PDA

View Full Version : Pop my cherry

Scuppertrout
09-30-2016, 07:27 PM
This is my first post so be gentle. Didn't know where to post this question. I figure all of yall must know what your doing to some extent. I'm just getting into reloading. I picked up two boxes of primers the other day , large pistol. After putting them all in I discovered one box was large rifle. My bad I should have checked each box but I didn't. So can I pop all these primers back out and tell the difference in the two? Or can I still use them like they are? What's the difference? 45 Cal. Thank you

Pipefitter
09-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers and generally have thicker cups. Run your finger over the base of the case and you should be able to tell the difference, the rifle primers will stand out more.

If you do choose to deprime the live primers just take it easy, don't slam the case into the die. You probably won't set one off doing this but it can happen.

Scuppertrout
09-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Thank you sir.

white eagle
09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
did you seat more than 100
did you take the primers out of 2 different packs
you should be able to back out the large rifle,but do it easy
i hope you gathered something from this,its easy to get things mixed up
take your time no distractions

Wayne Smith
09-30-2016, 09:09 PM
I have deprimed literally hundreds of live primers, carefully, and never had one go off. They all fired when loaded appropriately, too.

Scuppertrout
09-30-2016, 09:28 PM
I grabbed two boxes off the shelf never looked at the second one. Just lost some time. I can use the large rifle primers. Your right that won't happen again. Just glad I noticed at all.

mdi
09-30-2016, 11:48 PM
No offence intended, but you're starting off pretty sloppy. Basic reloading safety methods should be reviewed. Primers; Read the labels before purchasing or opening the brick/sleeve. Keep only one sleeve of primers on the bench at one time. For the new reloader, stay with the reloading manual's suggestions for size and "strength". Seat primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket, and many suggest safety glasses when priming brass.

Establish a step by step routine for getting set-up before starting the reloading process, like set all the components on the bench, and perhaps write the load data on a note and tape it to the press or another obvious place. One jug of powder, one sleeve of primers (unless you intend to prime more than 100 cases.

I've been reloading for over 30 years and practice these measures every reloading session and have had zero Kabooms! and only one squib (28 year ago).

Go slow, double check everything, stay safe, and most important, have fun...

dubber123
10-01-2016, 04:57 AM
The priming compound is often a different color, if it is it would make IDing them pretty easy.

bedbugbilly
10-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Use this as a learning experience. Pay attention to what you are doing. Luckily it's primers . . . you don't want to be screwing up with grabbing the wrong canister of powder. Powder containers can often "look similar" - READ the labels on any of the components you are using BEFORE you use them and don't get distracted while reloading.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but reloading isn't something to be done "half #$^%". If you don't have a good reloading manual - get one - and read it. Don't just depend on forums like this to gather your reloading information - while forums are helpful - nothing substitutes for a good reloading manual.

randyrat
10-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Welcome Scuppertrout, hope you don't mind some advice...

Double check everything, label everything, don't memorize, don't depend on memory of what is in your powder measure, keep only one kind of powder/primer on your bench at a time. If in doubt pull/cull the bullets.

Your eyes, fingers and life depend on your safe reloading

OS OK
10-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Welcome abord there Scup..I suppose we all make mistakes it's just you'd rather not have brainfarts in the reloading room.
Not knowing you or your personality/habits and the like it's hard to offer much advise in general and in a non-specific way other than the general 'warning label' type stuff, but...there's a few things you can do to keep the odds in your favor.
Daily we all have idle time, commuting, waiting for Dr. apt. or whatever applies in your case...use that time to think about the next loading session in the reloading room. You can use this last little mistake for example...actually see yourself in your minds eye doing all the things necessary to get those primers installed...or in this case 'un-installed'. How am I to know which is which, LP or LR...compound color? How am I going to catch them as they come out of the press before they ricochet off into the shag carpet or skip across the concrete under something. Pre-thinking tasks is just like doing tasks but there's no bad results or mistakes when doing it in the minds eye first.
Think about any way that 'ole Murphy' can trip you up. As to priming, are the primer pockets clean and have no obstructions from cleaning matter, maybe the cases were just received in a shipment you bought here, already clean? Well, did you look inside the case to determine that there wasn't a smaller case lodged inside? How do the rims look, any splits? Do they headspace off the rim or the case mouth, did you measure them?
Once you think of all the little details in your minds eye and see yourself doing these things, you'll start seeing potential problems in your methodology or in the area you've appropriated to do these tasks...whatever...actually seeing yourself perform these tasks beforehand will become a sort of quality control for you before 'hard and fast habits' form.
It's a sort of daydreaming about what I'd rather be doing except that I'm paying attention to the details. Sometimes it reminds you that you wanted to stop by the gun shop to pick up something you forgot, or...the dollar store for some bins to get further organized, I think you get the picture here.
The fellas already mentioned the loading manual, one is absolutely necessary, several are better type thinking here. Without a mentor there hovering over all your first moves you have to rely on the articles you've read in the manuals, they are chocked full of basic information written for all the newbs...and full of info for every level of loader too in that what they say is golden...do not deviate without experience and at least a couple of old handloaders being consulted first. Ask the ones who have 10 fingers and both eyes first...that's a hint that they might know something to stay outa trouble.

