PDA

View Full Version : Need info and some insight - Winchester Model 94

grizzly
10-04-2016, 09:23 AM
I have suddenly had an infatuation with older tech guns. Yesterday I was at a pawn shop and found a Winchester model 94 Trapper. This is the older one without the cross block safety so I know it's pre 92. I didn't bother to take record of the serial as I didn't care to.

The rifle is selling between $315 and $350. Since it's used I think they offer a discount but I failed to ask. Nevertheless, if not it would be $350.

So...I know Winchester made a ton of these. I had one as a kid to hunt with. I'd like to have another, for nostalgia and I also know that Cabelas and Gunbroker are mighty proud of the new models as well as some used.

The barrel is bright and there is some small surface rust on the bottom of the front of the receiver. So is this a good buy or just average. I'm not seeing too many around here right now. But I know the price seems to me about normal.

ETA- The stock is in good shape. I'm suspecting it has been re-finished as the color of the walnut looks a little off - almost greenish, but no dings. The action looks clean and pristine also.

376Steyr
10-04-2016, 10:52 AM
"Always yield to temptation, you may not get a second chance."

Der Gebirgsjager
10-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Pre-cross bolt safety in the condition you describe, the price is fair. Too bad about the rust. I've seen greenish walnut that was original. I have one of these NIB, and if I was to put it on an auction I'd start at $450.

Texas by God
10-04-2016, 11:56 AM
That's a fair price around here. Make an offer- they may take it.

Dimner
10-04-2016, 12:22 PM
If I were standing at that counter I would buy it for $315 especially since it's a trapper model. You don't see those all the time. They are those type of versions of 94 that when you are in the market for a trapper you never can find one except at a premium. If it was a normal 94, $315 is still a fair price for a LGS. You might be able to find a non-trapper in better condition for a few bucks more or a non-trapper the same condition from a private seller, but you have to search for those deals.

Mk42gunner
10-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a good price these days. Since it is at a pawn shop I would make a low ball offer, many times they have next to nothing in the guns (or anything else in the store) they sell and are willing to deal.

Sadly, the days of the hundred dollar .30-30 are over.

Robert

grizzly
10-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Well I went back today to give a more thorough inspection. It appears it's not a Trapper but a Ranger instead. Granted there isn't a tremendous difference. I inquired on the best deal and was told $325 and tax. I noted the serial numbers and looked it up and found it was a 1984 mfg. date. The stock has definitely been re-finished. I can see light brush strokes in it if in the light just right.

None of the screws seem buggered so it's never been apart. After looking at these around most shops, that seems rare.

I've decided to walk on this for now. I know these rifles are around. Besides now I'm eyeballing a 1885 High Wall Uberti.

Drm50
10-05-2016, 01:10 AM
A 94 around my area is going for $350-400. Unless it is a pre 64. The Ranger brings about $100
less, in same conditions. I never pay much attention to post 64 Wins of any model, but I think
most of Ranger 94s had hardwood stocks, not walnut. The Trappers and any 44mg models bring
a little more.

shoot-n-lead
10-05-2016, 01:22 AM
That is a fair price.

I have a Trapper and the 20"...$350 would not buy either of them.

Texas by God
10-05-2016, 05:44 PM
I gave $275 for a NIB 30-30 Trapper. In 1982. Think about it. Best, Thomas.

starnbar
10-05-2016, 07:02 PM
I got a old trapper I bought back in the 80s the stock on it has a greenish tint when the sun hits it just right if its in decent shape like the fellas said you better buy it.