PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seed shoot

shaper
10-11-2016, 08:56 AM
I am a member of the local wildlife club. This past weekend we sponsored another Appleseed shoot. My bad knee wouldn't let me shoot so I was the gofer. The oldest shooter was in the 70's. One man brought his two small children. The boy was 6 and the girl was 8. Typically they had two much energy. The boy ate 6 of the donuts I supplied. But when it was time to go to the line, they were all business. They were shooting Ruger 10/22 and dad was shooting a AR15. He had a ammo malfunction. He had made a shot and it chambered another but the bolt would not go all the way forward. The rifle had to torn down and a rod was used to push the brass back out. It appears the brass from the first shot had broken off about an inch from the base. That part ejected but it left the rest of the brass in the barrel. The second cartridge went into the first and jammed in the barrel. The barrel was cleared and the rifle reassembled. All of his ammo was new still in the boxes. There were no more problems with his ammo or rifle. The Apple seed volunteers were real pros through the process. One of the reasons I didn't shoot was I didn't own a 10/22. I do now though and I am making plans to put in a 82 foot shooting range in my lower pasture. I will be ready for the next shoot off in the spring. Oh, the little 8 year old girl, she out shot most of the adults on the line. She is looking forward to the spring shoot also. Competition, got to love it.

foesgth
10-11-2016, 10:38 AM
As my wife (who is an Appleseed instructor) says. "Shoot like a girl...If you can."

longranger
10-11-2016, 04:41 PM
I agree with your wife "Shoot like a girl" My daughter and granddaughter's have always showed more discipline than their brothers.
I had a coach in High School that was eventually my Daughter's volley ball coach,"The Girls always show up ready to play/practice.The boys take extra time to get their attention and stop screwing off".

WRideout
10-11-2016, 04:49 PM
I have always had better luck giving firearms instruction to women; they will actually listen to you.Wayne

richhodg66
10-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Been my experience coaching an air rifle team. Seems they take instruction better and don't let egos get in the way.

2wheelDuke
10-11-2016, 08:13 PM
The Appleseed folks I've run into have always been great. My local club hosts them a couple times a year.

Shaper, one of these steel AQT sets would be great in your garden.

http://riflemantrainingtargets.com/aqt_ltts.html

I bought one to use at the club, but keep it locked at the firing line with a combination lock so that others may use it. The club insisted on reimbursing me for the target even though I'd intended to donate it.

shaper
10-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the link. It is just what I need.