PDA

View Full Version : Searching for .463 diameter bullets

Premod70
09-28-2016, 10:39 PM
After trying unsuccessfully various bullet molds in a 45/70 I pounded a slug and found the old girl needs a oversize bullet or so I think. Does anybody have a few bullets in the 400+ grain area measuring a larger .463 diameter that they would sell. Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

knifemaker
09-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Premod70, slug your barrel with a pure lead oval shaped fishing sinker you can get at any store that sells fishing supplies. Measure that with a mike, not calipers for an accurate measurement of your groove barrel dia. You will need a cast boolit that is 1-2 thousands over the groove dia. If indeed you need boolits that are .463, you can have Tom at Accurate molds make you a mold that will drop that dia or slightly larger. Most 45/70 of the Marlin line that I have seen were shooting great with a .460 dia . cast boolit, but every now and then a barrel will get out that is oversize.

Premod70
09-29-2016, 08:08 AM
I guess I should have stated the rifle make as well, it's a Italian 1874 Sharps that carries the Taylor brand. The bore and grooves are standard .450/.458 but the throat is tapered to a .463 diameter. I'm shooting a light load of Unique and the only bullet that will come close to accuracy is the Lee 400 grain hollow base bullet. The hollow base tells me the other bullets are not sealing the throat adequately resulting in gas cutting. I wish to try oversize bullets to see if the rifle can shoot to it's preceived abilities.

Pfeifer
09-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Does anybody have a few bullets in the 400+ grain area measuring a larger .463 diameter that they would sell.

I have 3 in that .463" area wrt diameter... the 405grn HB Lee you mentioned, a 300 grn PB Mihec HP mould (GB way back when) and an NEI 420-462. Not been casting much lately, but working on getting back to task! Let me know if those are of interest.... and we can work out the details.

Regards,
Jeff Pfeifer

FredBuddy
10-01-2016, 10:54 AM
I am currently experimenting with the lyman 292-457 powder coated to .463 in order to avoid re-sizing brass. You might consider powder coating as a cheap way to get where you want to be.

Premod70
10-01-2016, 08:32 PM
I have 3 in that .463" area wrt diameter... the 405grn HB Lee you mentioned, a 300 grn PB Mihec HP mould (GB way back when) and an NEI 420-462. Not been casting much lately, but working on getting back to task! Let me know if those are of interest.... and we can work out the details.

Regards,
Jeff Pfeifer
The NOE 420 would be the one I would go for, any chance of buying some bullets? I'm willing to pay a fair price for say 20 or so bullets. Thanks for the reply.

Premod70
10-01-2016, 08:33 PM
I am currently experimenting with the lyman 292-457 powder coated to .463 in order to avoid re-sizing brass. You might consider powder coating as a cheap way to get where you want to be.
Thanks for the idea but I'm too old to learn new tricks.

W.R.Buchanan
10-02-2016, 01:23 PM
I would second the powder coating Idea, and unless you are over 100 you ain't to old.

It ain't that hard and you can get up and running for $20 if you have an old Toaster Oven laying around.

It is the quickest way to get boolits sized up and doesn't require a special mould which will cost you a lot more than a sample pack from Smoke and a few Ziploc Containers from the store. There's a whole section here on how to do it. "Coatings and Alternatives."

However,,,, My first question would be how did you figure out the throat of your gun was .463? Did you do a chamber cast?

Randy

Premod70
10-02-2016, 01:48 PM
I would second the powder coating Idea, and unless you are over 100 you ain't to old.

It ain't that hard and you can get up and running for $20 if you have an old Toaster Oven laying around.

It is the quickest way to get boolits sized up and doesn't require a special mould which will cost you a lot more than a sample pack from Smoke and a few Ziploc Containers from the store. There's a whole section here on how to do it. "Coatings and Alternatives."

However,,,, My first question would be how did you figure out the throat of your gun was .463? Did you do a chamber cast?

Randy
i slugged the throat to get my dimensions and at present I think it will cheaper to try a true diameter cast bullet if I can luck into a person with some to spare.

Pfeifer
10-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Premod70 - PM sent