PDA

View Full Version : has Remington gotten their act togther?

nagantguy
10-02-2016, 12:42 PM
the American rifleman magazine has over the last weeks issues really praised the new remingtons, the newest r51, the newest marlin lever a tiins, the newest shotgun and the new model 700s. they did address the quality and reliability and saftey issues, didn't seem like complete puff pieces, any out there have hands on some new remington firearms, how do they stack up to Remington of old and are they better than the junk.from the last few years?

jmort
10-02-2016, 12:46 PM
I believe they are decent/serviceable and worth consideration. But I don't trust any "magazine" reviews except I will say the American Rifleman does have some facts, good and bad, in their reviews. Not total puff pieces. Not a Remington guy, but I would buy any of their current production long-guns and possibly their handguns. To answer your question, my opinion is that that have addressed the quality control issues. Would love to see the .357 Marlins show back up and I would get one.

runfiverun
10-02-2016, 01:26 PM
they ain't Winchester.
they ain't even Ruger.
I'd rather have a rifle from Czechoslovakia.
I bought a rifle from Spain for 150 bucks more than their top end 700 and I'm glad I did.
I prefer that my lever guns are made in Brazil.
Remington spelled backwards is Hillary Clinton.

sukivel
10-02-2016, 01:31 PM
After that last 700 I bought from them I think I am done with them. I can't think of any firearm they make I cannot get elsewhere from another manufacturer.

376Steyr
10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
"...how do they stack up to Remington of old..."? Would that be the Remington of:
1950's: Shooters rechamber Winchester M-70 22 Hornets to .222 rather than be seen with a Remington 722.
1960's: The 600 with a plastic ventilated rib.
1970's: Top of the line M700's with stamped checkering and bowling pin finishes.
1950 to present: Rifle extractors that are apparently made of recycled paper clips.
Would this be the Remington of old you speak of?

I just bought a Remington R51 pistol for $380. It is a fine compact 9mm for the money. Quality is everything I would expect at that price. For better or worse, Remington has always cranked out consumer goods using the technology and manufacturing methods to reach consumers at a planned price point. Sometimes they are wildly successful (M700 in 7mm Mag) and sometimes they drop the ball.

bubba.50
10-02-2016, 01:49 PM
the thing ya hafta remember is The American Rifleman is like all other gun rags. they pimp for whoever's buyin' advertisements.

Butchman205
10-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Everyone is entitled to their political comments and viewpoints...but to answer the OP's question: I've got a Remington made Marlin 336c in 35 Rem. It's a good shooter with factory Remington 200 grain ammo...under an inch at 50 yards with iron sights. That's a good shooter to me. Wood looks great, and finish is nice.

-Butchman

Der Gebirgsjager
10-02-2016, 03:37 PM
They'll come back, I believe.

I want to tell you a story that's been much on my mind, but I seem to be right in the middle of a "senior moment" and can't recall the name of the disease this fellow had. Maybe it will come back to me in time for an edit. Anyway, this chap rides around all over town in a power wheelchair which he told me cost $28,000. He is basically a quadriplegic, wears an Aussie outback hat, usually complimented by at least one item of Real Tree camouflage, be it pants or shirt.

I've lived on the edge of this town of approx. 1,700 people for 11 years now, and I'll bet I've seen him in the downtown area on 80% of my trips driving down Main St. to the local Stop-N-Rob. I never had occasion to talk with him. Turns out that as a young man he was employed by the U.S.F.S. as a log grader, but came down with this disease and was retired. Now he lives alone, as his wife left him when he got sick, and there's a lady that comes in mornings and gets him up, dressed, fed, and in the chair. Another different one does the reverse at night. So, being alone, he roams around, perhaps in search of company and conversation. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, as are many who have suffered much.

I knew nothing about him, just saw him around, but three months ago he turned up at my front gate, phoned me on his cell phone to let me know that he was there, could I come out to chat about a gun problem. Turns out that he is a hunter and has a location down by the river where he can see a bit over 500 yards. He can move his right hand just enough to work the controls on his power chair, and has had a special detachable platform and cradle built for his rifle that bolts onto the chair, and is able to pull the trigger. He began by telling me that he wanted an accurate rifle that could shoot under 1" groups at 100 yards because he wants to ethically shoot the full 500 yards visible from his vantage point. He has a hunting buddy, also old and sick but not completely disabled, who helps him out with retrieval, etc. So he purchased a Remington 700 in .300 Win. Mag., but was disappointed in it's accuracy and free-floated the barrel. Of course they are purposely made with a pressure pad, a fact that he knew and freely admitted that he had removed. He wanted me to work on his rifle, but not being licensed any more I had to decline. I advised him to put a pressure pad back in and try again. He tried to reassure me that if I'd work on the rifle and something went wrong he wouldn't sue me, citing an accident last year when the power chair overturned and he broke both legs. His friends urged him to sue the chair manufacturer, "but I'm not that kind of a guy." Still had to decline the job.

