PDA

View Full Version : OT: L. C. Smith value?

Trailblazer
06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
The local gun store has a L. C. Smith sxs for sale for $599. I glanced at it briefly but didn't look at it closely because I had just paid for a Winchester 73 and figured that about killed the gun budget for the time being. Trouble is, I can't seem to forget about that shotgun. I have learned everything I know about L. C. Smith shotguns on the internet in the last 24 hours, so about all I know is that there are a bunch of variations spread over a lot of years.

The shotgun I looked at has to be later production. It is a 12 ga. and has a straight stock. The action is tight and there is a little wear on the edges of the bluing. The wood is very good. Bores are perfect. The only mar is there is some rust pitting on the tail of the right lock plate. Unfortunately that is about all I remember about it. My impression was that it is in very good shape. Used but not used hard and maybe not used a lot. The fit and finish are excellent.

I haven't found anything comparable on the auction sites to assess value. $599 seems like a low price on a good shotgun. It will cost me $10 in gas to drive back out to look at it. What do you L. C. Smith experts think? Is it worth driving back out to look at?

JIMinPHX
06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
The prices on LC Smiths are all over the place. I’ve seen comparable ones bought for $500 & sold for $4k on the same day & at the same gun show. There are guys that search them out & look for them specifically. They are good quality guns & they have a following.

Pick it up & feel the swing. If it feels good, I’d buy it for that price.

Trez Hensley
06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
A $600 LC Smith in good shape..... It does seem like it would be hard to make a mistake buying it. They are fine guns. I agree with Jim, if it fits and you can afford it, buy it.

nitroproof
06-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Smiths aka Elsie prices vary by region. Most anywhere a decent field grade shooter will bring at least $500. A straight grip should warrent a small premium, even more if it's an ejector gun.
All Elsie are tight, they won't shoot loose unless something is wrong.

Look for the following:

1. Matching serial numbers, barrels, frame & forend.
2. Check barrel length, 28" or 30" are the norm. 26" original guns are rare.
and check the chokes if possile.
3. Check to see if top lever is on center or slightly to the right when closed (indication of wear).
4.) Look at the wood to metal fit around the lock plates (a straight stock may be a replacement (wouldn't stop me from buying of if replacement is well done.)
5. If all above, bring home and enjoy... :mrgreen:

Trailblazer
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I saw a couple at the gun show yesterday. One was a well used and well worn early gun with the metal going brown for $350. The other was in about the same overall condition as the one at the gun store. The price is $1000 on that one.

It looks like $599 is a good price. I like it but I guess I don't really need another shotgun. I guess I will give it some time. The gun is on consignment and maybe the owner will get hungry if it doesn't sell.