PDA

View Full Version : Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Pages : [1] 2

huntersdog
10-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Online it seeming like powder coating is to becoming very popular thing with cast boolits. So, do you lube or powder coat your bullets?

marlin39a
10-06-2016, 05:03 PM
I've been lubing for 40 yrs, and I'm not changing my ways now. I like the looks of a properly filled out lead bullet, sized and lubed. I don't like the looks of a painted bullet.

Eddie17
10-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Powder coat has been cheap and easy. Guns clean up spotless, to date.178284

Ickisrulz
10-06-2016, 05:16 PM
I seem to shoot about everyday and always have ammo available. This is without using a progressive press or lube/sizing machine. I pan lube, dip lube and tumble lube. For me, it is cheap and fast, but not always neat.

country gent
10-06-2016, 05:19 PM
I an lube and shoot as cast. But I also only am casting for BPCR rifles currently. On some low use bullets I hand lube filling the grooves with SPG and my thumb / finger also.

Preacher Jim
10-06-2016, 05:19 PM
In tests with my ransom rest the powder coat lacked a slight amount on accuracy. For the normal shooter it would not matter. It was enough that I will stay with my squeeze and grease.
I will say the powder coat Bullets averaged 3.78 faster than lube. If I had guns that leaded I think powder coat would help with clean up. Now the P C people will debate but the same barrel same brass same components was used in the tests.

runfiverun
10-06-2016, 05:25 PM
lube.
and I don't clean my cast boolit barrels so who cares if p/c is super clean[er?] I wouldn't know the difference.

shoot-n-lead
10-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Powder coat, only...now...but I used conventional lube for YEARS...TOO long.

Preacher Jim
10-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Five not every body shoots smooth bore��

LakeviewBulldog
10-06-2016, 05:41 PM
For me the low cost barrier and cleanliness of shake and bake powder coating was a key factor when I first started casting. Although one day I will buy a lubrisizer to play around with.

Scharfschuetze
10-06-2016, 05:42 PM
I see the advantages to powder coating; but after 40 years of sizing and lubing boolits, I'm pretty happy with the procedure and I've enjoyed stellar results from the beginning. I'll stay with what I know, but I appreciate other technologies as well.

Dusty Bannister
10-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Still one that sizes and lubes because I see no need to become dependent on a source for powder coating. Not saying I will not try it at some point, but have not found the need yet.

DerekP Houston
10-06-2016, 05:44 PM
don't own a lubrisizer so...tumble lube, pc, and hitek for me

RogerDat
10-06-2016, 06:16 PM
I went with PC and Other since tumble lube was not mentioned and is different than filling the lube grooves with slickem.

There are some places where PC seems to be the right choice, getting good result in an auto loader in .223 is one place. 7.62 x 39 Russian seems like another. In magnum pistol it might make a difference. By allowing softer lead at higher velocities might provide better expansion in a particular cast bullet. Not required for 30 caliber bolt rifles but also works well with minimum equipment up front.

Tumble lube allows one to decide tonight that they want to load up a few hundred pistol bullets tomorrow and for 10 minute time investment the little lead pills are ready to load the next day.

Tumble and shake and bake PC allow for wide range of calibers, wide range of velocities with very little up front expense. With PC picking up where TL falls short. One of these days I might look into some sort of lube press. But it is way down on the list, more of a "if I happen to find one cheap" than I am actively looking. I may try pan or dip lubing with one of the stick lubes just because it don't cost much to play with and winter is coming so more time to dink around.

brtelec
10-06-2016, 06:59 PM
I PC exclusively. I like the cleanliness of it and the lack of leading. My faster and long range rifles still get a steady diet of jacketed.

gpidaho
10-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Eastwoods basic gun is on sale for 59.99 right now. I've used mine for a year and a half with no problems. Gp

ascast
10-06-2016, 07:19 PM
I am curious how 61.54%, 50% and 11.54% add up to 100% is that new math? I lube, but would be interested in coating if hyper velocity can be had.

Don Fischer
10-06-2016, 07:23 PM
I've been doing PC, tumble lube and lube-sizer. I use my lube-sizer on bullet's from molds with the lube groves, that's just the 38 and 32L. My 9mm, 308 bullet's are from Lee molds and mostly I tumble lube them. Tried PC a few time's and most the bullet's came out nice but seem's time consuming to me. But is nice to handle such clean bullet's, no lube to touch. As far as the gun's staying clean, I haven't seen an advantage to either way. but thinking about upping the velocity some with the 308 bullet's and guess i'll find out if tumble lube keep's on keeping on. On the subject of PCing, I had to go to the hospital last weekend and get my thumb sewed up. They had what looked like a pair of tweezers bu they had point's built into the ends. They gave me a set and i tried picking up some bullet's with then and they are beautiful. i can see no more powder missing where I picked up the bullet's with reg tweezers. have no idea what they are called.

daloper
10-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I haven't been casting for very long. I started with tumble lube at first. Now that my uncle gave me his Star sizer I have started to use that. I am just starting to dabble with the pc. Haven't made up my mind yet as to what I will settle into.

Tazza
10-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Not even my math is that bad to get those totals :)

I more or less use the shake and bake method with a non stick coating. I used lee alox years ago, i didn't like the sticky projectiles and the smoke, but it worked just fine. I went for the polymer coating and haven't looked back.

I only shoot pistol, it works great for me, no idea how effective it is on rifle speeds.

DerekP Houston
10-06-2016, 07:44 PM
I am curious how 61.54%, 50% and 11.54% add up to 100% is that new math? I lube, but would be interested in coating if hyper velocity can be had.

you can select multiple answers

my only complaint against alox/traditional lube is the build up in my seating die.

edit: my free hand hold isn't steady enough to see a difference in pc vs lube.

shoot-n-lead
10-06-2016, 07:45 PM
In tests with my ransom rest the powder coat lacked a slight amount on accuracy. For the normal shooter it would not matter. It was enough that I will stay with my squeeze and grease.
I will say the powder coat Bullets averaged 3.78 faster than lube. If I had guns that leaded I think powder coat would help with clean up. Now the P C people will debate but the same barrel same brass same components was used in the tests.

No debate here...my guns are different...powder coat is more accurate in mine.

But, either way, there is not enough difference to make any difference unless shooting off the bench. Off-hand shooting, no way to tell the difference.

Kraschenbirn
10-06-2016, 07:53 PM
You're missing a response category...how 'bout 'BOTH'? I haven't been doing PC for very long but have pretty much converted for all my handgun boolits BUT, for now, I'm still shooting CF rifle rounds sized/lubed the old-fashioned way. Reason: I've got a better'n fair quantity of good, accurate rifle ammo and ready-to-load boolits on hand. When I get to the point where I need to cast again for the rifle calibers, I'll probably have a go at PC load development for one of my 'easy' calibers...but without seeing some kind of substantial gain, I don't see myself committing too much time to reinventing the wheel.

Bill

jcren
10-06-2016, 08:30 PM
I've been doing PC, tumble lube and lube-sizer. I use my lube-sizer on bullet's from molds with the lube groves, that's just the 38 and 32L. My 9mm, 308 bullet's are from Lee molds and mostly I tumble lube them. Tried PC a few time's and most the bullet's came out nice but seem's time consuming to me. But is nice to handle such clean bullet's, no lube to touch. As far as the gun's staying clean, I haven't seen an advantage to either way. but thinking about upping the velocity some with the 308 bullet's and guess i'll find out if tumble lube keep's on keeping on. On the subject of PCing, I had to go to the hospital last weekend and get my thumb sewed up. They had what looked like a pair of tweezers bu they had point's built into the ends. They gave me a set and i tried picking up some bullet's with then and they are beautiful. i can see no more powder missing where I picked up the bullet's with reg tweezers. have no idea what they are called.

Rat tooth graspers or rat tooth forceps. Wife is a scrub-tech working on a rn. And they do work great.

Pmg
10-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Pc works for me, I like how much cleaner my gun's stay.

Orchard6
10-06-2016, 08:46 PM
I pc my higher velocity handgun boolits but for plinking rounds 45-45-10 works and is faster and easier to apply than pc.

Murphy
10-06-2016, 09:32 PM
I will admit, powder coating would be a good thing to know. So is sizing and lubing in a lube/sizer. Pan lubing has it's place also.

However, I've got more reloading 'stuff' than I can say grace over as is. Lord help me if I discovered something else to toss on the pile. That being said, after 30+ years of lube sizing, I don't see myself changing anytime soon. Not that I won't, but I don't see good old fashion lube sizing ever going away.

Murphy

RogerDat
10-06-2016, 09:37 PM
I don't use straight alox for tumble lube, I use 45/45/10 and looking at trying BLL with Johnson Liquid wax. The purpose of mixing the alox in these other recipes is to get something that is as effective as a lube without the sticky surface and long drying time.

There is this source for pre-made 45/45/10 and the owner is good people from all reports.
http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2
The page also has bulk xlox (Alox from Lee but without the name infringement) but in larger sizes for good prices.

Worth looking over there web site since they make good assortment of lubes, some being similar to the homemade recipes that are well established here as being good but without you having to do the home cooking. http://www.lsstuff.com/home

There is a lot of difference in the results on the bullet between straight Alox and 45/45/10 when used as tumble lube. Both do smoke maybe a bit but if it bothers you fire off a cylinder of cap and ball first and then even Alox will seem minor smoke in comparison. Really not bad at all as far as I'm concerned.

