PDA

View Full Version : RCBS/Lyman Top Punch for Lee C309-170-F?

shoebox56
10-09-2016, 11:41 PM
Hello. Relatively new to casting. Researching on using C309-170-F for my 30-30 Marlin 336W. I can't find a top punch that will be compatible with this boolit and my RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2. I saw the "Lee to Lyman and RCBS Top Punches" chart, and no top punch is listed. Am I missing something? Can anyone recommend a top punch I can use? Thanks.

avogunner
10-10-2016, 05:45 AM
As its a .30 cal flat point profile, I use the same punch as for a Lyman 311041 boolit, the #8. Works fine.
Semper Fi

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

shoebox56
10-10-2016, 09:51 AM
As its a .30 cal flat point profile, I use the same punch as for a Lyman 311041 boolit, the #8. Works fine.
Semper Fi

Thanks! I will use Lyman #8 Top Punch then.

waco
10-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Tom @ Accurate offers a variety of different sized flat top punches for a very fair price. They work very well with any flat nose boolit.

waco
10-10-2016, 07:42 PM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/order.php

Mk42gunner
10-10-2016, 11:42 PM
I use a one inch section of rod cut from a ¼" bolt for probably 90% of the boolits I run through my Lubamatic.

Robert

Toymaker
10-11-2016, 08:37 AM
For a perfect fit clean the top punch thoroughly. I use acetone. Take a bullet and lightly grease the nose. I've used Imperial sizing wax, lube, axel grease, etc. Now mix up a dab of JB Weld and put it into the cup of the top punch. Be sure to get it down inside. You want enough to have a little squeeze out when you insert the bullet. Now mount the top punch in the sizer; put the bullet in the die; run the top punch down onto the bullet firmly. DO NOT PUSH THE BULLET DOWN INTO THE DIE. If, in your opinion, you have too much squeeze out take a strip of Kleenex and use it ONCE like a shoe polishing cloth to wipe the excess off. Repeat with another strip if necessary.

JB Weld sets in 6 minutes so you have lots of time to work, just don't putz around. While it "hardens" in 4 - 6 hours I've found my results are better if I leave it over night.

Next morning raise the sizer arm and the top punch should separate from the bullet easy. If it doesn't, don't panic - no problem. A little sideways movement of the bullet will free it. You can remove the top punch and trim any additional excess but I usually don't bother. You now have a top punch modified for a perfect fit to your bullet.

You use that top punch for two different bullets? Buy another one - they're cheap.

shoebox56
10-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Greatly appreciate all the great ideas.