Super Moly Lube , listed as soft but I have never tried it.
My favorite lube is a soft lube referred to as Lithi-Bee, 3 parts Beeswax to 1 part Lithium Grease , never had any leading problems with it. And it's about as simple a lube as you can find.
Gary

beemer
10-21-2016, 07:48 PM
I have an old 450 and a newer 4500, bored a hole in the 450 so the Lyman heater could be used in either one.
Dave

Bazoo
10-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the direction and advice. I've been doing some research but im completely new to sizers, so im not really sure what is a must, and what I can get by without. I like simple and traditional.

By super lube, I mean something that is designed for jacketed velocities, that isnt simple, or that isnt cheap.

With pan lubing, I've been using beeswax and crisco. Beeswax and grease sounds like it might work well, and i'll definitely have to give that a try.

Randy Bohannon
10-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Recipe for Ben's Red is posted follow the directions, it will do anything you want it to.You can make it as hard or soft as you like.Read several threads as there are lots of good info on how guys have simplified the blending.I found all of the ingredients locally except the Beeswax. Randyrat is the man for high quality wax and fast shipping.

Mitch
10-27-2016, 04:50 PM
got to the LsStuff add at the bottom of this page.and take a look around the site these are good lubes.there is info on everyone they make.this is the Lars whitelabel lubes mentioned above.some love to make there own others don't.

Bazoo
10-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Bens red huh.... i'll probably give it a try, I've read the sticky about it. i like the idea of beeswax and grease too, as its simple.

As for the lubesizer itself, any advice about a used 450? I'm seeing them for less than a hundred bucks on ebay. Anything to watch for?

I like the idea of using a heat lamp, if needed.

Dragonheart
10-31-2016, 09:00 PM
I PC so I don't lube anymore, but when I did, I found you really need to plan on heating the lube. I used to use a clamp on light fixture with a flood bulb, which worked on my Lyman 450 for years. Then I bought a heating element for a coffee maker and sandwiched it between two aluminum mounting plates for the sizer to sit on and connected it to a rheostat to adjust the temp. That worked much better. Then they started making heaters for the 450, which would now be the way to go.

Echo
11-05-2016, 04:07 PM
If it's cold enough, I will use my drop light hanging on the loob-sizer to warm the loob - but I use NRA 50/50 loob for danged near everything except low-intensity stuff (38, 45, &cetera) - I tumble-loob most pistol boolits that don't take GC's. NRA is easy to make, too...