RobS
10-06-2016, 11:52 PM
I have powder coated and now Hi-Tek hand gun loads. Still working on rifle boolits and until then nothing to replace a good old homemade traditional lube for what I am doing there. I may be getting close though with the rifle boolits using Hi-Tek

Nick Quick
10-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Since I started using Star lube/sizer I find sizing and lubing the easiest and fastest way to do both operations in the same time.
I tried PC and shake and bake is not that fast. Arranging the bullets on the tray one by one is kinda slow. But the slowest and most annoying at shake and bake is removing the coated bullets from the aluminium foil. Holly guacamole, takes forever to remove 100 bullets without having leftovers foil on the bullet bottom. That's what I call a chore.

dragon813gt
10-07-2016, 12:18 AM
Lubing for me. I follow the PC accuracy threads. At this point it's to much work w/ little to no results. White Label makes great lubes so I don't have to chase a magic lube. It takes very little work to find an accurate load w/ conventional lube. And BLL is making things even easier.

10-07-2016, 03:30 AM
I voted other as most of mine get coated with HItek, still tumble lube a few pistol bullets that are used in light loads and shot as cast but even my black powder rifle bullets get HiTek and then run through the lube sizer to fill the groves.

toallmy
10-07-2016, 06:41 AM
I lube most on a magma lubesizer , but tumble lube with Bill for unsized wad cutters is fast , powered some to . I'm in the lube size camp but with options , and it's a good place to be .

Hickok
10-07-2016, 08:00 AM
"Do I lube or powder coat?"

Why yes I do!:bigsmyl2:

toallmy
10-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Nice to see you out and about Hickok .

nekshot
10-07-2016, 08:31 AM
I do both but pc more. If I want to go faster (over 2000 fps) I lube(PC also) and use Simple Lube. For some reason that lube(on PC) works for me at higher speeds, 1800 and above. I used to use Bens Red but Simple Lube won my affection in the long run.

ShooterAZ
10-07-2016, 10:38 AM
I use lube only, mainly white label. It gives me great results now, no reason for me to switch.

Green Ghost
10-07-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm a newer caster and almost quit because LLA was too messy/sticky and pan lubing was too slow for me. I got a lyman 450 luber and it's just right.

I only load 45 acp and I think you could just spit on it and not get leading.

Don Fischer
10-07-2016, 10:54 AM
I'm a newer caster and almost quit because LLA was too messy/sticky and pan lubing was too slow for me. I got a lyman 450 luber and it's just right.

I only load 45 acp and I think you could just spit on it and not get leading.

Yes you could but it helps to rinse your mouth with LLA first! :-)

mdi
10-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Yes, me too...

Hmmm. I wonder if the OP has seen the Coatings and Alternatives sub-forum? It dates back at least 3 years...

Walter Laich
10-07-2016, 11:50 AM
still will lube some but getting less and less

Hickok
10-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Nice to see you out and about Hickok .Thanks friend.

JSnover
10-07-2016, 12:57 PM
Lube. Nothing against PC but I'm not a high volume shooter, just cast a bunch in the spring and pan lube/load as needed. I have tubs of lube in the freezer and just add a bit to the pan when it gets low.

Budzilla 19
10-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Started out tumble lube, then went to Hi-Tek, now do PC and hitek, so no real answer I guess, except to quote some one else," why yes I do"!!!! BLL is now wad cutter lube, and just for grins, BLL over hitek on some heavy rifle loads! Worked out good enough for me. Just my .02 cents.

W.R.Buchanan
10-07-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm doing both but that may change as I get further into the powder coating. So far it is looking pretty good and it has some definite advantages over the conventional methods of lubing boolits.

The volume of boolits you can process on one sitting is far greater than my Lyman 450 and after they are coated pushing them thru a push thru die is easy fast and clean.

The PC also tends to make the bases of boolits nice and flat.

But the main one I see so far is not having to mess with the lube and the mess it creates. Handling PC'd boolits is a far nicer experience.

Randy

gwpercle
10-07-2016, 02:31 PM
I lube because when I started powder coating had't been invented. Pan lube , tumble lube and lube/sizer was it.
Pan lubing was messy , I didn't like the way tumble lubing looked and if I was going to size them I might as well lube them them at the same time.
The Lyman 450 was purchased decades ago...it was the newest model then.
I'm happy with the results and don't want to start any new method....I also don't need more stuff in my tiny crowded reloading room. I don't have any spare outlets to plug an oven in anyways.
Really no right or wrong way, just different methods to get the cat skinned.

Gary

OS OK
10-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Going both ways, lube/size and PC in rifles...exclusively PC in pistols and revolvers.
The lube sizing diminishes as the methods of handling post PC sizing of noses and installation of gaschecks improve.

Artful
10-07-2016, 02:35 PM
I do both - shake and bake and old style lube

Sur-shot
10-07-2016, 03:13 PM
The results I am getting with the 358 AR will not allow me to go back to lubed bullets. This is a 200gr Plain Base Flat Point RCBS at almost 2,600 FPS, .5 inches at 100 meters, no leading and clean as a whistle. I just PC them then run them through a Lee push sizer lubed with case lube, easy peazy.:mrgreen:
Ed

hd09
10-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Lube. Learned with a star sizer back in the 80s. A lot has changed, not using mirror lube much anymore.

brtelec
10-07-2016, 03:28 PM
I agree that if time were a factor, I would probably think differently about the whole subject. I am off an average of 18 days a month. Time I have for PCing.

coloraydo
10-07-2016, 03:54 PM
I do both/either, depending on the mood at the time. Have success with either one.

Shiloh
10-07-2016, 09:29 PM
lube.

Shiloh

Digital Dan
10-07-2016, 09:36 PM

'Cause some of us voted for 2 or more options?

lotech
10-08-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm not familiar with powder coating. I tried Lee's tumble lube years ago and found out quickly I was not a fan of that process. I continue to use traditional bullet lube in a lube/sizer for all cast bullets, handgun and rifle. While I see no drawbacks to this method, I would be willing to try the powder coating process if there was an accuracy advantage. My interpretation, based on what I have read, is that best accuracy still comes from traditionally lubed and sized cast bullets. Is that a correct assessment?

What process do cast bullet match winners use?

vrh
10-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Hema-stats

runfiverun
10-08-2016, 11:23 AM
they are shooting rifles.
if there was an advantage to powder coating they would be doing it.
they ain't.

lotech
10-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks; that says a lot in favor of the conventional lubing process.

Jal5
10-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Lube using lee alox cut with a liquid wax.

nrc
10-08-2016, 09:37 PM
I've only been casting a few years. Started out with 45/45/10 mostly for 45 ACP and 38 spl. Tried PC'ing as a way to run home cast boolits through a suppressor and so far I've been surprised how well it works. I may switch back at some point, but so far so good.

dverna
10-09-2016, 11:18 AM
For a new method, I am surprised how many PC. It will interesting to run this poll again in three years.

Don Verna

Lee S. Forsberg
10-09-2016, 11:30 PM
I've been using conventional lube for a very long time and it works. When PC started up I had to try it and it works. So now I use both and they work. Sometimes I PC and and lube and that works. I have to say PC is cleaner and I like colored bullets. Would I give up one for the other?
No, they both work and I get the velocities and accuracy I want.

upnorthwis
10-10-2016, 09:11 AM
I cast for a couple dozen calibers. Only the 9mm gets the PC. All the rest get lube. So I put my vote on Lube because there wasn't one that said Both.

GhostHawk
10-10-2016, 10:01 PM
All Ben's liquid lube all the time.

Easy to make, no mess, no fuss, sparkling clean bores.

JakeBlanton
10-11-2016, 01:31 AM
I just tumble lube since it is less space intensive.

Butchman205
10-12-2016, 07:27 PM
I own a lubamatic, have lots a dies,and powdercoat with shake and bake. Yes I like being able to "NOT" rely on the powder folks...but I use Smoke's powders and prob won't do anything else any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastdadio
10-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Before I joined this site all I ever cast was round balls and minies for the front stuffers. After I got going casting boolits, I lubed with the alox that came with the Lee sizers I bought to get me going. Alox worked well. Then I read all the stickie formulas about home made loob and decided to make my own loob from stuff I had on hand. My first batch worked well. Then, I read some more and gave the shake n bake PC a try. I now PC all my boolits and likely will never mess with the gooie goop again. Shake N bake baby, thats how I roll em now. And a huge thanks to all the folks that contribute to this great community. Without all the info that I found written here, my hobby would never have been elevated to the level of enjoyment that I get from it today. Thanks folks!

pmer
10-15-2016, 08:41 AM
I'm set up to spray powder coat and done it for .32 Special, 45-70 and some hand gun but I have a lot TAC 1 that needs to get used too.

bbailey7821
10-15-2016, 10:39 PM
Red Carnuba and Lyman sizer. It ain't broke!

tazman
10-17-2016, 07:06 PM
I tumble lube with White label X-lox and size with Lee push through dies when necessary. This works well for me and my handguns.
Not casting for rifle currently.

bigolsmokebomb
10-18-2016, 04:00 AM
having just gotten into casting myself I was looking for something that would be pretty close to the jacketed bullets I was already shooting so I went straight to PC. I have some liquid alox but I haven't tried it yet as I want to avoid getting my seater die gunked up with the lube and ive had so far good success with the PC. I use the 4 140 preheat and then shake and bake (credit to elvis ammo on YT) and have had really good success.

shootsblanks
10-18-2016, 12:12 PM
once I finish up my last coffee can of pb tl plinking ammo I am running exclusively powder coated, cheaper, zero leading, and for me just as accurate. i reload with cast because i am cheap, pc is cheaper than gc and lube, and my preliminary test with imr4064 and my 3030 at 2150fps show promising accuracy and NO leading, just some light powder fouling, the same load uncoated would lead like crazy and although it would put 3-5 in a 1.5" circle at 50, shots 6 and up would fill in the rifling.

yondering
10-19-2016, 02:24 AM
I tumble lube with White label X-lox and size with Lee push through dies when necessary. This works well for me and my handguns.
Not casting for rifle currently.

That's very similar to what I do, except I tumble in powder, and instead of waiting for it to dry I bake them for 20 minutes. Pretty much the same process otherwise.

