PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern Massachusetts Boolit Casting Seminar

Michael J. Spangler
09-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Hi Guys and Gals
I figured I would post this here to see if there was any interest. Last year a friend and I took over the DukeInFlorida (Formerly DukeInMaine) Cast Bullet seminar to help bring the addiction to some new folks. It was a great success and we're going to run it again this year. Anyone interested in signing up the info is below.
ASP is also a member here and is running the seminar with me.

Saturday, October 22nd

Location: Westport, MA Exact address/directions to be provided via PM one week before the seminar

Door Prizes
We will be gathering some door prizes just like last year. I'll post some items as we get closer.

Required equipment for participation
Safety glasses or face shield
Work gloves
Close-toed Shoes/boots

Do not count on there being extra safety gear for you to borrow. There are several places within a 10 minute drive if you need to stop en route.

Wear clothes you wouldn't mind getting dirty. This is molten lead, after all.

Recommended to bring
Folding Chair
note taking materials/ clip board
Barrels, cylinders, and/or guns that you want to shoot cast boolits in** so we can slug the bore/cylinder throats
Long pants & sleeves

**please provide a heads up on this so we can have the appropriate sizes ready

Schedule
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
9:00 - 9:30 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants - Please try to be on time.
10:00 - Workshop begins
10:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 2:30 - Second Round of mini workshops
2:30 - 4:00 - Third and last round of mini-workshops
4:00 - Wrap Up and departure (to Shooting Supply if you want to)

Shooting Supply is less than 10 minutes away and primarily stocks reloading and casting supplies while also being a full service FFL. Get the tools while all the info is fresh in your head!

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Fluxing
Smelting
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Common Problems and Solutions
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources
And more

Every participant will get to participate in each of the above class topics but not necessarily in order. The groups will be assigned after registration. You will get a chance to cover each subject with the group leader in a more one on one and hands on way. Example: you might do session B first (in round 1) and then session A second (in round 2), and then session C last (in round three).

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar.

Instructors: (4)
Michael J. Spangler
asp
1919FAN
BillNed

Attendance Cap: 24
Slight changes from last year

Participants are no longer required to bring your own lead.

$30 participation to be prepaid to ASP via paypal/cash/check/MO

THAT $30 GETS YOU...
Take-home reference material to use in future casting endeavors
whatever you cast during the seminar
$20 of smelted, ready to cast lead @ current market value (approx. $1/lb)
$10 coffee, donuts, smoked pulled pork sandwich, chips, drink, etc

Attendees: Let us know what caliber you are most interested in casting so we have enough molds ready. The intent here is to send everyone home with bullets they can shoot. We recommend to pick a caliber that is cast-bullet friendly to get you off on the right foot before delving into the tricker cartridges. Some suggestions: 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 45-70...

REMINDER Safety equipment required for casting/smelting: glasses/goggles, face shield, long gloves (welding or fireplace) gloves, long pants, close toed shoes

Disclaimer: The goal of the attendance fee is to secure commitment from attendees, not to make a profit. We have more prep work to do with this format and when all is said and done we'll be lucky to break even.

Attendee List:
Dakar652
named pipes
The Goose
Shark_Cage
Mountain
MadatMarek
Packn.hk
Jeff Brodeur
Boomer76

rbertalotto
09-28-2016, 06:32 PM
I live right down the road. Let me know if you need any help.

Michael J. Spangler
09-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks Roy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael J. Spangler
10-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Bump. Coming up soon if anyone new in the area wants to see how it's done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victor N TN
10-10-2016, 11:14 AM
I wish you were near here. Although I have cast pistol bullets for a long time, I'm sure I could pick up some useful information at a seminar like this. I hope everything goes well. Post photos and information AFTER. That way you'll keep everyone jealous.

I hope everything goes off without a hitch.
Victor

ps
Have you ever considered taping it and offering a DVD for sale? Just a thought.

Michael J. Spangler
10-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Thanks man!
We have no considered that. This one seems to have less interest than last time unfortunately.
I don't think the reloaders around here understand what casting can do for you.
If we get more of an interest and a little more help next time then I'll have to nudge ASP into taking pictures as he's a pretty damn good photographer. Hopefully I'll have some nice pics to post when it's all done.

Victor N TN
10-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Photos would be good. But a video disk would transfer more information to the end user. I would buy a DVD a lot quicker than a printed pamphlet with photos. And I'm sure if you can't do the editing, someone near you can make it a going deal.

Good luck again.
Victor