PDA

View Full Version : Homelite 540 chainsaw sparkplug?

HarryT
10-09-2016, 07:12 PM
I've got a 27 year old Homelite 540 chainsaw (28 inch blade) I'd like to use. I got this saw in 1989 for Hurricane Hugo clean up. I haven't used it since. Now thanks to Hurricane Matthew I have some big trees to cut. The saw has a Champion CJ6 in it now. Homelite calls for a CJ6Y. And I have a box of Champion DJ8J sparkplugs on hand that I use in my other chainsaws. Does anyone know if the DJ8J is the wrong heat range for the 540? The parts stores are closed here due no electricity.

HarryT
10-09-2016, 07:54 PM
I just noticed the CJ6 plug has a copper gasket and the DJ8J has a tapered seal with no gasket. I'll have to wait for the parts stores to open.

Storydude
10-09-2016, 08:18 PM
http://progreengrass.com/spark-plug-cross-reference-chart/

rancher1913
10-09-2016, 08:22 PM
did you try cleaning it, might be all it needs. a plug shouldn't go bad just sitting. after a good clean up put the wire back on it and lay it beside the motor, make sure its touching the motor to get a ground and pull the cord, if you have good spark you are good to go. I have some equipment with 30 year old plugs that still work just fine.

Storydude
10-09-2016, 08:30 PM
I'm leaning towards sitting for 27 years, the diaphram in the carb is probably brittle and not allowing fuel to flow.

HarryT
10-09-2016, 10:19 PM
I hate to admit it but the spark plug's insulator (the white ceramic part) came loose and hot gas flowed through the gap and melted the spark plug wire. I don't know how long the saw ran like this. The saw has good compression so I'm hoping a new plug will get it going.

44man
10-10-2016, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=Storydude;3805464]I'm leaning towards sitting for 27 years, the diaphram in the carb is probably brittle and not allowing fuel to flow. Where I am too. Small engines drive me nuts. Use the plug for the engine but problems are fuel mostly.

jonp
10-10-2016, 07:24 PM
chainsaws are tough pieces of equipment. If you get good compression that is a good sign. Your carb after sitting that long might be gummed up from the fuel, though. Use the correct plug and put some Berrymans or something in the gas, try to get straight gas not cut with ethanol, into it. Use Lucas Ethanol Additive if all you can get is ethanol fuel.

I'm with the others, though. If it's sat that long you probably need to rebuild the carb. Not a tough job and you can do it yourself. The saw probably will get you through the storm clean up but you should do that.

Storydude
10-10-2016, 09:42 PM
27 year old saw's gonna hate any fuel you put in it today. I'd suggest a can of vp small engine if you can find it, or one of the trublend from home depot. It's expensive, but it's actual gasoline, not "automotive fuel" of today. Even the non-ethanol fuel is nothing like the old gasoline.

44man
10-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Fuel is so bad today my weed whacker would not start. I touched the fuel lines going into the tank and they broke off. I drained the tank to get the clunk/filter out and when I touched the lines with my forceps, they turned to dust.

OnHoPr
10-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Yea, a bunch of the stuff above. A bunch of stuff could give you problems. Gas tank stone filter gummed up, spark plug, dry rot lines, probable diaphram problems in carb, flywheel/coil/magneto a bit rusty, needle valve/ports corrosion or gummed, something dried or corroded under the little soft plugs ports, etc. If you got compression and it was put away running that means it just needs a good check up, cleaning, and a few minor parts. Put a little gas in the cylinder and see if it will fire up. Oh, if you have a marina around they should/might have some older style regular gas for the old Christ Crafts and such. Though, there maybe a specialty gas depot around the area.

Lloyd Smale
10-11-2016, 09:14 AM
not only will alchohol dry out fuel lines it will also make your saw run to lean if you don't adjust for it. Ive seen 2 strokes seize up because of it.

44man
10-11-2016, 12:48 PM
not only will alchohol dry out fuel lines it will also make your saw run to lean if you don't adjust for it. Ive seen 2 strokes seize up because of it.
Yeah, ruined a Husky when it went to 100,000 rpms before I could release the trigger. BANG-STOP.
Parts were more then a new saw. Even from Jack's Small engines.

Storydude
10-11-2016, 03:19 PM
try Jthomas.com

jonp
10-11-2016, 06:55 PM
27 year old saw's gonna hate any fuel you put in it today. I'd suggest a can of vp small engine if you can find it, or one of the trublend from home depot. It's expensive, but it's actual gasoline, not "automotive fuel" of today. Even the non-ethanol fuel is nothing like the old gasoline.

On what grounds would you say that? Non ethanol gas is non ethanol gas.

jonp
10-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Fuel is so bad today my weed whacker would not start. I touched the fuel lines going into the tank and they broke off. I drained the tank to get the clunk/filter out and when I touched the lines with my forceps, they turned to dust.

You tried Lucas Ethanol Additive? It's supposed to help and stabalize the fuel. When I put my chainsaw away every year at camp, it sit's the whole year in the shed until I show up again, I drain the gas, run it out then pull the plug and put some oil like Marvel into the cylinder and give it a couple of pulls then put the plug back in. It's worked for 10 yrs although it takes some pulling to get it started when I get home but not too bad.

