PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for early doe season

44man
10-02-2016, 08:46 AM
The lane was blocked to our stands with a huge dead tree that fell. We cut it out and a lot of over head junk, place turns to a jungle each year.
I made several rests out of conduit with "T" ends brazed on the back. Bolted to a hunk of 2X4. Have to remove a wing nut and bend it out to go around the tree, put it back on the bolt and strap the 2X4 tight. A little wimpy but works great. A little tough to get on up above the ladder stand. Just enough support for wrists.
We took our guns to practice. I found an old coffee pot and set it about 50 yards. Don did not bring the loads with my boolits for his SBH Hunter, he had a box of 225 gr Hornady SST's he got for a gift. Little pointy things with a plastic tip. I told him they will shoot low. He tore the ground up under the pot and out of 8 shots, hit it once. He could not judge hold over with them.
Now the bad! I kept finding his bullets on top of the ground, mashed and many just the jacket with no cores. I told him don't shoot deer with them, no exits. You can't see deer run here or fall, too thick.
I took my .475 BFR up and shot 4 times, center hits I could cover with a quarter, good to go.
We had fun, came to the house for a few beers. The lady owner has a stack of fire wood too. Now to get deer in sight!
Has it ever grown over, 32 acres of prime deer lands. I was walking around to find a target and had no idea where I was once. No sun, clouds and a drizzle. You can't find a deer without blood.

white eagle
10-02-2016, 10:54 AM
best of luck
sounds like a good time to me

44man
10-02-2016, 11:02 AM
I want liver and back straps big time. I hope all of you have a good season too.

ghh3rd
10-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Maybe this year I'll get my first deer (or hog). I started late at about 58 yrs old, and been scouting and sitting in stands since, and blew the only shot at a buck a couple of years back during MZ season.

The eligible deer seem far and few between here, but I do enjoy watching it start to get light from about 25' up in a tree, as the dew drips from the branches and the squirrels wake up. :-)

Good luck everyone!

44man
10-02-2016, 11:52 AM
You are too high. Believe me 10' to 12' is enough. Even on the ground works. Do not go too high. Makes shots hard. Then my worry about you up that high.

tdoyka
10-02-2016, 10:42 PM
back when i could get off the ground, my tree stands where 10' to 16' high. i never had the need to go higher.

wish you do well! the PA early doe season starts oct 20 and ends oct 22. junior and senior hunters and those with a disablity(hey! thats me!). i plan on using my 444 marlin(tc encore) with 275gr rd.
mmmmmmmmm.....backstraps!!!!!

Djones
10-03-2016, 06:51 AM
Dad and I fixed some of our stands up three weekends ago. Besides getting some horrible poison ivy, our work paid off. The stands are very secure and much safer. We also cut some new shooting lanes.

I am am not a huge fan of early season due to the heat and bugs. We have already went through the five deer from last year (all cast bullet kills!). I decided to try out the bow this weekend to see what I might be able to find to fill the cabinet, freezer and the four stomachs at my house with. I couldn't bow hunt last year due to back surgery so I made sure to practice the last two weeks.

All of the preseason work paid off. Made about a 14 yard shot in this healthy doe.
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt124/duckwhackercmon/20B23F68-5A75-4B20-8B01-66430659ADBF.jpg (http://s604.photobucket.com/user/duckwhackercmon/media/20B23F68-5A75-4B20-8B01-66430659ADBF.jpg.html)

my four year old daughter ran the grinder stuffer and wants me to get more. What she doesn't know is, I am headed to Colorado for elk in early November (taking my 35 Rem with 35-200 over 40 grains of LVR). I am not going to shoot any more deer until after I find out if the freezer is full from that trip. She may see more of that grinder than she bargained for after working on an elk.

Well, needless to say it was a very fun weekend. I wanted my 35 Remington instead of my bow several times, but I am very pleased with the outcome.

I pray that you all have a safe and memorable season.

David

44man
10-03-2016, 08:37 AM
That is a heck of a nice doe, good job. With old shoulder injuries I can't use my bows anymore. Revolvers get as close to archery as I can get now.
I don't get poison ivy and can pull it out of trees by hand. But we have those weeds with the beggar lice seeds that you need to pick off for an hour in the stand. Real nasty to get on gloves. Its like getting wrapped in Velcro.

WebMonkey
10-03-2016, 09:16 AM
nice doe!
i like the added details about the usage.
much the same here. mouths to feed one way or another. some work, effort and a well placed shot, or $$$ at the grocery store.
:)