PDA

View Full Version : Appreciative of the Help

RedRiver
10-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the help in my wtt ad. I guess some of my information is outdated with casting. My grandfather cast literally tons of lead, so my info came from 40+ years ago.

I figured with higher pressure loads in the 9mm and .357 you needed a harder lead, but apparently powder coating helps with this.

So just to make sure. I can use my clip on ingots for .45, 9mm, 38 special and .357 mag?

How about SOWW? Or should I harden that up a bit. They will be powder coated.

bigolsmokebomb
10-20-2016, 10:57 PM
soww are almost pure lead. the only thing i would use straight soww would be for old blackpowder frontloaders. soww are good for cutting a harder alloy down to be a little softer but they are not good by themselves for any modern cartrage even with PC. if you have a lot of soww you can take and add them to coww to soften the alloy a little bit and still be good with the PC in your semi autos.

runfiverun
10-21-2016, 12:32 AM
if they are newer stick on's I wouldn't count on them being anything other than lead based.
I have just always mixed my stick on's in with my clip on's they seemed to come in a proportion of about 30% anyway so that's how I mixed them in.
never noticed anything needing changed from that practice.

Oklahoma Rebel
10-21-2016, 12:42 AM
me too run, but I just sorted 2 buckets today and kept them separate this time, I think I am going to make some 20:1 for deer hunting this year, using my 45-70, 425rnfp @ 1400. do you think it will expand? I had to back off and soften the alloy anyways, because I was shooting them in lyman#2 at 1500 and it leaded the bore pretty bad. you think it was becuz the alloy was too hard or the speed or both? sorry for hijacking your post redriver, where u from, I'm west of Tulsa. u on the Oklahoma or texas side?

RedRiver
10-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Red River of the North here. Not South.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-21-2016, 10:56 AM
I use a harder alloy for 9mm as well as Hot 357mag loads.
I don't PC my boolits, and can't speak with experience about PC, but I'm skeptical about PC being a cure-all for a softer alloy.

COWW is good for about 25Kpsi, if your load develops a higher pressure, the alloy will deform and accuracy will suffer, you may or may not get lead fouling...and PC may or maynot help.

At the bottom of the page is a link to LASC's "cast bullet notes"
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
it's a good read about alloys. About mid-way down the article, there is a chart of common alloy's and the MAX pressure they can withstand in the chamber.

If you have the Lyman cast bullet handbook or other good cast bullet reloading manual, they will list the pressure of each starting load and MAX load, giving you an idea of the pressure that's developed in the load you choose to use.
Good Luck,
Jon

edited: found a old sticky that could help.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?183882-What-works-for-me

GhostHawk
10-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Where you at Red? Sitting on 13th Ave and 10th St S less than a mile from the river in Fargo ND.

Mine is the one with the red PT cruiser in the driveway. Coffee is always on for casters.