About 3 weeks later he phones me again, says he's on his way to see me. I walked out to the gate, then out onto the road, and there he came in his chair, about 1/2 mile distant. The thing moves surprisingly fast, probably 8-10 mph, so I didn't have long to wait. This time he said that he had put the pad back in and test fired the rifle and three of his five groups (if I got it right) were 1", the others 1 1/2". Seemed happy, and I thought that was an end of it.

No--two weeks ago he again appeared at my front gate. He'd been shooting some Federal factory ammo in the rifle and had to pound the bolt open. Last round was still in the chamber. He said that he'd tried Hornady ammo and it worked fine. Meanwhile he'd purchased another Remington 700 in .308 Win. and had swapped the stocks around--both synthetic stocks. What should he do? Would I be willing to re-barrel the .300 Mag.? Nope, had to turn him down again, but made the logical suggestion that he contact Remington and see what they'd do for him. Just yesterday he phoned and said that Remington was going to send him a shipping container, and if they felt it necessary they would re-barrel the rifle. So, that was/is nice and I hope it turns out well, and kind of believe that it will. Of course there will be another chapter to the story, and when I know the conclusion I'll revisit this post--if that senior moment will pass and I remember to do so.

Oh! Muscular Dystrophy, is the cause of his condition. He says that it has run it's course.

10-8-16: This fellow telephoned today, said he got his rifle back from repair, problem diagnosed as a rough chamber.
They polished the chamber. He hasn't tried it out yet, and said that once again he has free floated the barrel. This is odd, because supposedly he had gotten acceptable results once he replaced the pressure pad. Not my problem, nor will it become so, just reporting that he did get action from Big Green.

gnostic
10-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Remington's act has always been together. I have a bunch of them and they'll all shoot under a MOA.

Idaho45guy
10-02-2016, 05:44 PM
the thing ya hafta remember is The American Rifleman is like all other gun rags. they pimp for whoever's buyin' advertisements.

Yep. I can't count the number of times I've read glowing reviews in their magazine of a firearm, then went online and found countless data points showing just how flawed that weapon was. Latest was the new Ruger American Pistol.

I have noticed that a few reviews lately actually had something negative to say in them, which is surprising since in the past, they never said anything bad about a firearm.

It was beyond sketchy to see a major write-up and glowing review of Mexican-made Aguilla Ammunition and then every month since, there is a advertising purchased by them in the magazine.

I guess that's just the way of the world nowadays; no morals, no integrity, profit above people no matter what...

johnson1942
10-02-2016, 06:17 PM
their 45 auto is the top seller around here. my son has one and it is reliable and very very accurate.

Kraschenbirn
10-02-2016, 06:28 PM
I do receive the Rifleman but rarely pay much attention to their gun tests/evaluations. Can't honestly recall the last time one of their reviewers made an actually negative comment about anything they've tested.

Incidently, my three favorite bolt guns are all early model (pre-1976) Remington 700 BDLs. Outside of the original urethane stock finishes...which are long-gone from my guns...I've never had anything to complain about. One the other hand, wouldn't swap any of them for TWO of their current production BDLs, either.

Bill

Big Boomer
10-02-2016, 06:33 PM
This is far removed from today's situation and circumstances, but back in the early 1980s I purchased a used Rem. 788 in .223 from a then-local gun shop in Ohio (live in Ky. now). Did not know at the time this rifle was made for only a few years and dropped from their line. It has the peculiar rear locking lugs instead of being up front where most locking lugs are. Only paid a couple hundred dollars for it but it has been one super rifle. Shoots lighter bullets very fast and quite well. Can't remember the rate of twist but it is right on for Nosler 52 gr. jhp match bullets (that are not supposed to be used for hunting but really put the hurt on groundhogs, coyotes, etc). Evidently it had not been shot very much or what it was shot didn't hurt it any. Still a tack driver. That is the extent of my experience with Remingtons ... but so far, so good. Don't know anything about current production but if I could find another Rem. 788 in anything, I would buy it. Big Boomer

bedbugbilly
10-02-2016, 06:46 PM
I take reviews done in gun rags with a grain of salt. What are they going to say . . . especially when the mfg. is guying advertising in the magazine at a high dollar price?

