PDA

View Full Version : Did some range work with 2 TC Omega's, out to 300yds!!!

koger
10-16-2016, 08:40 PM
I am a accuracy nut, and have had great success with traditional ML's, and was one of the die hards who finally tried out a Omega, due to buying one dirt cheap. I have since taken a pile of deer using black powder, 95 grs of 2ffg and Harvester black crush rib sabots, and 260 ballistic tip copper jacket slug, taking deer from 40-175yds with this combo. Johnson 1942, Roger Johnson on this board and forum talked me into trying blackhorn 209, did not seem as accurate as regular black at first try. This afternoon I spent 4 hours, shooting from a rock solid bench, using BH 209, 90grs, zeroed at 100yds with a 2nd Omega, with Nikon scope setup for out to 300yds, using their BDC reticle. I honestly did not expect it to work to well, since advertising hype being what it is with sporting goods today. I zeroed the rifle at 100yds, nice clover leaf 3 shot group with no paper between the shots. I moved to 150yds, using the prescribed reticle, bullseye on first 2 shots. I then moved to 210 yds, and shot again, using the 200yd BDC, first shot was dead center, 1 inch low! Second one was 1 inch low, 1inch left, due to cross wind and not allowing for it, but deadly on a deer. Then on to 250 and 300yds. At 250, I shot 3 shots on a crosshair target, one dead center, and one on the left 2 inches, one on the right 1 inch right. Still fine for hunting, I know guys with bolt action center fire rifles who cannot do this. Then at 300yds, waited for a lull in the wind, fired and felt good, but could not see another bullet hole thru my spotting scope. I drove down to the target across the field, bullet was 1 nch low, 1 1/2 inches right of dead center!!! I was pretty danged pumped by now, so went back and loaded another shot, held the same, and it was within 1 inch of the crosshair target dead center. I shot a 3rd one and it was about 11/2 inches right, 1 1/2 inches low. The group was about 2.5 inches at 300yds!!! I never swabbed between shots, used measured 90 grains, all ranges were shot with my Leica 800 rangefinder. Both my omegas shoot this bullet/sabot combo extremely well. I used the standard ballistic plex on my other omega, a Burris scope and have it dialed in to 200yds, too much guesswork after that. I wiped a dry patch down each barrel and they shined like new. Guess tomorrow I will order a #5 jug of this stuff for hunting from now on. I cant wait to get back out west this December and chase Mule Deer with Roger again, along with some pheasants too!

koger
10-16-2016, 10:47 PM
I forgot to mention, I also shot a 3 shot group, on target laying prone on the ground, at 200yds, on a deer target I had made, kept them in a 3" group, in the shoulder.

johnson1942
10-17-2016, 08:43 AM
it was fun reading that sam. i just want to tell every one that last dec sam and i saw a buck and it was 140 yards off. sam was out of the SUV and with one quick shot it was his.i expect the same thing this year. and as far as the pheasants around here, in dec they are out like chickens in the chicken yard. sam can dress one of those things out in a minute or so. the other day i walked out to my garden to see what i had to do to get it ready for next spring and 25 pheasants flew up. again thanks for posting that as long range accuracy can be had with these gun. they are even making inlines now with longer barrels.

ShooterAZ
10-17-2016, 12:38 PM
I recently tried Blackhorn 209 in my T/C Impact. It is impressive stuff to say the least. Sub 1" groups at 100 are no problem from a rest, but even more impressive was the velocities I was getting. Almost 2200 fps 15 ft from the muzzle with 110 grains BH209 with a Hornady SST-ML 250 gr saboted bullet. Best accuracy was with 95 grains however. No cleaning between shots at all either. BH 209 is a bit spendy, but worth it in my opinion. It will make my ML good for 200+ yards easily.