PDA

View Full Version : The Mould from Hell is Here

beagle
10-30-2005, 05:26 PM
The "mold from hell" is in my hand. Delivered at the range this morning. I couldn't resist the urge to cast a couple out of it.

I ran the adjustment screw all the way down and get about a 270 grain bullet out of it. The nose is right where I wanted it at .3495". Then, I ran the screw the other way and got what I'm estimating as about a 155 grain button nose.

Now, this is a highly modified 358315. The nose has the same radius as the 311440 of Paco Kelly fame.

This was with the "solid" plug. I still have to make the pin for the HP plug but need more time and I have to be in the right frame of mind to do that.

There was one glitch with my design. I need to make the nose plugs a bit shorter and I think I can hit 300 grains if I want to. Not that I need a bullet that big but I want the capability.

The ring where the plug meets the mould nose leaves a very slight ring. Not as much as I anticipated. I don't visualize it being a problem.

I'll get the HP pin made this week and post mould pictures. I'll post the bullet pictures tomorrow.

Looks like I have the capability to make a really nice 240 grain deer slapper for the .35 Remington and the concept of a variable nose adjustable mould looks like it works./beagle

lar45
10-31-2005, 02:55 AM
just noticed on gunbroker that there are a few auctions for 500rnds of 35 rem brass for $50
FWIW

Buckshot
10-31-2005, 07:10 AM
.............Beagle, the mould sounds very interesting! Lessee, this is a 6 banger, isn't it :D I can't wait to see pics.

.............Buckshot

beagle
10-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Fired up the pot and ran three weights last night. This was with the lead in the pot. I didn't have it up to temp so they'll get better.

Three random settings turned up: 262.2, 215.5 and 165.2 grains.

Then mould is in for a final tweak so that I'll be able to make longer/heavier bullets.

Pictures will follow when I get it back./beagle

beagle
10-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Rick...It's a two banger. It started life as a 358315 with an undersize nose. We opened one cavity and left the other one as it. This is right down your ally in the way of mods./beagle

.............Beagle, the mould sounds very interesting! Lessee, this is a 6 banger, isn't it :D I can't wait to see pics.

.............Buckshot