PDA

View Full Version : "New Wildcat" invented. Deep seated .356" lead cast bullet in 38 spl case.

TheGuyFromSouthamerica
10-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Dear ya all,

Meanwhile I was not posting at Cast Boolits I was posting at The Firing Line under the pseudonym of TheGuyOfSouthamerica. Now on Cast Boolits here I am posting under the Name TheGuyFromSouthamerica. I post this on cast boolits since on TFL I can not post high Resolution photos (I forgot to lower the Resolution of the phone).

I have invented an new "wildcat" cartridge.177907177908177910
I left aside the "reinvented 9mm Federal Rimmed" and instead did what an Cast Boolits member was suggesting me: Seating deep the Lee .356" lead cast Truncated Cone Tumble lube 124 grain bullets into the 38 spl case. The Picture on the left is the result. In that Picture right you see the "new wildcat", in the middle you see the same bullet in an 9mm Luger and on the left you see the cast bullet itself.
The Picture in the middle are the entrance holes from the "new wildcat" from an distance of 55 meters. You see it has an accuracy of about "Movement of Deer". It is good for hunting and defense I guess. I measured the accuracy and I got 6" from hole to hole (no particular aiming was done at that Shooting). 2 shots of These "wildcats" were fired.
The Picture on the right are the Exit wholes from the 2 shot fired "new wildcat" from a distance of 55 meters. You see it penetrated the 200 Liter bin right through and entered on an Wood at the back and must have bounced off since I can not find the bullets.
Comparison: #4 buckshot will NOT penetrate the bin (often not even from the front side) from 20 meters. 00 buck will penetrate the bin both sides from 20 meters but not all of the 9 pellets.
You see therefore These "wildcats" have a good Penetration. They are loaded with 3.0 grain 700X type scavenged shotgun powder behind the .356" 124 grain Lee bullet. They are seated 0.100" deep from flush (like an wadcutter but deeper) and empty airspace in the case should equal about that of an 9mm Luger. The 9mm Luger I load the same bullet and powder Charge.
Seated at 0.125" from flush These wildcats start to Show bulges near the rim and I guess that may be a sign of incipient case head Separation (but no hard extraction nor any other signs of over pressure could be seen). These wildcats are shot in an Heritage/Pietta Rough Rider 357 Magnum SAA 5.5" Revolver.
Lubed are These "wildcat" and 9mm Luger not anymore with Texaco Marfak Lithium grease but I changed to Raidl Raidex Crayon animal marker sticks from Hauptner&Herberholz made in Germany for bullet lube. With this bullet lube I do NOT get leading at all and it stays solid til 176 degrees Farenheit (80 degrees Celsius). These Crayons do not seep oils nor liquify if exposed to direct sunlight on a cooking hot truck Hood.

What do you guys think? Any opinions?
Check as well my post at The Firing Line if you are interested.

fecmech
10-01-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure what the advantage is other than creating 9mm pressures in a .38 spl case. Using similarly fast powders such as Red Dot or Bullseye with the Lee bullet seated to the base of the truncated cone I get 1000 fps out of a 6" S&W K38. Loads are no where near max pressure for 38 spl. and accuracy@50 yds is on the order of 2-2.5" groups.

TheGuyFromSouthamerica
10-01-2016, 03:00 PM
fecmech,

Please explain: <<with the Lee bullet seated to the base of the truncated cone >>

You are seating them as well deep or do you seat them like normal? I don not understand your Point. Please explain.

10-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Have been doing it for years, posted about it a while back
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?298833-Deep-seated-boolits

TheGuyFromSouthamerica
10-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Oh thanks very much 220,

I will read the entire post just now.

Thank You! again Sir for your pioneer work!

merlin101
10-01-2016, 04:58 PM
If it works for you then go for it! We know that reloading components are difficult to obtain 'down there' and you have to make do, and you seem to doing so.
I take it that you plan on deer hunting with that load? If so try a little softer alloy of lead so you get some expansion.

TheGuyFromSouthamerica
10-01-2016, 05:04 PM
These cast bullets are NOT water quenched. They are cast and then left cool on air with an environmental temperature of about 95 degrees Farenheit. I understand lead is still hardening for about a month.

At least These bullets start as soft as possible just in order they obturate well and have some Expansion. I shot yesterday a shot of These from 13 meters and it penetrated an about 1.3" hardwood. I retrieved the bullet and it was deforemd heavily. The base was intact (no Deformation whatsoever) but the rest was not recognizable anymore as an bullet.

TheGuyFromSouthamerica
10-01-2016, 05:11 PM
deer are almost extinguished here due to People shoot 'em were they find 'em. Laws are not particularly enforced here and bribes are common.

fecmech
10-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Please explain: <<with the Lee bullet seated to the base of the truncated cone >>
My standard load is 4.2 Bullseye for approx 1000 fps in a 6" 38 spl or 1200 fps in a levergun. A very accurate and very ballistically uniform load.

TheGuyFromSouthamerica
10-01-2016, 07:34 PM
fecmech,

You are using 1.2 grains of powder more than I do. That is my Point. If you seat 'em deep you save yourself some powder but raise pressures to 35000 psi about Levels of 357 mag/9mm Luger. These then you can NOT shoot in 38 spl Revolvers but ONLY in 357 Magnum guns.

TheGuyFromSouthamerica
10-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Once I got my chronograph I will post a new thread with velocity data for These. I ordered an Caldwell chrono.