I haven'b purchased a Reington in many, many years. I remember the Remingtons of "old" which were always good firearms. I was all set to buy one of the Remington R51s when they announced the manufacture of them . . . and all the reviews I read "praised" it . . . but when actual manufacturing began it turned out to be a "lemon". Have they got it ironed out? I don't know, but it "soured" me on wanting one.

In the end, any gun mfg. can have problems and none are immune to it. I sincerely hope that Remington has started to turn things around. But, before I'd buy one (or for that matter, any other make) I want to hear from people who actually "own" one and their thoughts on them. IMHO, "reviews" are a dime a dozen and really don't hold much water. If I were thinking about a Remington - and I've considered several center-fire rifles that I've seen listed on the LGS web list - I would hope that I could find someone with some experience with it to get their thoughts.

Unfortunately . . . and it's all "business" which I fully understand . . . the "bean counters" often prevail no matter what company it is. I'm not knocking Remington at all . . . and I hope that they continue to improve and gain the reputation that they once had as we really need manufacturers in this country to succeed and survive.

it would really be nice to hear what some actual owners of Remingtons that have been produced in the last couple of years think about them. It's like anything else in life . . . a good reputation is quick to be lost but slow to be regained. Hopefully Remington is on the road back.

osteodoc08
10-02-2016, 07:00 PM
I've been disappointed with my 700 CDL I bought used that is about 10 years old from an accuracy standpoint.

Not a Remy but My 2015 manufacture 1895 GBL is a good one with good metal to wood fit and good accuracy. It really likes a warm load of RL 7 and 350-420 gr boolits.

Butchman205
10-02-2016, 08:17 PM
it would really be nice to hear what some actual owners of Remingtons that have been produced in the last couple of years think about them.

Like I said earlier...ive got a Remington made Marlin 336c in 35 Remington. It's a good shooter and looks great. Wood and metal fit & finish are not bad at all. It's a levergun that shoots under an inch at 50 yards with factory ammo and iron sights...which is fine by me.

I've owned several Remington 700's over the years, and two are my favorite "go to" rifles when I'm hunting and have to have the first shot count.

I've rotated through Ruger 77's, Browning semi and bolts, Sako's, custom bolt guns, etc...but the two Remington 700's are probably here for the long haul. Both are BDL's in calibers 25-06 and .300 Win mag. With those two calibers I can hunt pretty much any situation here in the southeast US that require a center fire rifle.

-Butchman

xs11jack
10-02-2016, 09:00 PM
We have a radio station(AM) here in St.Louis area part of a chain called the Answer. Lately the have been running an ad for some lawyer outfit that is suing Remington about their triggers. I only have one Remington product, a Nylon 77. Nice gun, it has appreciated quite a bit over the price I paid.
Ole Jack

lefty o
10-02-2016, 09:44 PM
remingturd=cutcorner manufacturing! have a few recent 700's. so long as you understand your gonna throw half the gun away out of the box to make a quality rifle, your ok.

Idaho45guy
10-03-2016, 06:19 AM
I know Remington made me about $600. That's how much the value of my Marlin lever action increased after Remington bought them and ruined them. I paid $400 for my Marlin and 4 years later sold it for $1000.

I wish Marlin would turn around; their catalog now is pathetic and their guns are overpriced; Henry is killing them...

A pause for the COZ
10-03-2016, 07:36 AM
It is what it is. A old company who used skilled labor to turn out serviceable fire arms. But the world had changed, so mush so that the old cheap gun manufactures were taking advantage of the new technologies. Turning a process that they already used to make guns inexpensively and just ramped up the quality of the output.

This put the old guard at a disadvantage. They know how to hand build and had fit guns to hit a quality level. Not how to make many many guns cheap but good.
Its a steep learning curve for them.
If they survive they will learn how to do it.

The R51 is the perfect example of this learning curve.
I picked up a G2 version a week or so ago. Mine functions exactly as expected.

I hope they dont just poop can the hand work though. They would have an advantage if they kept it.
They would be able to offer the standard grade of a serviceable fire arm. But offer upgrades to hand fit models in various grades.
Allot of people would pay a bit more over list price for a hand fit and tested example.
Will see.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/101_0097_zpszsmjpwiy.jpg

runfiverun
10-03-2016, 11:33 AM
that's a new gun?
holy 1890 retro looking.