Call me lazy, but I don't usually feel like taking the time to lube each bullet individually anymore, did that for years until I found an easier way. The guys saying powder coating takes too long or is too hard aren't doing it my way.

wurgerburger
10-19-2016, 10:43 AM
PC. If it wasn't invented I would not have started casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fredj338
10-19-2016, 07:39 PM
I voted other because it should also include both. I coat but haven't given up on conventional lubed, yet.

fredj338
10-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Red Carnuba and Lyman sizer. It ain't broke!

I was slow to coated too. Give it a try, you may be surprised how simple. I have a Star sizer that isn't for sale, but for many of the calibers I shoot, HT or PC coating is pretty nice.

The4thaggie
10-24-2016, 11:56 AM
My local indoor range does not allow for exposed lead rounds, so I have to coat them if I want to shoot them there. I just did my first cast/coat this weekend, and it wasn't that hard at all.

upnorthwis
10-28-2016, 12:45 PM
I only PC for one gun, 9mm S&W M&P. No matter what size or lube used, the leading was ferocious. Last USPSA match tried Beagling the mold and using the Lee lube that came with it to see if I could avoid the PC. Have been running the Outers Foulout on and off for three days now. Every time I remove the electrode there's enough lead on it to make another boolit. So it's back to PC.

dromia
10-30-2016, 05:38 AM
Tried both the powder coating and epoxy methods but found it gave no benefits and in most cases worst results over my lube sizers and found it far more of a faff-on to do.

I load predominantly for rifle including pistol calibres in rifle.

Hickory
10-30-2016, 06:04 AM
I am curious how 61.54%, 50% and 11.54% add up to 100% is that new math?

You need to take into account that some members here are democrats and some of them, by nature, will be voting more than once.

BulletFactory
10-30-2016, 06:39 PM
I used to lube. If you do, I highly recommend white label lubes.

Guns run cleaner, and the reloading process is faster and far less toxic with powder coat.

retread
10-30-2016, 08:26 PM
I ESPC , tumble coat with PC, lube with lubersizer, tumble lube with BLL, and probably will try the next thing that comes down the road. Have not gone with the HiTech coating, seem like a lot of trouble(could be wrong). I have had good results with all of the above.

flyingrhino
10-31-2016, 12:57 PM
I switched to PC because it is so much cleaner. The gun is cleaner, my reloading equipment is cleaner. Less smoke when shooting....no burning lube.

Soundguy
11-02-2016, 07:08 PM
I hard lube or tumble lube, but will start my first PC experiments this weekend.

Dave C.
11-02-2016, 07:09 PM
I will size and lube until you prove to me that painting them gives better accuracy.

jcwit
11-02-2016, 07:12 PM
At present I PC all 9mm, 380, and 32 acp, 45's I still lube. I do not shoot 10 mm enough to try one over the other.

murf205
11-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Both PC and squeeze and grease. If I lube and size, I use White Label Carnauba Red exclusively now. It only takes a bit of heat and it is my favorite by a long shot(is that a pun, or what!) I PC all my 45/70 boolits and most 357's. The 357's I own-S&W 586 & 686, show a preference for PC. The rest of my guns don't seem to show any difference between either.

hickfu
11-03-2016, 02:59 PM
I have done both but have been away from casting and reloading for quite a while so I havent been testing both to see which is more accurate. I just picked up a 30-30 and will be teaching my SIL to do it so I will have him see which he likes more and what is more accurate in our rifles.

Doc

dterninko
11-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Pretty new to casting but really like the results of PC

psweigle
11-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I tumble lube all my cast boolits. The powder coating requires more equipment and space. For me, I have a propane burner,a stainless steel 2qt pot, a ladle, spoon, and slotted serving spoon, and a six spot muffin pan to make my bigots. They all fit neatly in a tote. I use a lee 20lb pot to fill the molds. It is also small. The tumble lube is in a 2qt container and takes up no space. The added mess and space that the equipment to powdercoat would take up doesn't warrant any benefit it might gain. I've never found an application action where it was needed. I've been shooting cast bullets in all my rifles and handguns for a while now and the only leading I got was from my own mistakes.

RogerDat
11-03-2016, 04:00 PM
PC is better for velocity but man I love the ease of tumble lube. One of these days I would like to try a lube sizer just because it would be interesting to try, and there is a small spot at one end of the bench that is not buried so why waste it?

mozeppa
11-03-2016, 04:26 PM
yay! .........114% have voted.

sounds like dems have polluted our polling data as well!

yondering
11-03-2016, 11:54 PM
I tumble lube all my cast boolits. The powder coating requires more equipment and space.

Yeah, all that extra equipment is a drag. I mean, where would I put a baking tray, a toaster oven, and a ziploc bag of powder? :mrgreen:

Seriously guys, some of you are making out pc to be way harder than it is. If it's more complicated for you than tumble lubing, that's only because you want it to be. You can powder coat with pretty much the exact same process as tumble lube, except for baking instead of waiting overnight for it to dry.

toallmy
11-04-2016, 06:50 AM
You can do all the above , I lube size most because I'm lazy and it works well for me thanks to magma lubesizer , but I tumble lube some wad cutters for the 357 as cast , and I have one particular mold for the 9mm that I powder coat . But I enjoy playing with my little shiny boollits , it's all about playing with my toys . Give them all a try .

B. Lumpkin
11-04-2016, 08:22 AM
I've used PC, HI-TEK, tumble lube, and a lubesizer. I still PC or HI-Tek for my one grooveless mould, but sheer laziness made me break out the star and go back to lubesizing. The only real benefit I got from the coatings was cleanliness in the loading and shooting process. However, hopes #9 is still made, traditionally lubed bullet fouling has never caused me an issue, and it's one pull of the handle ad done with the star.

ricbor
11-13-2016, 11:50 PM
There was no powder coat last time I cast my own boolits (1984ish). BUT, my son has discovered the hobby and loves powder coating. I have shot his product (.41 Mag and .45 ACP) and can see no difference. I have to say I have found no disadvantage to powder coating and it is way less messy. I did buy him a $25 toaster oven and a couple of pounds of powder coat from HFreight. That's really the only extra expense.

RoyEllis
11-14-2016, 12:38 AM
I voted other....I PC most pistol boolits and lube/size for my rifles. Just my results, but PC rifle doesn't hold the same accuracy esp. as distance increases (mainly past 300yds but I see the difference starting @200). Your mileage may well vary,this is just my experience......

GrayTech
11-14-2016, 12:50 PM
I voted other....I PC most pistol boolits and lube/size for my rifles. Just my results, but PC rifle doesn't hold the same accuracy esp. as distance increases (mainly past 300yds but I see the difference starting @200). Your mileage may well vary,this is just my experience......
Try to keep the coating for longer range rifle as thin and uniform as possible. High gloss works the best for this as it flows much better when baked.

berksglh
11-15-2016, 10:26 AM
I PC all my loads. Then, if rifle, they get pan lubed with MML+ and lee push through sized.

For pistol, PC then Push through sized with no lube.

Shiloh
11-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Lube. Traditional and Alox.

Shiloh

blikseme300
11-16-2016, 09:19 PM
I do both but pc more. If I want to go faster (over 2000 fps) I lube(PC also) and use Simple Lube. For some reason that lube(on PC) works for me at higher speeds, 1800 and above. I used to use Bens Red but Simple Lube won my affection in the long run.

My experience as well. Using lube over PC with PB CB's allowed me to load to much higher velocities in rifles. I voted other as there is no option for both.

alamogunr
11-19-2016, 10:19 AM
I size and lube only. I'm retired and have whatever time is required and really don't need another process that requires materials and equipment. Besides, over time I've acquired 3 lube/sizers.

I also tumble lube, mostly handgun boolits to be shot at low velocities. It seems most of those are wadcutters.

8mmFan
11-19-2016, 11:15 AM
I have only ever used tumble lube with straight Lee Liquid Alox, on every kind of bullet. Seems to have always worked well, though it is kind of messy.

waco
11-19-2016, 05:08 PM
I have done it all. Powder coat has it's place for sure. Ever have a pesky Lee mold that you like everything about EXCEPT it drops boolits .001" too small? PC fixes that!
I still prefer to lube rifle boolits. I use a lot of BLL lately. If you have not tried this stuff you owe it to yourself.

Doggonekid
11-21-2016, 11:49 PM
I have just sized and lubed for 40 years. I have been powder coating for 3 years. I still can't get away from sizing and lubing also. So I guess I am just anal because I lube and PC. I like they way they look and stack in boxes. They don't lead and they shoot straight. All my cast loads are for handguns. Never had problems with any of them.

finstr
11-23-2016, 10:11 AM
I've only started casting a few years ago and tumble lubed the first few batches until I found pc. Powder coating definitely takes a little more effort but the results are worth it. I have found that really soft boolits are more accurate when PC'd and I don't have to be choosy at all about my alloy type. I don't search for Linotype or use strictly clip on weights. I have cast straight soft lead with great results as long as they're powder coated. It's like shooting plastercine lol. I think obturation is a key factor with really soft PC'd slugs. Plus the PC is very slippery so I can load em hot and not get into overpressure.

JohnH
11-27-2016, 09:02 AM
I voted lube and other as you did not allow for tumble lube. I tried PC for while and find it both messy and time consuming. I was using the shake and bake method and found that I had to size afterward (or before) to get boolits to run through my dies right. As well, in the time that it take me to coat and bake a 100 boolits I can run 'em through a sizer and be loading. If I tumble lube, I can do it in the morning, do other things while they set up and then load that evening. PC takes constant attention and I can't tell that I get any better product for the work. All my schutzen is through handguns (1000 fps and under, mostly under) and rifles, bolt and lever guns at 1800 and less, mostly less. For the extra effort, I just don't get any benefit from PC

pastorcurtis
12-14-2016, 07:20 PM
I fiddled around with various recipes for lube, various consistencies of alox + mineral spirits, slugging bores, reaming out sizers....never did get completely leading free bores on a couple guns I like to shoot....now I shake and bake powder coat, all is well, and I can use my beeswax for better things. For me, Powder Coating Makes Boolits Great Again.

