PDA

View Full Version : Star Luber

06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
who uses a air cylinder on there star luber? i just ordered one and want to hook up a portable ait tank to power it. i have 2 sizers and wanted to switch it back and forth. i will be using hard lube with there heater base. what psi do you use yours at? once you have it going do you have to change the psi? is there any tricks to watch out for? thanks

ANeat
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I have one and really like it. You have to reach a happy balance between the pressure and the temp. Once set you really dont have to mess with it.

I run Lars Red in mine at about 95 degrees and about 80-90 psi ( I can recall the exact number)

I would say get the temp set where you want it using the pressure screw. Then put on the air cylinder and start at about 40 psi. You should be able to tell after a few bullets if you need more pressure or not.

If youre getting little dots of lube on the nose of the bullet you need less pressure or less temp.

If you find yourself running out of lube like the cylinder isnt keeping up, more pressure or more temp.

06-09-2008, 05:39 PM
thanks ANeat that is what i thought but just wanted to get others thoughts. i have heard ofpluging the vent hole so you could put more lube in. i wonder if you needed to drill a nother vent hole and how would you plug thr factory hole with out it hitting the plunger. i have used a star for years and now just wanted to try something different. with the spring it is some times up and down with keeping the right presure when lubing fast and using a lots of lube. i am using ruster bright zambesy lube . i bought there 2x6 in sticks and melt them to make my own 1 in sticks. about 1/3 the price. you do have to get 25 sticks at a time. thanks again.

runfiverun
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
i run my air more like 40-70,seems like i do 50-60 boolits then the heater comes on i just go a bit slower till it goes off.
if you can find "the pace" you can do1000 without stopping and have all of them lubed the same.
just gotta find the sweet spot.

johnho
06-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I think I run around 30 psi on mine with the heated base. Best money I spent other than Star itself. I fill my tank up at work where we have concrete trucks running and can fill it up to 125 psi. the few convience stores I went to I could only get about 60 psi in it. Go to a truck stop and fill it up there as semi truck tires run at much higher psi than cars do. Tank will last a long long time.

06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
i have the auto bullet feeder on my stars. i tube up 1000 at a time , one night then lube them the next. i have my own compresor that will go to 125 psi that i can fill my tank with. i am still looking for a tank that i can put a longer hose with a quick disconet on to the luber. does any one else use the lube from ruster bright? i find it to not smoke a bad as others. good for action shooting.

mtgrs737
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I have my cylinder hooked up to one of those mini-pancake compressors to run my air cylinder at 60 pounds air pressure and have no problems with it. The air cylinder uses the pressure of the tank and not a volume of air so as long as you don't have a leak a portable tank will last for a long time. The air cylinder up grade gets my number 1 vote for the best Star sizer upgrade, my number 2 vote is the swivel or shovel handle which is much more comfortable for long runs of boolits. I use a heater set at body temperture for my 50/50 lube (lar's BAC) and I think it reduces the stress on the luber and I get good even results. You will like not having to screw the resevior screw down every so often and I think that the air cylinder give you much more uniform lube pressure and a more consistant amount lube in the groove(s).

GabbyM
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a basic Star.
Question for you all. When it's time to fill with lube. Does the pneumatic unit retract it's piston under power or do you still have to manually pull the piston from the cylinder?
Not that I'm lazy mind you.

xcrider
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Gabby, it is a one way air piston, it does not retract. It is very easy to pull the cylinder off and refill.