B. Lumpkin
10-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Remington's proprietary reamer:

Menner
10-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Was just at a CBA match weekend before last and was told that the guy that won the hunter division also won the over all at nationals this year was shooting a Remington SPS in 308
Just sayin
Tony

pressonregardless
10-03-2016, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=runfiverun;3797260]I bought a rifle from Spain for 150 bucks more than their top end 700 and I'm glad I did./QUOTE]

Bergara ?

dragon813gt
10-03-2016, 06:16 PM
I wish Marlin would turn around; their catalog now is pathetic and their guns are overpriced; Henry is killing them...

I'd have to see sales figures to believe this. Henry's are always available by me and I never see anyone buying them. Tube fed means I'm not interested. They also weigh to much. They look like a quality product but if they want the Marlin market then make one like a Marlin.

I have one of the rare Remington made 1894C. There is nothing wrong w/ it and it shoots lights out. They have screwed the pooch w/ how long it's taken them to straighten production problems out. I think the current 1894 is over priced by about $200. A $750 pistol caliber lever action is steep. Especially when the twist is still wrong.

I have a second year production R1. Throat was nonexistent so it didn't like cast bullets. This isn't Remington's fault as it ate any and all jacketed ammo. I throated it and it's still running w/ no problems.

I won't buy their centerfire rifles. Triggers are a known issue they ignored for decades. I will buy a Ruger, CZ or anything made by Miroku. They are all higher quality guns. The Ruger being the worse of the three.

And while this thread is about Remington. Ruger is on their way to becoming them. I've had to send the past three handguns and one rifle back to be "finished". Their QC is poor, just like Remington's. Their push to produce millions per year means a lot of bad products leave the factory. This is what started Remington's downfall.

runfiverun
10-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Press on,,,yessir.
I don't remember if it has a guarantee on accuracy or not but if it does I'm sure It exceeds their guarantee.
it will poke three in the same hole over and over again, I just picked a load of 4064 to give about 2800 fps and a 152gr bullet [I use sierra jackets and swage my own with a set of BT Snipers swage dies] and have never changed anything.

I am most impressed, and if I buy another new rifle I'm going to just buy another Bergara.
when I get some more money ahead I will replace the 200 dollar vortex I have on it with something that is more complimentary to the rifles capability's.
my only complaint is the synthetic stock is set up for the European style of 'head off stock' shooting.
something I think I can fix with an adjustable raised cheek-piece.
their wood stocks have a raised comb and are super nice pieces of wood.

Idaho45guy
10-03-2016, 10:06 PM
I'd have to see sales figures to believe this. Henry's are always available by me and I never see anyone buying them. Tube fed means I'm not interested. They also weigh to much. They look like a quality product but if they want the Marlin market then make one like a Marlin.

Marlin offers 18 different models. Henry offers 67... You saying that you never see anyone buying Henry rifles does not mean that no one is buying them.

In 2013 alone, they sold over 300,000 rifles...

https://www.henryrifles.com/news/henry-repeating-arms-to-manufacture-rifles-in-wisconsin/

"Henry Repeating Arms will build and ship in excess of 300,000 rifles in 2013 and employs 300 people in total."

Can't find any sales or production figures for Marlin... Gee, I wonder why... Maybe it's because Freedom Group lowered the quality and increased the cost of the firearms and consumers chose to give their money to Henry. It sucks, but it's the truth. I would love for Marlin to bounce back and make quality and relatively affordable lever-actions again. I just haven't heard any news to that effect.

I read the latest review of the new Marlin 1895GSBL which looks like a hot-rodded guide gun with a painted wood stock that they list a retail price of $1225 for... Seriously??

quail4jake
10-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Pardon my divergence from your opinion, sir, but the reputation of the staff of The American Rifleman has always been impeccable. If you have some evidence that their opinion is altered by monetary considerations please bring that forth, otherwise I don't see cause to defame the authors and editors of our own NRA journal. I can't speak to other publications.

quail4jake
10-03-2016, 10:52 PM
How sad that a company with such a long and glorious history has come to this. And now with Marlin in the same basket. Maybe a complete withdrawal from New York will help but I really think there needs to be a complete change of philosophy in order to improve quality. I'm looking for some Turnbull or Galazan type custom shop to make true reproductions of the great Remingtons and Marlins we all so admire. Given my own view of Remington's compromised quality I have to admit that I have a 1999 700 VLS in .22-250 that shoots sub MOA with tweaking and an aftermarket DBM and it is my favorite manually operated rifle for military rapid fire course! Go figure.

dragon813gt
10-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Pardon my divergence from your opinion, sir, but the reputation of the staff of The American Rifleman has always been impeccable. If you have some evidence that their opinion is altered by monetary considerations please bring that forth, otherwise I don't see cause to defame the authors and editors of our own NRA journal. I can't speak to other publications.