Pastor Curtis

vrh
12-17-2016, 11:59 AM
I Powder Coat all of my cast bullets. Cleaner and no leading. Can't say that about lubed cast bullets. Some people would still be happy with spears and rocks to throw. Me....I am enjoying this new method.

01-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Online it seeming like powder coating is to becoming very popular thing with cast boolits. So, do you lube or powder coat your bullets?
I don't know if I agree with that. I think there is a lot of conversation and videos of PC because there is so much more to it. Lube is so simple.

gloob
01-05-2017, 09:17 PM
PC only benefits my revolvers and blowback pistols by making less smoke. My solution is I shoot my revo's only outdoors. I don't shoot my blowback pistols. And I shoot tons of lubed boolits thru my Glocks and rifles. Out of locked breech guns and rifles, PC is not cleaner, at all, IMO. Difference is nil. Of course this is only if you size and load 'em right, and if you don't have defective barrel with a stricture or a loose chamber that lets out lube smoke before the case seals to the chamber. When you figure it all out, cast/jacketed... no difference.

Engieman
01-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Both. Better with PC, still working out the bugs with HT. And still doing it the old fashioned way with the lubricant-sizer

Down South
01-07-2017, 03:09 PM
I lube. I'm not having any problems with cast boolits so I don't plan to gear up for PC.

alamogunr
01-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that plans to stay in the lube camp. I've got enough "stuff" in the shop and really don't have room for any more.

Down South
01-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that plans to stay in the lube camp. I've got enough "stuff" in the shop and really don't have room for any more.
You did a good job of nailing my thoughts.

retread
01-07-2017, 05:01 PM
I PC (ESPC) but at times I don't have the time to set up and bake so I go to my Lyman 450 and crank out some boolits to load. I enjoy both. Both shoot well. PC is a bit more time consuming (using ESPC) but what I like is the clean final product. No sticky fingers. :)

dverna
01-07-2017, 05:03 PM
The one downside to PC for me, besides not having any problems with normal lubes, is that it should not be done indoors in an unventilated space. The last thing I want to do during good weather is coat bullets. I do almost all my reloading during the winter.

Don Verna

Motor
01-07-2017, 05:15 PM
I haven't lubed a cartridge boolit since trying PC. After I shoot all my lubed ML boolits I'll try PC in it too. But that may take several years. :groner:

BAGTIC
01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
I have been tumble lubing with JPW for about 35 years now. I don't know how many years I have left but I expect to be doing the same when my reservations get cancelled.

gloob
01-13-2017, 04:19 PM
I am first to admit that not all of my guns will shoot cast bullets perfectly cleanly. Some leave fouling. And some guns (revos and blowbacks) make a lot of smoke with cast bullets. Rather than go thru trouble of powder coat, I shoot the guns that like cast bullets. I'm lucky that I prefer shooting these guns, anyhow.

I have tried powder coat on rifle bullets. Even here, I give up on cost/time/benefit. I rather stick to under 1800 fps for my main cast load and just buy jacketed bullets for full velocity. Considering effort/time, I might as well paper patch. In that I know I can make a full velocity load if I need to, but I'm not going to make that my bread and butter load for target/plinking/fun. I'm also not sure I can do any better than a premium jacketed bullet for say hunting (I don't have a 45-70!). If my cast loads are inferior, regarding terminal effect, why does it matter if they're slower? If they're accurate, I'm done. However far I can shoot them and w/e I could hunt with them, there's a limit, and that limit is fine.

Kevinkd
01-14-2017, 03:37 PM
My 38, 357, 45 and 308 (slow plinkers) I use 45-45-10. They all shoot phenomenal. I'm not changing that any time soon.

As for the 308 heavy loads and 45-70's I used pan lubing, or a homemade lube press (simple one at a time). They work fine so not PC at this time (maybe in a few years).

Also kinda hoping for people to all switch to PC, so I can get used lube sizers and dies on the cheap :twisted:

I can see the benefit but this time I'm sticking with lubing.

PS: One more thing, is if you re-capture your slugs, they will need to be broken or they may pop like a full metal jacket when heated (also the PC is gunking in smelting pot).

Peace

hpeach
01-14-2017, 08:12 PM
hey- please fix the math on the survey results. the total is well over 100%.

alamogunr
01-14-2017, 09:28 PM
hey- please fix the math on the survey results. the total is well over 100%.

Some voted twice?

michiganmike
01-18-2017, 10:02 AM
I learned of BLL (Bill's Liquid Lube) and haven't looked back. It requires very little extra equipment (I bought a generic squeeze ketchup bottle at Gordon's Foods), is easy to use and yields excellent, consistent results. I have no plans to look further. Great job Bill!

Down South
01-20-2017, 09:01 PM
From the numbers, it appears that the powder coaters are catching up with us old time lubers.

hpeach
01-21-2017, 04:12 PM
wonderful, the survey adds up to 113%. that is great!

10x
01-22-2017, 01:28 PM
In my 22 Hornet with the 37 Grain PB NOE bullet, powder coat is a sweet solution to give small groups.
Same load of subsonic 37 grain bullets with lube and powder coat - the powder coat groups were consistently 2/3 the size.
Just one gun's preference but in general powder coating matches or improves group size with all calibers I have used it.

hutch18414
01-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Since I found out about BLL I haven't even thought about using another lube. All of my pistol loads get it, and thanks to a member here I have been trying out some 30xcb bullets with gas checks and 2 coats of BLL. Have pushed them at 2500+ with absolutely no leading. And plan on trying them a little faster, just for giggles. And I don't see any need to buy all that stuff to powder coat and jump through those hoops when BLL works so well. And another thanks to Ben for his great contribution to my shooting pleasure.

yondering
01-24-2017, 09:40 PM
From the numbers, it appears that the powder coaters are catching up with us old time lubers.

I think many of us are the same people. I suspect the majority of powder coaters are people who used bullet lube in the past, and just switched or do both now.

Certainly of course there are some new casters who only powder coat and don't know the older ways, but I bet that's a small minority.

trapper9260
01-26-2017, 07:47 AM
I size and lube on the sizer.I do not clean my barrel if I will just shoot cast .But if I shot jacket I will.The part I do clean is the chamber.Also found that when i shoot shot from my case with out the cap that I get no problems also with leading.I been size and lube since I started to cast and reloading I see no reason to change.I do not need any heat for my lube if I make it soft enough if I like to also.

dmccord
06-16-2017, 02:19 AM
My lub a sizer is lonely, I have switched to powder coating everything. Less smoke and the dies stay cleaner. The reason I started was because my Grand Daughter started shooting with me at my little range (she was 8 then) and I heard the lead was worse for children that for us older guys and I do not know if its a problem or not but I just did not want to risk it with her around. Now she is 12 and she shoots and runs my Dillon 650 so I would not want her handling the lead bullets so this way its all sealed up and safe for her to handle when she is running the press.

I did enjoy running the Lube A Sizer I do not know why I just liked it.

Whitespider
06-16-2017, 11:08 AM
I missed this thread the first time around...

I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist, coating lead-alloy boolits with epoxy/paint just seems wrong to me. It seems like a jacketed bullet to me... the gilding metal replaced with gilding epoxy/paint. And, colored boolits also look wrong to me... just wrong. I'm not putting anyone down for using PC... whatever floats your boat is the "right" thing for you, I'm only stating what's "wrong" to me, and only me.

However, I do see the advantages to PCing for certain applications... indoor shooting being the big one. And I am contemplating giving PC (shake 'n' bake) a try on the little .22 boolits used in my Hornet... they're a huge pain to get properly checked, lubed, and sized without wiping out the lube grooves. But then again, standing those little boolits on their bases and transferring them to the oven seems like it would be a challenge.

murf205
06-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Both. Squeeze and grease and cookin' depends on what I launch 'em in.

trixter
06-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Just an observation, I started with Lee Liquid Alox because that was what came with my Lee sizer kit for 452. I quickly learned that almost every time I was using too much. When I finally got it right, it dried nicely and worked great. When applied properly you shouldn't hardly be able to see it, and should dry overnight, or in about 2 hours with a fan on it.
So what I have concluded is this, most folks use too much, leaving the seating die coated and a mess.
Yes I still have to clean my seating die, but not nearly as often. Just an observation.

17nut
06-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Yes and no.

I sometimes lube and for the rest i use Hi-Tek wich is actually formulated as a bullet lubricant not an industrial surface coating like PC.

Lloyd Smale
06-21-2017, 06:19 AM
I do it both ways depending on the purpose for the bullet. High velocity rifle and pistol bullets for that semi auto guns get pc'd. Revolver and lever gun level rifle bullets get lube sized.

trixter
06-21-2017, 07:50 PM
I used Lee Liquid Alox on my rifle boolits, and I think I have enough for a lifetime Lee C-309-150 F for my 30-06 and a bolt action Remington in 300 Savage. For my 223 lead boolits, so far I have run them through a lube sizer, but I am experimenting with powder coating them. For my 380, Hornady XTP factory bullets only, and for my 45 and 9mm I am powder coating all of them. So, a little of everything.

edadmartin
06-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Hey, ive only been reloading for 5 years.i really enjoy all aspects except for one, lubing.somethines pan lube somestimes tumbl lube .ive made my own and ive used alox too. Its messy and stinky and at my indoor range its unpleasant at best.
So i cast and powder coated 4 batches of 200 gr lswc boolits and tried 4 different powders. White and black from powder by the pound red from hf.and a mixture of hf red and Pbtp black. I used the shake n bake method without any paintballs to raise static.
I tumbled them for 1 hour. About 50-75 at a time.Then put them on the toaster oven tray with parchment paper under them . The heat was set at 400 and i set the timer at 25 minutes. When done and still hot i quenched them in water. This seemed to eliminate the sticking together. All in all they came out good and sized fine. You must be carefull to get excess powder off before dumping onto the oven tray or they do stick together. I think when my system is perfected ill never look back on grease lube again.the caviaut would be for precision loading for long range competition.
Now you all will have to test for your self methods will and do vary. Powder by the pound is about 4 times as expensive. Ford blue black dark green do work well and only need one baking to cover well. HF red is the best for coverage and price.
I did add some PBTP black to the HF red and got a plumb color they worked together just fine. Fortunecookie 45lc and elvis ammo both have great info on you tube. Its fun it works plus the barrell in my 1911 doesnot leadup and it cleans quickly.

gwpercle
06-22-2017, 03:03 PM
I was kind of surprised at the poll , I thought myself and maybe two other old guys were still cranking the handle on a lube sizer.....figured everyone had gone over to the new improved "shake & bake" method of doing it !

