PDA

View Full Version : went to gander mountain today

mozeppa
09-28-2016, 03:55 PM
went to the same counter where i bought a s&w 500 mag, s&w 44 mag and a few auto's and several wheel guns .....

i had 19 in all (up to the tragic boating accident where i lost everything.) [smilie=1:

i i'm looking thru the glass hoping something new or exotic would catch my eye........and

believe it or not i found 3.... 38/357's .....3 others that were knock offs of ruger black hawks.
6 all together...and...

over 260 friggin plastic guns!

those were all auto's 45acp...40 S&W....9mm....& .380 acp that was all.

what the hell!

no...
500 mags
460 linebaugh
45 colts
44 mags
41 mags

just plastic!....okay ..i relent ....25 % were 1911's all metal ....but,

where are the wheelies?[smilie=b:

Smoke4320
09-28-2016, 04:12 PM
the youngin's don't shoot wheelies
Plastic Tastic is the name now

GOPHER SLAYER
09-28-2016, 04:22 PM
the youngin's don't shoot wheelies
plastic tastic is the name now
amen!

fatelk
09-28-2016, 04:40 PM
They grew up watching The Fast and the Furious instead of Gunsmoke​. :(

bedbugbilly
09-28-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm just feeling oh so old and out of it . . . looking at my "herd", I see one "plastic semi" . . . and all the rest, of which there are quite a few, are all steel and have cylinders . . . fact is, I used to have two "plastic semis" . . . but I cut one of them out of the "herd" and set it to market a few weeks ago . . . . really don't miss it and much prefer "purebreds".

Somehow, I just can't see Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and the rest riding at full tilt shooting a plastic semi auto. But then, those of us who grew up in that era, knew who the good guys were and the difference between "right and wrong" . . . not so today. There I go again . . . rambling like an old man sitting in a rocking chair on his porch with a far away look in his eye . . . :-)

Der Gebirgsjager
09-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Being and old time blue steel and walnut guy I can only see one advantage to the newer plastic guns--when your next tragic boating accident occurs you might be able to recover them with less rust damage! ;)

45workhorse
09-28-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm just feeling oh so old and out of it . . . looking at my "herd", I see one "plastic semi" . . . and all the rest, of which there are quite a few, are all steel and have cylinders . . . fact is, I used to have two "plastic semis" . . . but I cut one of them out of the "herd" and set it to market a few weeks ago . . . . really don't miss it and much prefer "purebreds".

Somehow, I just can't see Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and the rest riding at full tilt shooting a plastic semi auto. But then, those of us who grew up in that era, knew who the good guys were and the difference between "right and wrong" . . . not so today. There I go again . . . rambling like an old man sitting in a rocking chair on his porch with a far away look in his eye . . . :-)
And the good guys wore white hats.

DerekP Houston
09-28-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm of the younger crowd, I appreciate both platforms. Something just does it for me with a 38 6 shot ;).

blackthorn
09-28-2016, 07:17 PM
As I recall, those old time revolvers fired about the same amount of rounds prior to needing reloading as the current crop of handguns.

kmw1954
09-28-2016, 07:19 PM
I live and grew up just 15 minutes from where the original Gander store was. When it was the only one! Spent a lot of money in that store back then. Also back then they stocked primers, powders and bullets. Not so today. The Kenosha store did have a good number of wheel guns last time I was there a month ago.

white eagle
09-28-2016, 07:22 PM
had the same experience at the local Cabelas 6'glass counter with revo's
30' glass counter with auto's

foesgth
09-28-2016, 07:50 PM
A young guy I shoot with used to feel that way. Then he started reloading. He was crawling around for his 9mm brass and all my .38s were in a can, dumped right out of the cylinder. Within a month he bought a 686.

funnyjim014
09-28-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm a youngen. . Or I was one recently,just turned 32. I for one prefer my wheel guns . I shoot my glock and either my 64-4 or my new 929 every week at our local clubs practical pistol league. I'm faster and hit better with either smith, and it's just more fun . Don't worry all the kids will grow up someday and figure it out

Fergie
09-28-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm a youngen. . Or I was one recently,just turned 32. I for one prefer my wheel guns . I shoot my glock and either my 64-4 or my new 929 every week at our local clubs practical pistol league. I'm faster and hit better with either smith, and it's just more fun . Don't worry all the kids will grow up someday and figure it out

Right there with you...well, 34-ish anyways. I've got my Glocks and ARs, but more often than not, I bring my levers and wheel guns to the range.

