PDA

View Full Version : Round ball & patch information for a Pedersoli plainsman .38 cal flinter

Whitesmoke
10-12-2016, 03:17 AM
I have an option on a Pedersoli Plainsman .38 cal flinter. Unusually, the barrel is plum browned and has a polished and engraved lock with brass trigger guards and double set triggers.

My understanding is that the rifle only had 40 or so shots through so it looks like brand new.
However I am concerned about finding the right diameter round ball and patch ball combo. Searches of the net, so far, have found .360 diameter Lee moulds at Track of the wolf. I have found other .375 moulds that don't ship to Australia. from what I see here in Australia calibers under .45 are very thin on the ground.The problem is that not all those with suitable ( .38 cal ) moulds want to ship down under.Therefore I would prefer to stick with Lee moulds for availability.

My shooting is confined to match shooting paper targets and the occasional rendezvous.

My question to the learned gentlemen of the board is what is the optimum patch and ball combo for a .38. Not having shot a small caliber like this I am only guessing at a .360" round ball over a .012" patch.

If you have experience and advice with a .38 cal round ball gun I would certainly like to hear about it please.

Thanks

JeffinNZ
10-12-2016, 03:50 AM
A .38cal will use a .375 ball.

ericp
10-12-2016, 07:42 AM
Have you tried Jeff Tanner? He's a Brit and may be willing to ship your way. Also, his molds are beautiful.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.html

Eric

bob208
10-12-2016, 08:14 AM
I have rebored some wore out .32-.36 rifles to .38. use the lee mold for a 1851 colt navy. which is .375.

Whitesmoke
10-18-2016, 01:50 AM
Thanks guys,

Too late ! I blinked and it was snapped up.

Thinking about it it was too long to get behind the seat of my pickup which is how I transport my rifles.

In fact it is too long for the gun cupboard.