OK I just figured out what's going on....take a look at the age poll.....most of us are OLD guys...we have trouble with new tricks!
Gary

Reverend Al
06-23-2017, 02:14 PM
I had to vote "other" since I use both methods ...

mdi
01-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Yes. Done both and it depends on what I feel like doing at the time...

Joby
01-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Powder coating is taking over more and more. Just too easy and clean. Been doing some round balls in powder for the fun also.

GhostHawk
01-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Ben's Liquid Lube on everything!

JBinMN
01-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Tumble lube with 45/45/10, or pan lube with a mix of Johnsons Paste wax,paraffin/candles,vaseline,a couple crayons, and so on.

bruce drake
01-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Just ordered a pound of powder to experiment with this PC aspect. Been tumble lubing and lubesizing for 20 years, figured I might have to try out the new process.

Bruce

lightman
01-03-2018, 11:19 AM
I still use a luber/sizer. While appreciating the advantages PC offers I'm just not ready to gear up for this. Sizing and lubing bullets goes pretty fast for me, I get good results, and I'm pretty heavily invested in the equipment. A casting buddy started PC'ing and gave me some samples to try but I have not had the opportunity yet.

marek313
01-03-2018, 12:15 PM
I just started reloading recently but after reading many posts here and on other sites I went straight to PC and never even tried any other kind of lube. Yes standing those little puppies up on a tray takes some time but results are great. I had a problem with ergonomics but I moved my setup from my basement to the living room to a more comfortable position in front of my TV so now I can sit there all day and it doesnt bother me. I just did about 1500 9s and 45s in 3 days and that includes sizing. I never tried conventional lubes but I dont see a reason to get into it. Seems like a step backwards if you ask me. PC does everything and it does it clean. Thanx to PC I'm yet to have any leading in any of my guns.

stubshaft
01-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Doing both. PC allows me to shoot soft 8bhn - 9bhn boolits at full velocity in my pistols with no leading. That is something lube could never do. However, in some of my cartridges lube does give me better accuracy. I don't ever think that I will use just one type exclusively.

white eagle
01-03-2018, 02:24 PM
the more I use PC the more I like using PC
I have been casting along time and anything that make the
chores quicker or easier I am all for it
I find it easier to get my PC boolits to target more accurately
with less fuss than I do with lube sized boolits

10gaOkie
01-03-2018, 04:01 PM
I lubed all of my cast bullets for years using a RCBS Lube Sizer. Only recently did I switch over to 45/45/10 tumble lube on all bullets, both pistol and rifle. So much quicker and easier! Oh yeah, I switched over to using the Lee push through sizing dies also. I was so used to using the old way, maybe too stubborn to change, I would have been smarter to having made the switch much sooner than I did. I use the tumble lube on both tumble lube grooves as well as conventional. /Chris

popper
01-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Used peanut butter, veggie oil, LLAA, Recluse, HiTek, BLL & PC. I think the ESPC machine will go on the shelf (while the humidity is low), just did a LOT with DT. BLL works great too. For me, fast, easy, clean works.

35 shooter
01-04-2018, 03:24 AM
BLL or Ben's Red lube for me. I've always used traditional lubes and these two put the first shots to the last in the group...no flyers...no leading...no surprises year round for me.
Speeds up to 2600 fps. in my 35 whelen(best accuracy from 2200 to 2500 fps) and so far, 2450 fps. in my .308....still working with that one.

Groups run 1.5" or less @ 100 yds. with unweighed boolits and 1" and less with weighed boolits.

Nothing against pc, i've just always used grease or tumble lube and don't have any reason to change.
I do have a lyman 35 cal. rifle mould that casts undersize...i may try shake and bake with that one day.

marek313
01-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Yes and no.

I sometimes lube and for the rest i use Hi-Tek wich is actually formulated as a bullet lubricant not an industrial surface coating like PC.

I'm sorry and let me just say that I'm not trying to be mean. I keep seeing these statements how Hi-Tek was specifically formulated as bullet lubricant. How much better it is against PC etc. Personally I never used as I exclusively PC everything but I can get PC for fraction that Hi-tek costs which I believe is $40/15oz container. None of my guns lead and barrels are clean. I'm sure your getting the same results with Hi-Tek otherwise people wouldnt use it I just have a problem of people claiming its better. There is a difference between performance and marketing and I dont see any advantage to Hi-Tek over PC. If they both work why would I pay more?
For all you Hi-Tek users I have couple left handed hammers that were specifically designed for left handed people. They cost little more but perform so much better, trust me :violin:

Remember smile its Friday :bigsmyl2:

Digger
01-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Ben's Liquid Lube on everything!
10-4 on that ....

Mjdd23
01-15-2018, 04:06 AM
Just started casting last year and I have been tumble lubing and powder coating my boolits. I enjoy both methods. The powder coating gives me the opportunity to increase the diameter of my boolits which depending on the mold I may need. Further testing will be done this year.

Rcmaveric
01-15-2018, 04:11 AM
I do both. Still "spearmintin" with PC. Until I get the kinks out I mostly lube. Both are pretty easy. My goal was PC for high volume shooting but lubing has been quicker actually.

Grmps
01-15-2018, 06:49 AM
PC, HiTek, Lube have a couple similarities.
1) they form a barrier/lubricant between the barrel and boolit to prevent leading
2) Like all products/applications, you use quality materials in the proper fashion and you get good results.

PC and HiTek have a much cleaner end result, they won't gum up your dies, they don't dry out, crack and fall out of the lube grooves and they cover the lead with a pollymer coating protecting you from extended contact with lead.
PC and HiTek also have a broad spectrum of colors to choose from, you can use different colors to help easily differentiate between different powder charges , powders or ?
HiTek has been used commercially for over 20 years, there must be a good reason for that. It's the easiest to use in hi-volume production. the commercial casters can applty HiTek to 30 + pounds of boolits in 10 -15 seconds, dump on large drying/baking screens, place on large rolling racks dry and bake over 300 pounds of boolits at a time. Pass the rub and smash test bween each coat & your good to go. After you have the system down, the test are basically a formality.Normally 2 coats are applied for a nicer color and verry consistent results. I have never seen boolits PC'd commercially.
PC requires much less equipment that HiTek, with the right powders and process it's easy to quickly get good results.
this is the most efficient way I've found to do volume with PC
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?341128-%26%23128020%3B-Mesh-trays-led-me-to-change-PC-method
Quality PC generally only requires 1 coat to get a great finish in both looks and quality.

rosewood
01-15-2018, 08:02 AM
I alox 45-45-10 the gas checked boolits and I powder coat the plain base boolits. Has worked quite well for me.

Rosewood

WFO2
01-15-2018, 11:47 PM
I do both . When developing loads and sizes ( .429 , 0r .430 , .431 Etc. ) or ( .452 , .453 Etc ) I will lube and size with some good lube . Once I get the load where I want it with no leading . I then powder coat a few and verify that they are accurate and still not leading. Then I will cast a big batch and Powder Coat and put up for stash .I also always size after I coat .

Super Sneaky Steve
01-17-2018, 11:30 PM
I've done a lot of both, but I'm moving back to lube.

If you PC and just throw all your boolits in the oven, they will stick together and leave bare spots when you pull them apart. Even if they don't touch it will be uneven where they touch the aluminum foil. The only way I can get even coating is to stand them all on end, which takes a lot of time with pliers and become more difficult the thinner and taller the boolit is. I still PC my pure lead hollow points to prevent oxidation and to have some small form of weight retention.

In my .308 Win rifle I would get much better accuracy with lube over PC. Pistol is too close to matter, but I think investing in a Star lube/sizer would give me better speed of production and better accuracy.

Victor N TN
01-18-2018, 09:07 PM
I've been lubing for 40 yrs, and I'm not changing my ways now. I like the looks of a properly filled out lead bullet, sized and lubed. I don't like the looks of a painted bullet.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I have a small fortune in equipment. I'll just stay with what I have.

John Guedry
01-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Lube here.

10gaOkie
01-20-2018, 05:15 PM
45/45/10 tumble lube. Love it! I even have my recent Accurate molds made up in tumble lube design./Chris

Skunk1
02-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Both. Have always lubed. But wanted to try the PC to give my kids a little excitement.

white eagle
02-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Poll: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits

yes

prs
02-14-2018, 11:32 AM
I marked "other" because some I lube with liquid tumble, some I lube size, some I patch, some I powder coat. Non discriminating shooter here.

prs

trixter
02-14-2018, 01:18 PM
I have bottles of Lee Liquid Alox, they work just fine. I also have a Magma/Star Lube-Sizer (WITH A LOT OF DUST ON IT), and Harbor Freight Red and Eastwood Ford light blue, and I prefer the Eastwood blue more than anything else. It is so easy and darn near goof-proof. I know, opinions are like noses.......... I cast 225, 357 for my .380 and 9mm and .45ACP, and some 155 RFN for 300 Savage and 30-06. and now they all slide down my barrels with no left-overs. SSAAWWEEEETT!