My favorite is my BH in .327 FM, followed by my 686+.

Then again, I cut my teeth on an old H&R 9-shot .22 and carried a .32 H&R Magnum on my outings with my Dad until I could shoot a .357 well.

The guys at the LGS know that to set aside nice revolvers for me and another dude whenever they come in. And, I recommend revolvers to new shooters too. Hard to go wrong with the .357/.38 combo.

wv109323
09-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Didn't you watch the latest Dirty Harry movie where he is carrying his "nine".
"Did I shoot 18 or 19 times-Punk"

Scorpion8
09-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Plastic Tastic is the name now

Good'un! Hadn't heard that before. Call me an all-steel guy.

mozeppa
09-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Didn't you watch the latest Dirty Harry movie where he is carrying his "nine".
"Did I shoot 18 or 19 times-Punk"doesn't work....harry wouldn't need more than 5 or 6 exciting shots for the punk.

Moleman-
09-29-2016, 08:53 AM
I live and grew up just 15 minutes from where the original Gander store was. When it was the only one! Spent a lot of money in that store back then. Also back then they stocked primers, powders and bullets. Not so today. The Kenosha store did have a good number of wheel guns last time I was there a month ago.
Loved that store especially since the catalog division was in the big white warehouse behind it. Anything they had in the catalog you could go to the counter and order and they'd bring it up in short order. Then they opened the outlet/discount store to the side in the parking lot. Lot of great deals there. Got my Hornady progressive press for $100 there. Didn't look like the box had ever been opened (no extra tape) so I don't know why it and 20 others just like it were over there at 1/2 off. Had a buddy who worked there at the time who had the inside scoop of their demise. They hired a lot of college people in that didn't know hunting, only bean counting. Started stocking a lot more clothing as they had a bigger profit in them. Expanded too quickly and used stock from the catalog division to fill those stores. People didn't buy $80 gander sweatshirts like they did $80 Eddie Bauer sweatshirts which caused them to lose the catalog division and sign a non compete clause/won't open up another catalog division for x# of years when they lost it in the bankruptcy. Got my 336 from when they closed down the old store and moved it east. Last time I was in the local store the manager asked if I couldn't find something so of course I said Alliant 2400. He said they'd get some from the warehouse if I had a few minutes. Sure, what the hey. Figured they didn't really have any or it would be out, but you never know. At any rate I got passed off to a guy from archery who asked if that was some sort of crossbow before going and checking to see if there was any in the reloading area then asking the guy at the gun counter like I'd already done. After that he wondered off and I saw him go back to stocking shelves. Which makes me wonder if the hiring practices at chain stores like gander, cabelas, dunhams, dicks ect shouldn't give priority to people who at least know what the stores sell or encourage their employees to at least learn.

MT Gianni
09-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Well Gere, Roy and Hopalong weren't real cowboys anyway. You use the tool that is best for the job and your training. If you never leave pavement, for many now days that is an auto. If you learn on an auto and never train with a revolver it makes no sense to carry one. For those of us that train with a revolver and shoot a semiauto occasionally the transition is much easier.

Smoke4320
09-29-2016, 10:27 AM
besides its real had to mount "bro glows" on a revolver

frkelly74
09-29-2016, 10:48 AM
I LOVE my Ruger BH but I have to say that after firing my Glock 21 for the first time a couple days ago, that pours out 13 rounds like water from a bucket and is so easy and instinctive to hit with that it is ridiculous , I love it too. The Ruger has to be aimed, the Glock only has to be pointed. So I guess I really can understand the attraction.

My last purchases from a Gander Mountain were when they were selling all the reloading supplies at half price and I was able to get a bunch of different powders for 10 to 15 dollars a pound. It was a sale where I wished I had a lot more money to spend. I also got a Modelo Chileno Modelo 95 in pretty good shape once there. I do not spend a lot of money on designer clothing so They really do not hold much interest fro me any more.

osteodoc08
09-29-2016, 11:50 AM
As far as age, I'm 35. My wheelguns outnumber my autos probably 3-4:1. Even then I prefer the venerable 45 but still have semi autos in other calibers.

My my lever guns also out number my semi auto and bolt action rifles