Well, nuff said for the time being...getter done there Georgia Boy and stay in touch.

charlie

pdumont01
10-01-2016, 09:09 AM
I've used LRP in place of LPP, but load must be reduced by 10%. Can't say I've ever had a problem, maybe I've just been lucky.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mdi
10-01-2016, 11:29 AM
I've used LRP in place of LPP, but load must be reduced by 10%. Can't say I've ever had a problem, maybe I've just been lucky.

Large rifle primers are .008" taller than large pistol primers. Primer pockets are different also...

pdumont01
10-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Large rifle primers are .008" taller than large pistol primers. Primer pockets are different also...
I know they are, but when there are no LPPs around they work. I've used them in Beretta cougar and my glock30s without a problem. In a pinch they work. I'm not telling people to do it, just stating my experience. Same thing with SRP in SPP applications. The 10% charge reduction applies as well.

merlin101
10-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Welcome Scuppertrout, hope you don't mind some advice...

Double check everything, label everything, don't memorize, don't depend on memory of what is in your powder measure, keep only one kind of powder/primer on your bench at a time. If in doubt pull/cull the bullets.

Your eyes, fingers and life depend on your safe reloading
Welcome !! The above is real good advice but I'd like to add one thing to it. That is don't just take one persons word for anything (cept mine) Just because we're on the wizernet doesn't mean we're all a wiz on anything! There's good and bad advice here on this site just do some research and you'll figure it out.
I'm glad you made the mistake with the primers, it was an easy and pretty much cheap and painless mistake. Please make sure to wear eye protection while depriming those live primers!

Scuppertrout
10-01-2016, 04:01 PM
I do appreciate all the advice. Randomly grabbed five of the .45s I had reloaded today and they all fired just fine. I was pissed with myself for making the mistake that I made. I did catch it by going over what I had done up to that point. Thank you all again for the advice and chastation.

NoAngel
10-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself. Just learn from it. This forum is filled with experienced reloaders. The ONLY ​ ones here who haven't made a silly mistake at some point are filthy bald faced liars.

Scuppertrout
10-01-2016, 04:21 PM
I'll fit right in

NoAngel
10-01-2016, 04:29 PM
I'll fit right in

LOL!

Well, welcome to the forum Jaw-juh. I'm right up the holler from ya in Ten-uhh-see.

toallmy
10-01-2016, 04:30 PM
I once used LRP by mistake loading a few 44mags and had to figure out why the cylinder would not turn , thank god it was only 20 or so , yep I was in a hurry and it took much longer to take them apart than the time I saved by not checking twice . Live and learn only works if you live be safe . By the way welcome aboard .

TXGunNut
10-01-2016, 08:35 PM
I'll fit right in

Welcome to the forum, I think you will too. I know you're wearing eye protection when reloading, that caution goes double if you decide to de-prime live primers. :-)

ghh3rd
10-01-2016, 08:47 PM
I haven't had this happen to me, but from reading here it sounds like you might be able to fire the primers in the empty cases, if you're nervous about having them go bang while depriming. I have deprimed a handful of live primers over the years and never did have one go off ... just don't like that anticipation.

jimb16
10-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Everyone was a beginner once upon a time; 46 years ago in my case. Even now I can make mistakes. For instance, the other day I was loading some 300 Blackouts and I made a minor goof. The cartridge is new to me as is the actual upper that I'm shooting them in. I was loading some cast bullets that are slightly oversized for the bore. I left one driving band outside of the neck and used a heavy crimp. Just my luck ( I know I should have checked) the barrel has a short throat! JAM-O-MATIC! Today I took those 50 rounds and chucked them into a Lee case trimmer base and used a file to "remove" the driving band. Now I can shoot the gas checked bullets without having to pull them. Quicker and easier than pulling the bullets from a crimped case and then having to fight out the stuck gas checks. Nobody is immune to making mistakes. Even those of us who know better can screw up. And before anyone mentions it, I coated the filed off area with LLA to avoid leading.

mdi
10-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Mistakes? Not me! Every round I assemble is perfect an I can wring out 1/4 MOA at 123.5 yards with my .2" .38...