Reverend Al
02-14-2018, 02:56 PM
These days it's a combination of both ... conventional lube and size with or without gas checks and PC'ing by the tumble coating method. I had a very large quantity (10,000 ish?) .45 ACP 200 SWC boolits with a bevel base and got sick of conventional lube /sizing them since the lube would squirt into the bevel base and made a heck of a mess. I decided to PC them all instead and then size them dry. It was the bullet that tipped me "over the edge" and make me decide to try powder coating.

https://i.imgur.com/zJBm1hC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/deSPVbD.jpg

Reverend Al
02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
(And that is just what remains in the top box of 2 boxes full of those .45 200 grain SWC's ... I still have many, many more to do ...)

Rick Hodges
02-15-2018, 05:14 PM
I do both. MOre and more powder coating.

gwpercle
02-15-2018, 05:40 PM
I would change but my Lyman 450 was paid for in 1972 and powder coating doesn't seem to be any quicker , easier , faster or cheaper than lube/size . I have never had any leading problems and the Lithium beeswax lube I use doesn't smoke ...or smoke enough for me to notice.
Pull handle down, tweak lube pressure wrench, pull handle up...TA-DAH boolit is sized, lubed, gas check crimped on, done ...ready to launch ! It doesn't get any faster or easier. I sort of enjoy sitting at my bench , being alone, no phone , wife, kids, me just doing my thing with my cast boolits... quite time therapy ...it's nice .
For me...there is nothing gained by it.
Colored boolits is not something I need or want.
Gary

Mxrick55555
02-16-2018, 02:21 PM
I powder coat time consuming but worth it.

Texas by God
02-16-2018, 03:18 PM
LLA and Lee sizer for the rifles. Simple work for a simple guy. Just the LLA for the handguns. I've tried PC boolits that I bought and traded for and in my view they hold no advantage and the smell offends me. That's saying something for a farm boy.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OldBearHair
02-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Used a lot of Alox and my own mixture. Cookie cutter. Bought Hi-Tek Gold small jar for $8.00 plus. I make up a measured amount of the Gold, but add a little extra Acetone. Put 400 Lee 308 170 LFN in a bucket, add enough of the mix to make the bottom of the bucket wet and shake the bullets round and round until the Acetone is evaporated, pour out into stainless steel fine screen trays. Shake the trays until all the bullets are lying flat. Let dry and bake. Minimal sticking. If there are some stuck together, they come apart easily with no damage. Best thing I learned on this site was about bullet size/barrel size. Cured more leading problems when bullet size is right. Sure feels good when looking down the shining barrel of my Marlin 336C with only a few grains of residue. Little SCCY 9MM likes the Hi-tek Gold. I might even try pressure lubing with BLL when the chance to get one comes along.

fatelk
02-17-2018, 01:52 PM
I was leery of powder coating for a long time. I had several lube sizers, lots of size dies and top punches, good lubes. I'm not young anymore, I'm pretty traditional, and I thought I had this boolit thing figured out fairly well. If it isn't broke...

I finally did try powder coating, got it figured out to where they come out pretty nice. After a time I realized that I really liked the slick, smooth, non-sticky bullets, a lot. I got rid of most of my lube-sizers. I've been holding the best one back just in case but eventually it's going to go down the road too since I just don't use it anymore. It's obsolete for my purposes, as much as I hate to say it.

OldBearHair
03-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Maybe an explanation of the percentages discrepancy could be if a scanner/counter was used that picked up on the needed words then run all the information through. Sample scan, " Lube! no, I never used Lube, Lubrisizer! I never owned a Lubrisizer. besides Lube stinks, Lube gets all over everything including dies. I PC everything". Ok the the scanner sees six votes for Lube One vote for PC! LOL Better than having to read and count all all the #175 posts. Nawww we gotta givem more credit than that.

Grmps
03-21-2018, 02:36 PM
PC & HiTek Have a lube-sizer and alox but didn't like the mess
https://i.imgur.com/wzDIrYE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v00UWvo.jpg

Panman213
03-21-2018, 11:56 PM
I do both, and find myself doing PC more and more. Im not a big fan of the smoke from LLA.

Bazoo
03-27-2018, 12:18 PM
I lube, pan lube, lubesizer, or tumble lube. Keeping the tradition alive.

gwpercle
03-30-2018, 07:14 PM
From all the talk I thought me and Bazoo were the only two who still lubed our boolits, the poll says most do not powder coat...that's surprising!
I just don't care to change now that I got the old lube-sizer and lubricant recipe perfected.
Just because somebody has a new way to skin a cat that don't make it better.
Them High Tech Coating fumes might cause cancer or stupidity or something catastrophic !
Gary

MDC
03-30-2018, 11:23 PM
I guess I'm conflicted. I don't really care for the bright colored powder. I think a traditional lubed boolit looks right. I started casting because I needed cheap bullets to fireform 7-30 Waters. You couldn't imagine the piles of dollars I have saved.
I have mostly cast for pistols (32 S&W Long, 32 H&R, 45acp and 41mag) but have recently been playing with 30-30 and 30 carbine. I don't think I could bear seeing a neon colored boolit in a 30-30 but have decided to PC the 30 carbine to keep the gas system clean. I was playing with a copper color and eventually threw some black power in the mix and it turns out looking like dirty grease. Tolerable to my eyes.

retread
03-30-2018, 11:52 PM
Both (not a poll option).

OldBearHair
03-31-2018, 02:42 PM
Breathing the fumes. Not a good idea. Reason that I do all my fuming stuff outdoors in a breeze. Using Hi-tek coatings , gold in particular sort of look like boolits lubed with Alox. Time to watch for fumes is when you are shaking the bucket with fast evaporating Acetone and then when the boolits are in the oven. Just stay upwind. What I really like is after shooting a hundred rounds or so, check the barrel and it looks as it did after cleaning.

avogunner
04-08-2018, 06:19 AM
I see the advantages to powder coating; but after 40 years of sizing and lubing boolits, I'm pretty happy with the procedure and I've enjoyed stellar results from the beginning. I'll stay with what I know, but I appreciate other technologies as well.

Although not quite 40 years for me (only 33), these are my sentiments exactly.
Semper Fi.

Catpop
05-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Lube for me!
and I’m sold on Bens Lube
and also beginIng to use BLL

Love Life
05-17-2018, 11:18 AM
I didn’t see enough benefit to stay with HI-TEK and PC. Went back to lube with a Star sizer. One pass and done.

bruce drake
05-28-2018, 02:34 PM
I've actually have been considering downsizing a couple of my Lyman 45 lubesizers lately because of the increased use of PC coatings in my shooting. At this time, about the only cartridge where I'd need a old fashion lube is my pyrodex-loaded 50-70Govt cases.

dragon813gt
05-28-2018, 11:43 PM
Never saw a need to try any of the coatings. You have to include all time which includes curing. A Star is still the fastest by far. Second is tumble lube if you don’t have to size. If you use BLL the dry time is pretty much nonexistent.

One thing people don’t mention very often. If power goes out, conventional lube is still an option. Can’t say that for the coatings. Not something I see happening but people here like to plan for the worse. Coatings won’t be an option in this scenario.

I won’t lie. I’m heavily invested in lube sizers. I own a couple Stars as well.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4411/35792691124_95c81e5c0b_b.jpg

Love Life
05-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Your bench top is to clean.

dragon813gt
05-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Your bench top is to clean.

I hear that every time I post pics of it. It’s always like that. I “may have” given it a wipe down w/ Ballistol before I took the pic. I just realized that was a before pic. I need to take a new one since all four are refurbished now.

Love Life
05-31-2018, 02:15 PM
I hear that every time I post pics of it. It’s always like that. I “may have” given it a wipe down w/ Ballistol before I took the pic. I just realized that was a before pic. I need to take a new one since all four are refurbished now.

You need to throw some clutter on there...and then sell me the Franken-cz.

Tazza
05-31-2018, 05:05 PM
This is why i can't show pictures of my workshop, it is so very messy. I can't even say it's organized chaos, as there are times i can't find a bloody thing in there :(

Mal Paso
05-31-2018, 05:56 PM
Most all my shooting is 44 Mag Revolver, 250g boolit over 20g of 2400 and a version of Glen F's lube. The 30.000 psi puts a vert fine coating of lube on the outside of the brass so sizing/decapping is smooth and easy. My brass rarely hits the ground so no chance of dirt in the sizer. Powder coating would ruin my case lube system. LOL

I prefer the look of lubed boolits to PC. Lube works fine and costs $12/lb, or 8,000 boolits.

JBinMN
05-31-2018, 09:52 PM
This is why i can't show pictures of my workshop, it is so very messy. I can't even say it's organized chaos, as there are times i can't find a bloody thing in there :(

Yup... Same here...
;)
:drinks:

Thin Man
06-02-2018, 05:43 AM
I started casting 45 years ago and have only used lube in all that time. That said, lately I have been looking closely at the PC process and working to decide if it will give me anything more than I already have. I keep one sizer loaded with a soft lube, another with a harder rifle blend, and a third in reserve "just in case" as the saying goes. With all of the glory stories and bragging about PC I had to look at it, but for now I am still only looking but not yet touching that process.

KenT7021
06-03-2018, 04:31 PM
I have been casting and lubing since the mid 50's and currently have five lube sizers.I'm satisfied with my results so will never try powder coating.

Mal Paso
06-03-2018, 04:36 PM
I'm waiting for easy Pinstriping and Flames on Powder Coated Boolits.

OS OK
06-04-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm waiting for easy Pinstriping and Flames on Powder Coated Boolits.