Their reputation went south a long time ago. They get paid to write reviews, I mean advertisements, just like all the other gun rags. The pattern is also obvious. They will review a brand new gun on the market and there will be a large advertisement for it in the same issue. The advertisement will be there for a few months afterwards. Very rarely do you see anything negative said about a gun they review. You know it's a bogus "review" if this happens. Everyone will have a couple things they don't like about a gun. Doesn't matter how trivial or small. Since these are never reported it's not a true review.

Blackwater
10-04-2016, 03:03 PM
I've diddled with guitars for decades, and it's long been a principle, and perhaps now more than ever, that spending big $$$$ on a guitar didn't necessarily guarantee great sound, and that cheap guitars sometimes get accidentally put together in just the right way so that, with a little knowledgeable handiwork, they can have the voice of an angel and save you a BUNCH of bucks. And I think it's the same with guns, or any other product.

I recently bought some Mora knock off knives that were made in China of stainless. The were $2 each. Some were pretty darn good knives. Some were soft and not worth much, except maybe a steak knife on nicely tender meat. With knives, it's largely about the heat treating, and if the cheapies get any at all, it can vary. And cheap stuff has always been kind'a like that, really. And it pretty much covers the whole field of manufacturing, no matter what the product is.

We now have capabilities that simply didn't exist back in the "good ol' days," and business, in the anti-business atmosphere of today, HAS to keep paring down their costs in any and every way they can, and the judgment to know where that extremely fine dividing line is between putting out good product and losing one's whole reputation is increasingly hard to discern. Add in the way "managers" are taught today, and it's not exactly a recipe for the artful stuff that we once used. But hey! We have an awful lot of "junk" to play with, and today's "moderns" have short attention spans, so .... it's kind'a water seeking its natural level, in a way, I guess?

I really miss many of the older guns where they once had a lot of respect and pursuit of things like balance and handling, smooth function, etc., etc. But in today's world, mass production is simmply what works in the competitive world we live in now. So it's necessary, and like any real art, there are still guys around who can create just about whatever type of gun one could want, including some of the finest examples of the custom gunsmith's art to have ever been put together. And it's not always the big name guys who put them out, too. Some advanced hobbyists can do some amazingly fine work. Von Gruff has posted pics of some of his work, and to an old phart like me, steeped in the nicer things, mostly because I could never afford them, I love posts like his.

The folks who bought some of the really nice older guns probably never really appreciated or even knew what all went into producing them, and just took them for granted. Today, we seek after some of those fine old guns, but mostly for their aesthetics. If we've got the money, that's great, even with the prices some are bringing now (sigh!). But if not, we still have the old do-it-yourself route, or maybe know someone as talented as Von Gruf and many others.

It's kind'a maddening when a co. like Rem. gives us fiascos like the Marlin take over, and guns that wouldn't even function and STILL were allowed to leave the factory. But as Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does," and the highly paid CEO's and other bigwigs HAVE to make things right, or at least acceptable, if they're to keep those highly paid positions. If they preside over a fiasco and don't do whatever is necessary to make it right, their heads roll, and someone else comes in who CAN do these things. I just hope politics doesn't change THAT! It's always been self-correcting over time, but most companies of long term production have had "Golden Years." It's just a reflection of mankind himself how it all works.

So, "Good Lord willin' an' th' crick don't rise," I think Rem. will work it out. They can't NOT do that, really.

FergusonTO35
10-04-2016, 03:17 PM
I recently bought an extra barrel for my 870 from Remington. Rifle sights with screw in chokes for turkey and slug use. Barrel shows up and the front sight ramp is leaning to the left. Contacted R-P, they sent a prepaid shipping label. Barrel leaves and comes back a few weeks later, sight ramp still leaning. I contact them again, they tell me to send it to Ilion this time, whereas previously I had sent it to a warranty repair station. Barrel comes back after about a month. This time, the ramp appears straight but the front sight bead is bent and cracked, I pulled it off with my fingers. Think I'm gonna get a replacement from Lyman and avoid any further aggravation.:oops:

pressonregardless
10-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Press on,,,yessir.
I don't remember if it has a guarantee on accuracy or not but if it does I'm sure It exceeds their guarantee.
it will poke three in the same hole over and over again, I just picked a load of 4064 to give about 2800 fps and a 152gr bullet [I use sierra jackets and swage my own with a set of BT Snipers swage dies] and have never changed anything.

