PDA

View Full Version : Interesting result...

shoot-n-lead
10-05-2016, 12:41 AM
Decided that I would rig up a way to water test a NOE 180gr WFN cast from COWW, today. Not that I really put any credence in the type of test, but just as a comparison to some other such tests performed by others. I shot this bullet from about 6ft...had to be close enough to be accurate, the way I had it set up. I have chrono'd this load and it averages 1800fps out of the Rossi 16", that I used. It expanded 42% with 30" of penetration.

Honestly, I did not expect this much expansion...I really expected it to fragment.

Mk42gunner
10-05-2016, 12:54 AM
Well, from the targets point of view, that looks kind of like a flying pancake. I think it would be very hard to recover one from a deer, unless you shot it end on.

Robert

shoot-n-lead
10-05-2016, 01:02 AM
Robert, I agree on the recovery...and I am not sure if it would expand in a deer...not sure how that would compare to water. This bullet did not have to penetrate anything thicker than 2 liter drink bottles laid end to end.

44man
10-05-2016, 07:55 AM
I don't think WW's are the same anymore. I think they dump all in one big batch.
My .475 made from old WW's penetrated 17, one gallon jugs and never stopped. We thought sure we could catch one. It blew the first 4 sky high, like a bomb and split no 5.
If I could 5 deer side by side I could end the season with one shot!