We used to have a fella here in Cali, over in the Sierras east of you that did all kinds of neet effects... >

https://i.imgur.com/XTe6KaH.jpg

But one of his last posts wasn't received very well and he just never came back. Sad loss of an enthusiastic artisan.

Jtarm
07-23-2018, 10:52 PM

Ditto.

cwlongshot
07-25-2018, 07:08 AM
I choose "OTHER" as I do both. Lately mostly I PC. But its still pretty new to me. I see many advantages, but its not IMHO its not universally better for me.

CW

GregLaROCHE
07-25-2018, 07:46 AM
I powder coat for my 45-70 with no gas checks and tumble my 6.5mm x 55 in liquid Alox and gas check. That's why I checked "other".

kevin c
07-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Certainly of course there are some new casters who only powder coat and don't know the older ways, but I bet that's a small minority. This pretty much describes me, except I HiTek.

I started reloading for action pistol with commercially bought j words. I'd tried commercial cast with regular lube, but didn't care for the stickiness, the gummed up dies and the smoke. I ended up using commercial coated bullets that I found had satisfactory accuracy, very little smoke, and the additional advantage of lower cost compared to jacketed. Casting my own, I went straight to HiTek as the comparable coating but applied at home. I did try tumble lubing with BLL, but never got the technique down.

David2011
07-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Another “other” here. Some get lube and some get PC. An additional benefit of PC is that they size much easier than when I use lube. I like that everything stays much cleaner when I PC, too. My fingers, the dies, the guns- everything involved stays cleaner and I don’t have to clean the ammo after it’s loaded.

A few years back I opened a thread asking about lower smoke. Got lots of “could care less about the smoke as long as it doesn’t lead” answers. Some folks just didn’t understand the concept of firing 4 or 5 shots in one second. On a light wind day facing the sun the targets can be obscured. PC fixes that, too.

08-08-2018, 10:33 PM
I'd consider powder coat if someone could demonstrate a quality powder coated finish that is as quick and easy as tumble lubing Recluse 45-45-10. I am a tumble luber.

Castinator
08-18-2018, 03:05 PM
I lubed and sized since back in the 90's. I tried powder coating recently, because it's supposed "cleaner." That might be true once it's in the gun, but nobody seems to talk about what an absolute pig mess the powder itself can be in your kitchen or outside on a windy day. :dung_hits_fan:

Plus, it's way more time work to powder coat (if you use a luber/sizer, it's all done in one stroke). I do want to PC when I start casting for the Desert Eagle, since that has some important port fouling issues (although I think shooting pure linotype through it will solve that).

Truth is, even with my brief experiments with powder coating, I still use lube (since they still have to go through the sizer), and sometimes even gas checks. :-D

One problem I've had is the top punch of the sizer deforming the powder coat at the top of the bullet. :( Might experiment with a flat-top punch.

L Erie Caster
08-19-2018, 05:51 PM
I lube my boolits, I think powder coating is interesting, but I have not gotten around to it. “YET”

Eddie1971
01-20-2019, 07:06 PM
I do powder coating. Down side is it's time consuming. Up sides are its cleaner and with a check you can push rifle bullets faster. Another plus is with pistol rounds I treat them like jacketed. Being a Mil Surp shooter this has been a godsend since J word bullets are so expensive now.

MrHarmless
01-20-2019, 07:30 PM
I powder coat exclusively. If you're careful with the powder, it's less messy to work with, and I don't have to worry about wax/lube or gas checks.

Yooper003
01-22-2019, 10:14 PM
I really enjoy powder coating, it adds another dimension to the whole casting, reloading thing.somthing I have not seen mentioned is the ability to color code your boolits.handy to know in a glance which boolit you are using or shooting.

Arkansas Paul
01-22-2019, 10:20 PM
I pan lube magnum stuff and tumble lube low velocity stuff like .38 spcl.

If I ever get around to getting a lever gun in .44 mag or .45 Colt, I'll probably start powder coating.

Beeks
02-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Lube.

flyingmonkey35
02-05-2019, 12:06 AM
As a one of few super early adopters of powder coating. I PC 98 % of all my pistol rounds.

I am fortunate to live in a very dry climate so shake and bake. Works for me.

I do not stand my bullets up anymore I just shake them all up. Dump the lot gently in a colander to sift out excess powder. Dump I a big pile in a basket and bake.

The throw the whole thing in a bucket of water. Size and load and shoot

I can coat 250 + rounds per basket really fast.

The 2% 45 long colt is Lee liquid. Over black powder
And 357 mag are factory rounds.

Shoot and stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hossfly
02-05-2019, 12:17 AM
I started out powder coating 9mm, never lubed any, have shot lubed purchased commercial,but since casting have always powered coated. Also .224 with gas checks.

Chainsaw.
02-05-2019, 12:57 AM
I do 99% power coat, have dinked with lube just to experiment, what a pain. Messy sticky pain! I mostly did itto get the look of bare lead, now I just use lead colored powder coat!

brass410
02-06-2019, 06:51 PM
I do both cause sometimes I just feel like doing the same job a different way

Traffer
02-06-2019, 07:06 PM
I got very near an infraction for suggesting that lubing was going to become obsolete because of PC.

rcslotcar
02-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Voted other, as I do both.

rrob692326
02-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Powdercoat with a gun and the right equipment bullets come out smooth and looking like plastic.

Black Jaque Janaviac
02-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Powder coat. I haven't actually counted the minutes but I'd have to say that powder coating has got to be about as easy as tumble lubing. Yes to powder coat I have to put on a vinyl glove before handling bare bullets, I have to preheat the bullets a tad before tumbling, and I have to filter the air soft BBs after coating bullets. These things only add a couple minutes of effort to the process. But the hidden effort of using Lee Liquid Alox is in vigilantly measuring OAL of cartridges because the lube gunks up the dies and starts to throw off the seating depth, then cleaning the dies regularly, and wiping off pocket lint and sand from a cartridge before chambering it, and washing your filthy hands after reloading a batch (I still wash my hands after reloading, but it doesn't take as long).

My sense is that the effort expended is a wash compared with tumble lubing (again assuming Lee Liquid Alox), but that you get a cleaner process.

ghh3rd
02-09-2019, 01:38 AM
Powder coating my 38, 357, 40 & 45 ACP, and using Felix lube on my 44 mag and 45-70 boolits that I shoot for accuracy.

Eddie1971
02-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Powder coating using the shake and bake method is made easier with more expensive powders. I found that Harbor Freight powder was finicky with containers and temperatures, whereas Eastwood powders, while a few bucks more, goes on perfect all the time for me regardless.

Chainsaw.
03-06-2019, 09:51 AM
I lubed and sized since back in the 90's. I tried powder coating recently, because it's supposed "cleaner." That might be true once it's in the gun, but nobody seems to talk about what an absolute pig mess the powder itself can be in your kitchen or outside on a windy day. :dung_hits_fan:

What in the world is your procedure? Shouldn’t be messy at all. You spraying or shake n bake?

Burnt Fingers
03-07-2019, 01:18 PM
I've used nothing but PC or Hi-Tek in the past few years. Maybe if I had been able to score a bottle of Johnson's wax I might have tried that. My results with PC and Hi-Tek have been outstanding.

gwpercle
03-07-2019, 04:42 PM
I don't understand the poll... The numbers don't seem to add up.

Voters : 544

Lubers - 329
PCers - 234
Others - 47

If you add 329 + 234 + 47 = 610 why doesn't this add up to 544

Look at the percentages .....60.48 + 43.01 + 8.76 that = 112.13% !

In 1967 I was taught that
1.)you couldn't have more than 100% of anything
2.) If 544 people took the poll the number of voters can't be 610 .

Is this the "new math" or the new way votes are counted like in political elections.
My old teachers would be amazed to see 2 + 2 no longer = 4...
Call me numbers confused also...but it doesn't add up !

Camper64
03-07-2019, 04:45 PM
It's a multiple choice poll.

Boxes usually indicate multiple choice where as circles usually indicate single choice.

gwpercle
03-08-2019, 08:24 PM
It's a multiple choice poll.

Boxes usually indicate multiple choice where as circles usually indicate single choice.

I was taught to vote once...next time I'll vote for all three.

This is why polls don't mean doodly squat the numbers don't add up! Polls lie.

unique
03-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Change Other to Both and then start over again.

curioushooter
03-09-2019, 11:29 AM
I've lubed and paper patched. Every time I look into PC I am left wondering why anybody does it. Ruins an oven. Become dependant on particular coatings which can change (I keep bees so I always have wax). And there is sizing. Not every mold throws bullets right sized for every gun. My Lube-a-matic sizes and lubes at one pass. If I am going to handle bullets one at a time, which sizing requires, might was well as get it lubed, too. I spent years struggling with Lee tumble lube designs, not sizing, and pan lubing because I didn't want to spend $ on a lubrisizer or lubamatic...the answer is swappin' n' sellin' or ebay.

gwpercle
03-09-2019, 07:20 PM
I've lubed and paper patched. Every time I look into PC I am left wondering why anybody does it. Ruins and oven. Become dependant on particular coatings which can change (I keep bees so I always have wax). And there is sizing. Not every mold throws bullets right sized for every gun. My Lube-a-matic sizes and lubes at one pass. If I am going to handle bullets one at a time, which sizing requires, might was well as get it lubed, too. I spent years struggling with Lee tumble lube designs, not sizing, and pan lubing because I didn't want to spend $ on a lubrisizer or lubamatic...the answer is swappin' n' sellin' or ebay.

