PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this?

mugsie
06-06-2008, 06:49 AM
I have a tube of Lyman Alox lube I recieved when I purchased my luberisizer. I also have a rather large pan of Felix Lube which I made. Can I mix the Alox with the Felix lube to get a hybrid or could I mix the alox with beeswax to come up with the NRA formula? Is the alox in the tube the same as the liquid stuff, but maybe with a hardener in it?

Lots of questions I know. Thanks for the advice.....

wiljen
06-06-2008, 07:05 AM
I have a tube of Lyman Alox lube I recieved when I purchased my luberisizer. I also have a rather large pan of Felix Lube which I made. Can I mix the Alox with the Felix lube to get a hybrid or could I mix the alox with beeswax to come up with the NRA formula? Is the alox in the tube the same as the liquid stuff, but maybe with a hardener in it?

Lots of questions I know. Thanks for the advice.....

Lyman Alox lube is NRA lube, it is already a mixture of Alox and beeswax. Javalina and some others are also reasonable approximations of NRA Lube.

The Alox in NRA Lube is Alox 350 while LLA is a solvent cut-down of Alox 606-55HF so No, they are not the same product and cannot be made into the same.

Could you mix your two lubes? Sure
Would it accomplish anything? Probably not.
NRA Lube is softer than felix in most cases so it might soften it up just a bit, but it probably wont add much to the lube. The other thing to know is that NRA Lube/Alox tends to smoke while felix lube does not (or not as much) so mixing the Alox into the felix will probably result in a sticky lube that smokes more.