That's my story and I be stikin' to it...:guntootsmiley:

Wayne Smith
10-02-2016, 07:47 AM
MDI - I think you transposed some numbers. Wasn't it 213.5 yards???

Supertrout - years ago I was in a local cigar store looking for a box to keep some of the pens I made. Found several, but also found a four drawer vertical box that small cigars came in. I snapped it up (all of one dollar each for the boxes, take your pick!) and four sleeves of primers fit perfectly in each of the drawers. This is how I keep my primers in the loading room. The rest are in the garage fridge. Just have to pay attention to which box I'm pulling sleeves from!

Scuppertrout
10-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Its Scuppertrout !! ,one day maybe I'll explained what that means.

DerekP Houston
10-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Its Scuppertrout !! ,one day maybe I'll explained what that means.

Im gonna go out on a limb and just leave this here ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Scupper%20Trout

CHeatermk3
10-03-2016, 07:36 PM
So, here's something a bit different...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcdcI6_JXS4oArRgnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTE0 amZtcXAxBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDRkZVSTNDMl8xBH NlYwNzYw--?p=scuppernog&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&th=230&tw=276&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wine-searcher.com%2Fgrape-672-scuppernong&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wine-searcher.com%2Fgrape-672-scuppernong&name=Scuppernong+Wine+Grape+Variety+Information&oid=19d61f2e-0fb5-34f3-a44f-97f21f3b4e32&h=250&w=300&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fl.yimg.com%2Ffz%2Fapi%2Fres%2F1. 2%2FEynxNqtwS1i05yVlyT8PWg--%2FYXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2ZpPWZpbGw7aD0yMzA7cHhvZmY9MDt weW9mZj0wO3E9OTU7dz0yNzY-%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fs2.yimg.com%2Fls%2Fimg%2F1024%2Fd f7abd7a-fd0e-36b4-bea1-9823ea0c1dfc&slotting=yst&tt=Scuppernong+Wine+Grape+Variety+Information&sigr=11iheln5f&sigit=1671b5at0&sigi=11b3nlhae&sign=11akib58v&sigt=11akib58v&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Griff
10-03-2016, 08:41 PM
And if one reloading manual is good, several are better! You'll find that just like reloaders, they don't always agree with each other.

Lead Fred
10-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Silly me, I have an ammo box for rifle primers, another one for pistol primers, another for small pistol.
Since the only thing I use the small rifle for is 300BO, I keep them with the AR stuff, way away from the small pistol primers.

reloading is not a hobby, it is a science.

Scuppertrout
10-04-2016, 05:48 AM
When I went through Navy diving school this is what we were referred to. I wear the name proudly. Hooya

ghh3rd
10-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Not related to Trouser Trout I guess...

Scuppertrout
10-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Not related to Trouser Trout I guess...
I doubt we are even in the same league.

Victor N TN
10-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I started handloading in 1972... I bought, with all the mechanical and explosive stuff a 45th edition Lyman's handloading manual. The man told me it had more USABLE information than any 3 of the other manuals combined. I believe he was at least very close if not correct. I have a couple of Hornadys, + 2 Sierras + 1 Berger, + Speer. I have a 47th and 49th edition Lyman. Plus their cast bullet manual and shotshell manual. They have just come out with their 50th edition. I'll probably have it in a few weeks.

I said all that to say this, DON'T START WITH THE DATA SECTIONS... Read ALL the safety, setting up and getting started chapters. Then read the safety chapter again. I make it a habit to read that part of one of their manuals every new year when the house is quiet and the grandkids are in school. Then look up your data you need for the caliber you're wanting to load.

Lyman's is also the only manual with more than a couple of loads for cast bullets.

Welcome to the board. Just take more care. Things we work with as a hobby, don't react too well to accidents.