I am most impressed, and if I buy another new rifle I'm going to just buy another Bergara.
when I get some more money ahead I will replace the 200 dollar vortex I have on it with something that is more complimentary to the rifles capability's.
my only complaint is the synthetic stock is set up for the European style of 'head off stock' shooting.
something I think I can fix with an adjustable raised cheek-piece.
their wood stocks have a raised comb and are super nice pieces of wood.

They sure are nice looking rifles & that walnut stocked B14 is more than likely going to be my next rifle.

http://www.bergararifles.com/en/rifles/detalle-rifle.php?rifle=B14+TIMBER

nannyhammer
10-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Guess I've been lucky. I have owned probably 25 Remington guns over the last 40yrs. Currently I have seven ranging from a 1966 model to a 2016 model. Zero issues with any of them other than one affected by the Xmark trigger recall. Only gun I have sent back that factory couldn't make me happy was a Ruger SP-101 22LR. Accuracy wasn't much and my 44 mag shot better groups at 50yds than the SP did at 15yds. Trying to scrape together funds now for another Model Seven.

runfiverun
10-04-2016, 10:14 PM
you won't regret it.
I kept looking at a 6.5 Creedmore in that configuration and a Para double stack 9mm caught the wife's eye,
when I went back to put the 6.5 on lay-away it was gone.
[I really like shooting that black-op's 9mm when I can pry it out of her hands though :lol:]
dang now I'm sounding like a gun magazine.
only difference is I get to look at several different guns before I make a choice or a recommendation.

JeffinNZ
10-05-2016, 01:22 AM
Are they merely supplying a product at the price folk want? Cheap!

BTW: nothing wrong with Eastern European shooting irons. My old BRNO Hornet was a great rifle and the Zastava Hornet I bought for daughter number one is a tack driver.

Blackwater
10-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Jeff, you make a great point. The "Wal Mart mentality" seems to prevail so often these days, that can it be any real wonder that the mfg's aim at prince points, rather than real, intrinsic quality issues? I haven't handled a modern made rifle in a long time that I could really say I liked. But some of them have been shooting VERY neat groups, of 1/2" and under! So that love/hate relationship seems to be more common to me than it once was. C'est la' vie. But WE are at least a large contributing part of determining what we get with regard to any product, from guns, to drugs, to doctor's that treat us ..... pretty much any and everything we do and use. Just water seeking a level, really. If anyone has a good idea how to fix mankind himself, I'd like to hear it. We've been given some outstanding advice and counsel in the past, but don't seem much inclined to follow it, so .... "The Beat Goes On."

sukivel
10-06-2016, 02:56 PM
it would really be nice to hear what some actual owners of Remingtons that have been produced in the last couple of years think about them. It's like anything else in life . . . a good reputation is quick to be lost but slow to be regained. Hopefully Remington is on the road back.

Granted, the 700 I posted about earlier was an ADL special. I would not pay the full price for a nice wood BDL at the store, but I would have one of them second hand that's discounted.

snowwolfe
10-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Been a Remington fan since buying my first 700 in 1977. But I'll never buy another. Why? Ther are just way to many push feed rifle options that are more accurate and have smoother actions and better triggers for less money. If I ever buy another bolt hunting rifle it will be a Tikka.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-06-2016, 04:52 PM
My experience based off of Remington products made in the last 10 years. Their 870s seem to be serviceable, nothing fancy but they work. The 11-87 is a total peace of junk. Their rifles are just "okay" and as another pointed out the CZ's are better. Marlin did a pretty good job of killing themselves before the Remington buy out, but the new Remlins are not anything to write home about either. No experience with Remington handguns so I will refrain from commenting on those. In my opinion Remington has always been the cheaper competition to other manufacturers, it just seems that now Remington is one of the few manufacturers left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flint45
10-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Dont relly read the Riflman reviews for the same reasons we are talking about plus I like to buy older guns anywaymost of the new stuff looks like junk any way.But I have four Remingtonsd and all have been good guns a model 600made adiffernt stock and made a trigger guard out of steelalso two 700's one in .243 and one in .350 mag.plus a 588 .22 make that five also a model 870 all are good guns no complants except the plastic trigger guard on the 600

