PDA

View Full Version : Fodder for a .375 H&H

Cap'n Morgan
06-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Gentlemen,

I've been lurking in this forum for well over a year and learned a lot of useful stuff. Back in pre-historic time I did quite a lot of casting for handguns, but slowly I drifted to the dark side and began to shoot rifle, using jacketed bullets only. Then a few years ago, almost by accident, I rediscovered the fun of casting when I took up shooting my old Martini Henry 577/450 again.

Recently I acquired a rifle in caliber .375 H&H - I did try to resist the urge, but the battle was lost before it began, and now I'm looking for some suggestions for feeding cast loads to the beast.

The loads I'm looking for will be for training/plinking - ie having fun without damaging any body parts. Accuracy take front seat to speed anytime. I live in Denmark and powder choices are somewhat limited, but we do have Alliant powders, as well as Norma and Vithavuori.

I was thinking of a bullet weight about 300 grain, but I'm not sure if I should go for a plain base design or take the extra hassle with gas checks (I'll be making the bullet mould myself, so a double cavity with one of each could be a solution)

...and now for the questions:

What do you estimate the speed limit for a PB bullet would be before accuracy goes south? Which alloy/hardness would you suggest? I have access to both WW and pure linotype - as well as a 250 lb block of tin based babbit metal, which I'm not quite sure how to attack...

What should the diameter and length of the shank be on a GC bullet if using, say, Hornady gas checks?

I realize some sort of filler will be necessary except for the fastest powder types. Dracon gets mentioned a lot, but won't ordinary cotton wool do just as well?

Any suggestions/hints or things to look out for when sizing and seating in .375 H&H?

Sorry for the many questions. I have tried searching the web, but only found sparse info on casting for the .375 H&H

Larry Gibson
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Cap'n Morgan

I answer some of your questions I have two Lyman moulds for my M70 .375. I actually just finished putting the strain gauge on the barrel to measure pressures as I'm working on some 350 gr Woodleigh bullet loads for a probable African trip next year. The two molds I have are 375248, a PB 250 gr mould, and the 375449, a 275 gr GC mould. Both cast excellent bullets and I size and lube at .377". Both bullets suit my needs for plinking and practice. I generally cast these two bullets with an alloy of WW and linotype (2/1) that is similar to Lyman's #2 with a BHN of 15-18.

The loads I'm looking for will be for training/plinking - ie having fun without damaging any body parts. Accuracy take front seat to speed anytime. I live in Denmark and powder choices are somewhat limited, but we do have Alliant powders, as well as Norma and Vithavuori.

I use Alliant Unique with the PB bullet at 1500 fps and with the GC bullet AA 5744 at 1850 fps and 4895 at 2200 fps.

...and now for the questions:

What do you estimate the speed limit for a PB bullet would be before accuracy goes south? Which alloy/hardness would you suggest? I have access to both WW and pure linotype - as well as a 250 lb block of tin based babbit metal, which I'm not quite sure how to attack...

With a flat base PB bullet accuracy will go sout at the high end of 1500 fps or into the 1600 fps. Depends on the alloy and burning rate of the powder. With the faster pistol powders like the Unique I'm using accuracy goes south around 1550 fps. Only way to know with your rifle, load and alloy is to test.

What should the diameter and length of the shank be on a GC bullet if using, say, Hornady gas checks?

Can't answer this one as I've no cast unloaded bullets right now...someone else?

I realize some sort of filler will be necessary except for the fastest powder types. Dracon gets mentioned a lot, but won't ordinary cotton wool do just as well?

I have tried cotten in the past and it may work ok but it catches on fire and that isn't good in the woods. Dacron has always worked the best for me and is non-flamable.

Any suggestions/hints or things to look out for when sizing and seating in .375 H&H?

I neck size and use an M die. I only slightly crimp the heavy 2200 fps load. No problems as the .375 is easy to load.

Sorry for the many questions. I have tried searching the web, but only found sparse info on casting for the .375 H&H

Not a problem, always willing to help.

One other load that is fun and good for small game like hares, grouse and ptarmigan is a .375 lead round ball lightly lubed with LLA over 4 gr of Bullseye. I'm sure there is a Norma equivelent powder but it is Alliant so you should be able to get it. The 4 gr gets me 890 fps with the 80 gr RB. It shoots into 1.5" at 50 yards. No recoil and little noise.

Larry Gibson

felix
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Cap'n, for full load (2400 fps) with 300 grainer GAS CHECKED, use your N150 at circa 70 grains. ... felix

pdawg_shooter
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
What do you estimate the speed limit for a PB bullet would be before accuracy goes south? Which alloy/hardness would you suggest? I have access to both WW and pure linotype - as well as a 250 lb block of tin based babbit metal, which I'm not quite sure how to attack... There is no speed limit if you wrap that bullet in a little scrap of paper!

beagle
06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Check out the articles section in Castpics for "Cast in the .375 H & H".

My favorite bullet is the Lyman 375296HP with 4895 and a Magnum primer./beagle

Cap'n Morgan
06-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the answers, I'm already much wiser.:-D

Larry, the two moulds you recommend look quite similar except for the gas check. Seems like Lyman "cheated" and used the same cherry for both moulds only going a bit deeper in the GC bullet making it a little heavier. Simple, but effective. I might just steal that idea.

Beagle, thanks for the pointer to castpict. Looks like a weight between 250-300 grain is the way to go. Are there any noticeable difference in the accuracy between hollow and non hollow points?

Nardoo
06-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Cap'n,
I use the RCBS 250 FN GC bullet that we use in our 375 Marlin. In the H&H 45 gns of H4895 gives me respectable plinking accuracy and about 1800 fps. Alloy is ww plus 2% Sn sized to .377". Lube is home made lanolin based.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p317/nardoo/100_0216.jpg

Nardoo