HarryT
10-11-2016, 07:02 PM
I think I may take up cussing!!! I took all the covers off, replaced the spark plug and spark plug wire, cleaned the magnet and pickup, soaked the carburetor, cleaned the air filter, replaced the fuel filter, sharpened the chain, cleaned the saw up like brand new. I filled it with new high-test gas/synthetic oil plus Seafoam, gave it a shot of two stroke starting fluid and it fired right up. I adjusted the carburetor and the 540 is running great. So, I went inside to put on all the required safety gear. Came back to the shop and rolled the saw on its side, filled the oil reservoir with oil not knowing that the oil was running out almost as fast as I was putting it in. There's a plastic oil tube that runs from the reservoir to the chain and it's broke. It looks like a big job to install a new oil tube. I might buy a $200 Chinese 22 inch chain saw off Amazon. I'll probably never need a big saw after this clean up. The 540 engine might end up on a go-kart.

rancher1913
10-11-2016, 09:42 PM
I feel for you, harry, been cutting firewood and the clutch burned up on my stihl. we go through about 10 cords a year and this is the first clutch that I have ever lost. went to order parts and they were 50 bucks plus shipping, when I went to check out they only take paypall so they lost my business. found some after market parts for 18 bucks and free shipping so we will see how they do.

too many things
10-11-2016, 10:10 PM
oil line should not be a big deal . check ebay the old homeys had a adapter that was mounted between the push pump and the oil tank so you would only have about a 3in rubber hose .
if you cant find it PM and I can get you the tube .
as for gas they sell gas that don't have the alch and its sold most places but its about $3 to 3.25 a gal
called camp gas some places

jonp
10-12-2016, 05:13 AM
I think I may take up cussing!!! I took all the covers off, replaced the spark plug and spark plug wire, cleaned the magnet and pickup, soaked the carburetor, cleaned the air filter, replaced the fuel filter, sharpened the chain, cleaned the saw up like brand new. I filled it with new high-test gas/synthetic oil plus Seafoam, gave it a shot of two stroke starting fluid and it fired right up. I adjusted the carburetor and the 540 is running great. So, I went inside to put on all the required safety gear. Came back to the shop and rolled the saw on its side, filled the oil reservoir with oil not knowing that the oil was running out almost as fast as I was putting it in. There's a plastic oil tube that runs from the reservoir to the chain and it's broke. It looks like a big job to install a new oil tube. I might buy a $200 Chinese 22 inch chain saw off Amazon. I'll probably never need a big saw after this clean up. The 540 engine might end up on a go-kart.

I bought an $89 52cc chinese chainsaw on ebay. Looks like a Husky clone just in an off color red. Seems to run like a champ and for the amount I'm using it a great bargain. If your going to buy one and leave it sit for months at a time I might consider going that way. 52cc is plenty big enough to get cut what a non professional and most professionals on a regular basis will cut.

Heck for that price buy 2. Put one together and leave one in a box.

44man
10-12-2016, 08:49 AM
I bought an ECHO from Home Depot for way less then parts to fix the Husky. Made in Japan and it cuts better then all the Solo's I had. I still have a monster Solo that has cut tons of boards out of trees for furniture.
The Echo does not have that great a compression release but it helps. Daughter had a Stihl so hard to pull you could yank it over your head. Never had that with a Solo and they were one of the first saw makers, right up the road from Stihl. My big one is about 56 years old and still runs like a champ. It is heavy, all metal.
The worst saws on earth were the Mac 10's. Work fine a few days then never start again. The big Macs were great.

Storydude
10-12-2016, 11:38 AM
On what grounds would you say that? Non ethanol gas is non ethanol gas.
You are somewhat correct. Non-ethanol Auto Fuel is non ethanol Auto Fuel. Auto fuel hasn't been real "Gasoline" for about 20 years.
Decreases in Benzine, Xylene, Acetone and other light aromatics mean those additives were replaced with more "green" alternatives.

Too bad those new additives do not play nice with the plastics, lines and rubber/silicones in the carb and tanks of a 20+ year old handheld.

Even cars from the 80's that are unmodified will have issues if fed a diet of modern non-ethanol fuel.

HarryT
10-16-2016, 10:57 AM
After watching hours of youtube DIY chainsaw repair videos, and disassembling/reassembling the 540 many times, the saw is functioning perfectly. I got two new chains and have ordered an Alaskan Sawmill kit for it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

44man
10-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Good! I make my own chain I buy reels from, from Cutters Choice. I don't have the tools so I grind the rivets off and use a small ball peen hammer to make heads. Rivet spinners and tools are expensive.
They say use a different chain for lumber and I bought a reel. It cuts slow, but smoother. Rip chain instead of crosscut.
But you never said what you found. I bet it was the carb.

osteodoc08
10-16-2016, 12:54 PM
I've had good luck with my Echo as well. Modern fuel is a small engines worst nightmare. I always use stabilizer but still have issues from time to time. Mostly with fuel lines and primer bulbs.

HarryT
10-16-2016, 01:08 PM
The saw wouldn't crank because the spark plug's insulator came lose from the metal base and allowed the compression to leak out. This burnt the insulation off the spark plug wire. After I installed a new wire and spark plug plus cleaning the fuel system the saw ran great. This saw has a handle with the fuel/oil tanks separate from the engine. I had to replace the bar oil hose and prime the oil pump before the bar oiler would work. The saw originally used a 75 gauge chain but I could only find 72 gauge locally. The small engine expert said the narrow chain would cut better than the heavy duty 75. I ordered a couple of ripping chains but if I enjoy making boards, I will follow your lead and get a roll of chain. Thanks.