Menner
10-09-2016, 12:46 PM
I own many Remingtons 1100's, 870's mostly Delaware is a shotgun state for deer I have a 700 SPS varmint rifle in 204 Ruger that still has the stock trigger and off a bipod will shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 200 any time you want to do it and will kill varmints out to 400 any day
Been shooting the same 3" 1100 for 30yrs for everything from Doves to Ducks she has performed well and has not given me any reason to buy a $1500 shotgun to do the same job
I for one like the weight of the 1100 most of those new shotguns feel like a BB gun when I pick them up.
I agree that the Wal Mart mentality has hurt the brand I do own one 870 express but it sits in the locker most of the time. building to a price point can only hurt you no matter what business you are in Remington trying to stay with Mossberg in price really hurt them.
Don't know much about Marlin really only own one and I love it (its an old one)
Probably been more game killed with a Remington than most any other manufacture (don't know just a guess)
Tony

snowwolfe
10-09-2016, 02:18 PM
I will give credit to Remington on one subject. Their current crop of Marlin lever actions are far better than any of the Marlin models I purchased since 2000.

BAGTIC
10-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Marlin quality had already started to decline before they were acquired by Remington. I suspect part to the problem was Marlin trying to keep their prices low enough to compete with other makers especially Rossi. Pinching pennies meant that there wasn't enough money going in to new equipment that would have allowed them to simultaneously maintain quality and price. When Remington got Marlin they also got the obsolescent production equipment and found themselves in the same boat. I suspect any improvement in Remlins is due less to Remington employees becoming more familiar with the Marlin design than it does with newer more precise production equipment. For any company to compete in the modern world economy demands investment in the latest technology. Many American factories have be resting on their laurels for to long. That is not surprising when our tax code requires depreciated over many years while many of our overseas competitors allow investment for new equipment to be written down immediately.

Boolit_Head
10-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Remington destroyed the Para Ordinance line.

Down South
10-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Just typed a four-five paragraph reply to this, hit post and lost it all. I will not retype it.....

runfiverun
10-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Sam I think I know what you said. :lol:

n10sivern
10-21-2016, 03:30 AM
I'll take savage over Remington any day. Freedom group buys companies then tries to pinch pennies into copper wire and quality goes to ****. I've looked down the bore of several Remington's and I've seen a lot of machining marks and chatter marks in the bore/rifling. The rifles shoot like they should with all the bore imperfections, they shoot like ****. Heck, Remington is now copying savage and using a barrel nut on one of their rifles. Freedom group killed off paran ordinance. They recently bought advanced armament and my local suppressor dealers are advising to stay away from them now. All my bolt rifles are savages now except one.....they are all custom though because I like to tinker.

Geezer in NH
10-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Just typed a four-five paragraph reply to this, hit post and lost it all. I will not retype it.....

God put Jesus and the Devil to a test. He told both to write an essay in 10 minutes. At the bell the devil screamed I just lost my essay when I hit Print!

Jesus essay was printing out. The Devil asked why?

God said easy "Jesus Saves" :kidding:

WDS
10-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Hi there everybody! Usually I am happy to read all of your posts but after reading this thread I feel compelled to share a Remington story.

I made the mistake of purchasing a Remington 742 in 30-06 caliber back in the early 1970's. The first time I fired the rifle it went full auto and discharged the 4 round magazine. A local gunsmith examined the gun and discovered that the trigger assembly had been incorrectly assembled. He made a seemingly simple change in the trigger assembly and returned the gun to me. I took the gun back to the range and thereafter the trigger worked as intended. I was shooting hand loaded ammunition and although I tried several different sets of components, the gun would not produce acceptable groups. Most of the groups were in the range of 10" to 12" in diameter at a 100 yard range. I thought that there must have been a problem with my hand loaded cartridges since I had never heard of such poor performance from a rifle that Remington claimed was very accurate by design. After a discussion with the gunsmith, the rifle was sent back to Remington with a letter detailing the poor performance and samples of fired cases. The initial response from Remington was that the gun had headspace and that a new barrel would be required to correct the issue. This would be at my expense because it had now been several years since the gun had left the factory. Upon receiving this communication I picked up the phone and had several conversations with the folks at Remington. After examining the cases shipped with the rifle, they admitted that the gun had been handled by an "apprentice" gunsmith who had "polished the chamber" and created the headspace problem. Shortly thereafter the rifle was returned to me with a note that indicated that the headspace problem had been corrected with the replacement of the bolt assembly. Remington made a practice of adjusting headspace in the Model 742 by creating three different bolt lengths and swapping them as they saw fit.

Butchman205
10-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Hi there everybody! Usually I am happy to read all of your posts but after reading this thread I feel compelled to share a Remington story.