I'm in total agreement with you.
My Lyman 450 was paid for in 1973 and one cycle of the handle pops out a sized , lubricated and gas check seated boolit just as pretty as you please .
Sure beats the sizing , powder coating , baking and sizing again song and dance.
Beeswax and Lithium grease , 3 to 1 ratio , always available .
Gary
Gary

Burnt Fingers
03-10-2019, 01:00 PM
I'm in total agreement with you.
My Lyman 450 was paid for in 1973 and one cycle of the handle pops out a sized , lubricated and gas check seated boolit just as pretty as you please .
Sure beats the sizing , powder coating , baking and sizing again song and dance.
Beeswax and Lithium grease , 3 to 1 ratio , always available .
Gary
Gary

I don't size before I PC. Coat, bake, size. That's all it takes.

curioushooter
03-10-2019, 01:40 PM
I don't size before I PC. Coat, bake, size. That's all it takes.

Still three steps instead of one.

I take a raw casting, place it in my Lube-a-Matic II, pull the handle, twist the screw (sometimes), and out comes a sized, lubed, and checked (if such a design) bullet.

If PC is anything like TL (tumble-lubing) it needs to re-done after sizing. If anything PC is worse because the layer is much thicker.

Another thing that I don't like about PC is that it anneals the bullet. After getting your alloy at the correct hardness now you are going to soften it in an oven?

Also, what about gas checks?

gareth96
03-10-2019, 01:51 PM
As of today... I powder coat

David2011
03-10-2019, 10:59 PM

I take a raw casting, place it in my Lube-a-Matic II, pull the handle, twist the screw (sometimes), and out comes a sized, lubed, and checked (if such a design) bullet.

If PC is anything like TL (tumble-lubing) it needs to re-done after sizing. If anything PC is worse because the layer is much thicker.

Another thing that I don't like about PC is that it anneals the bullet. After getting your alloy at the correct hardness now you are going to soften it in an oven?

PC is not like tumble lubing. The boolits should NOT be sized prior to PC. Some may disagree but when you size the boolit you polish the part where you most want the PC to stick. Unsized they have better tooth to hold the PC.

I do both but for competition loads in my opinion for my needs, PC is better hands down. Particularly in autoloaders, the action stays cleaner and there is no more smoke than from jacketed bullet loads. Neither of those is very important in hunting or slow fire situations where no more than 100-200 rounds is fired in a session but in high rates of fire with prizes at stake I have had the smoke block sight of the targets. At a high round count match it is also a real benefit to not have to clean the gun at lunch just to keep it running.

white eagle
03-10-2019, 11:11 PM

you should try it before you condemn it
sounds like its a chore to get out of bed

MaLar
03-10-2019, 11:19 PM
I voted other because BP loads get grease the rest gets mostly P.C.
Got me thinking of selling one of my RCBS Lube-A-Matic's

bstone5
03-11-2019, 01:43 AM
I cast thousands of bullets with an automated Master Caster. I powder coat the cast bullets with a spray gun and cook in a commercial convection oven. Made an air cylinder press to size the cast bullets after powder coating. With the volume of cast bullets powder coating for me was he way to go so as to prepare several thousand cast bullets at a time.

WardT
03-11-2019, 08:58 AM
So far only PC

Lloyd Smale
03-12-2019, 08:13 AM
maybe its being counted in florida!!
I don't understand the poll... The numbers don't seem to add up.

Voters : 544

Lubers - 329
PCers - 234
Others - 47

If you add 329 + 234 + 47 = 610 why doesn't this add up to 544

Look at the percentages .....60.48 + 43.01 + 8.76 that = 112.13% !

In 1967 I was taught that
1.)you couldn't have more than 100% of anything
2.) If 544 people took the poll the number of voters can't be 610 .

Is this the "new math" or the new way votes are counted like in political elections.
My old teachers would be amazed to see 2 + 2 no longer = 4...
Call me numbers confused also...but it doesn't add up !

curioushooter
03-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Clearly some folks do more than one.

curioushooter
03-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Still waiting for a cogent reason why PC is better than lubing. I have one: bullets can be different colors to distinguish loads. Could be quite useful at silouette...still haven't seen at any the range yet.

Still wondering what is to be done with gas checks?

How/when is sizing done?

How is PC any any faster if you size one at a time?

It has been claimed that pc smoke less than lubed. I ask...what lube? Felix lube makes no noticeable smoke beyond the powder smoke. I'd expect the same from any beeswax-base lube...beeswax is used in church candles because it is so clean burning. Paint on the other hand makes nasty smoke when it burns...and it will, since it gets on the base.

megasupermagnum
03-13-2019, 10:47 PM
Still waiting for a cogent reason why PC is better than lubing. I have one: bullets can be different colors to distinguish loads. Could be quite useful at silouette...still haven't seen at any the range yet.

Still wondering what is to be done with gas checks?

How/when is sizing done?

How is PC any any faster if you size one at a time?

It has been claimed that pc smoke less than lubed. I ask...what lube? Felix lube makes no noticeable smoke beyond the powder smoke. I'd expect the same from any beeswax-base lube...beeswax is used in church candles because it is so clean burning. Paint on the other hand makes nasty smoke when it burns...and it will, since it gets on the base.

I doubt you'll ever get a clear answer. The guys that paint PC or HT or whatever they have now, will always like it. I tried powder coat, both my own and commercial bullets, and I don't see it. Accuracy 0% difference. Cleanliness, nothing noticeable, maybe long term less lube in the die? I load thousands of lubed bullets before any lube builds up in the seating plug, usually one unlucky one with lube on the tip. It's a 15 second fix. Smoke, could not care even a little bit. Nothing even comes close to blackpowder, which I like. It is supposed to basically be a jacket. I see lots of guys having leading problems, which clearly shows there is a large learning curve, like anything. Nobody ever talks about the smell either. PC smells like fresh tar. A good lube smells fantastic.

The rifle guys are finding zero difference in accuracy, and the top competitors still use lubed bullets.

PC doesn't get you any more velocity, accuracy, nothing. All for a system that is entirety dependent on a paint dealer, and electricity. It is a lot of work too. Lots and lots of twirling a cup, setting bullets on a pan, carefully watching temps. It's maybe a half step better than pan lubing. What is really off-putting is once you start painting bullets, suddenly you have to show how pretty your bullets are, and you have to tell everyone how much better it is, especially when nobody asked. "you won't have leading with powder coat" they say. Yet the whole forum is full of people trying to figure out why their powder coat is flaking off and causing leading in their barrel.

Anyway, off my soap box now.

joe leadslinger
03-17-2019, 01:45 PM
I PC because for me it is cleaner. No sticky lube, drop a lubed bullet on the floor and try to get the dust bunnies off. It's simple cast, powder coat, size add gas check if needed when sizing done. I run my sizing press upside down,feeding the bullets nose first is much faster. The powder coating doesn't burn on the base of the bullet when fired. I say if you like lubing go for it, if you like powder coating go for it.

white eagle
03-20-2019, 10:11 AM
after sizing and lubing then running through my loading dies
I hate the gooey mess that traditional lube leaves behind
don't need to worry about that with pc
making my own boolits I don't care how long it takes
accuracy and doing it for myself always trumps how many
steps it takes or how long it takes to get to the end result
besides who doesn't like all the color you can get in your basket of boolits
deplorably speaking that is

davek8s
03-20-2019, 03:34 PM
I’m new to casting and decided to go with PC right from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ioon44
04-08-2019, 07:52 AM
I have lubed bullets for 50 some years and tried PC and Hi-Tek, I found the Hi-Tek to faster, the learning curve depends on how well one follows the instructions.

AR-Bossman
04-08-2019, 10:34 PM
I pc'd from the start as well. Lube looks tedious and a giant mess.

skeet1
04-09-2019, 09:50 AM
I'm old school and and it is doubtful that I will be convinced to change my ways. I have used lubes that are a bit gooey and I didn't care for them very much even though they did work. Since I have started to use Carnuba Red most of the stickiness is gone and the performance is first rate. As far as being clean, all I do most of the time is run a patch through the bore and all is good. The price of the Carnuba Red is also a bargain. If you haven't tried it and are a lube person you should.

Ken

Conditor22
04-09-2019, 12:39 PM
I've never had powdercoat get affected by the weather, dry-crack and fall out of the lube grooves, create excess smoke and not be allowed at indoor ranges, leave a sticky mess on the bottom of the boolit, gum up my dies, get my fingers dirty (after coated).

I like to have different colors for different loads of applications [different 9MM's have different bore diameters (my P-38 and Llama are .358 bore) so I designate certain colors for certain guns]

Use red for hot loads.... I digress.

Big Boomer
04-09-2019, 08:11 PM
I'm 79 years old and started powder coating last year at age 78. Thought I'd start with 9mm and .45 ACP. Both worked well for me the first time around. Biggest thing for me is the absence of leading. Few weeks ago I went outside my basement door and fired a foreign-made 9mm 60 times with powder-coated boolits. Nice round group at 25 yards. Didn't even bother to work up a load. Just took the handbook's word for it and picked a nice, medium load with TiteGroup, one that operated the action every time, so I loaded up a bunch of them. After all that shooting, one brush down the barrel and it looked shiny. The same boolit and FWFL that pistol would eventually lead up every time. Same with the .45s, a Glock, a Ruger P90 and some 1911s. Boolits were all sized with Stars. While I'm not trying to convert anyone to powder coating, it works for me. Big Boomer

P. S. I might add that I still have a sizeable cardboard box of lube that I made up of FWFL and my own concoctions that worked well that I still have on hand if I ever have the desire to move in that direction again. Just do not feel like I will ever go in that direction again, having tried Smoke's clear.

Crowkiller
04-24-2019, 08:42 AM
I quit casting because I hated the whole lube and size process. Even tweaking the lubrisizer was a pain.
I tried Harbor Freight red. I liked the results but not the process.
Then after reading about Smoke's powder, I ordered some. It was a night and day difference. The powder seems to jump onto the boolets and stick.
Suddenly, I have 6 new 6 banger molds, I'm smelting my last two buckets of wheelweights, and shooting the heck out of my 44 and 45 after knocking the dust off my 550b.
Powder coating, specifically good powder coat powder, brought me back to casting.