I made the mistake of purchasing a Remington 742 in 30-06 caliber back in the early 1970's. The first time I fired the rifle it went full auto and discharged the 4 round magazine. A local gunsmith examined the gun and discovered that the trigger assembly had been incorrectly assembled. He made a seemingly simple change in the trigger assembly and returned the gun to me. I took the gun back to the range and thereafter the trigger worked as intended. I was shooting hand loaded ammunition and although I tried several different sets of components, the gun would not produce acceptable groups. Most of the groups were in the range of 10" to 12" in diameter at a 100 yard range. I thought that there must have been a problem with my hand loaded cartridges since I had never heard of such poor performance from a rifle that Remington claimed was very accurate by design. After a discussion with the gunsmith, the rifle was sent back to Remington with a letter detailing the poor performance and samples of fired cases. The initial response from Remington was that the gun had headspace and that a new barrel would be required to correct the issue. This would be at my expense because it had now been several years since the gun had left the factory. Upon receiving this communication I picked up the phone and had several conversations with the folks at Remington. After examining the cases shipped with the rifle, they admitted that the gun had been handled by an "apprentice" gunsmith who had "polished the chamber" and created the headspace problem. Shortly thereafter the rifle was returned to me with a note that indicated that the headspace problem had been corrected with the replacement of the bolt assembly. Remington made a practice of adjusting headspace in the Model 742 by creating three different bolt lengths and swapping them as they saw fit.

I had the same thing happen with a model four .270...and had 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine. I've had more than a few "authorities" on military weapons say the woodmaster platform rifle is incapable of running full auto. I probably wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen it myself. Same as yourself, a gunsmith had mine functioning properly in about 10 minutes at his shop.

The little devil on my left shoulder was yelling to keep it full auto, but thankfully he lost the argument.
The .270 was never a tack driving accurate rifle, but always did "fairly well" if I kept it super clean and oiled well.

-Butchman

Hamish
10-23-2016, 06:12 AM
I am very surprised that there's not been more mention of the Remington decades long cover up of the defective triggers and the death associated with it. Going full auto and discharging at any time with the safety on and especially going off when the safety is taken off are not isolated unique incidents.

Smoke4320
10-23-2016, 06:52 AM
Now that Remington is again moving production (from NN to Alabama) you will see more quality problems as they train an nearly all new "construction" crew auh I mean "gunsmiths

Katya Mullethov
10-23-2016, 08:18 AM
3 rounds of 30.06 (instantly)in the lungs would be three times more ethical and humane than just shooting them once .

dragon813gt
10-23-2016, 09:05 AM
I am very surprised that there's not been more mention of the Remington decades long cover up of the defective triggers and the death associated with it. Going full auto and discharging at any time with the safety on and especially going off when the safety is taken off are not isolated unique incidents.

Many will deny this. They will blame it on people working the triggers over. They will ignore the company memos from Walker saying the trigger should be changed to make it safe. They will ignore the fact that Remington decided a few cents per rifle was to much money. They will point out that the gun should always be pointed in a safe direction. So which way is safe if it can fire at any time?

quail4jake
10-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Does Remington employ gunsmiths?

Now that Remington is again moving production (from NN to Alabama) you will see more quality problems as they train an nearly all new "construction" crew auh I mean "gunsmiths

dragon813gt
10-23-2016, 06:52 PM
If imagine the line employees are machinists at best. Depending on what station they're at they may very well just be "machine operators". Lots of complicated products are produced by people w/ minimal skill.

Down South
10-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Sam I think I know what you said. :lol:
OK, I'll retype a bit of it. I have a Remington 300 Win Mag Sendero that I purchased back around 86? It is a tack driver that I pulled out of retirement, but it's been customized with a bedding job, glass in the front and pillar in the rear and barrel re-crowned.
I tried to adjust the so called adjustable trigger a few weeks ago without success. I was trying to get down to 2.5 trigger pull but the sloppy trigger assembly wouldn't adjust worth a toot. The factory trigger pull was breaking at around 6-6.5 lbs. After going through the adjustment procedure several times, the trigger would break at 1-3/4 to 3 lbs with no consistency. I wound up replacing the trigger assembly with a drop in Timney Calvin Elite, factory set at 8 oz. I tested the trigger at least 20 times and it broke like a piece of glass at 8 oz every time plus or minus 1 oz.
I'm going to leave it as is for the time being until I make a range trip to see how I like it. The Timney is adjustable up to 2-1/2 lbs.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Calvin-Elite-Remington-Model-700-P51.aspx