PDA

View Full Version : Warm loading a .44 Russian?

bpatterson84
09-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Ok guys, before I start getting flack for trying to blow up my hundred year old collectors item, let me say, it's getting shot in a Smith model 69 and 29. Why you may ask? Because I picked up 500 pieces of new starline .44 Russian brass for $40! Now, by warm loading, I'm talking staying within reason here, was thinking 5gr 231 under my lee tl240 grainers that are powder coated(may go tumble lubed, we'll see). My normal load in these guns is that pc boolit over 20gr 2400 or 14.5gr hs6 in a magnum case, so I'd like to make a friendlier load for recoil sensitive friends to shoot. I know Starline brass should be capable of withstanding quite a bit of pressure and the listed amounts of 231 In a 'Russian case are a lil under 5gr, but I've got a 357 load of 5gr 231 under a 150gr boolit, would be nice to keep the same measurement in my Dillon powder measure when doing batches! Y'all ever do anything along these lines?

Thumbcocker
09-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Trade the Russian brass for special or magnum.

Oyeboten
09-28-2016, 02:18 PM

That sounds like an excellent idea I think.

rintinglen
09-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I think your idea of up loading the Russian loads is an excellent one. In the guns you mention, the pressure is negligible and as long as you don't get an old S&W break top, I think you are golden.
I've an acquaintance who loads his 44 Russian loads with a 429-383 for speed loading in ICORE or IDPA ( I forget which). The only possible cloud I see over your parade is that your load might be a little peppy for the beginner training load that you seek. A lighter boollit might be helpful in keeping recoil down while still using your 5.0 grain preset on the powder measure.
The shorter brass would allow you to tell at a glance your powder puff loads from your meat-getter's.

bpatterson84
09-29-2016, 06:49 PM
Ya know, that's a really great idea. A 200gr would make that a real nice combo! And with regards to trading in on mag brass, if you want a smaller load, less case volume makes it more powder efficient for a given velocity, so these lil Russian cases are perfect for that. I need to check the case volume versus a 45acp, seems like they should be very close and load data should be similar as well.

44man
09-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Only thing I found was short brass has never been as accurate as brass that fits the chamber.

bpatterson84
09-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Probably true, but this is going to be no target or hunting load, mostly popping steel plates, few hundred rounds per session kind of loads. And in that case a shorter case is more efficient.

W.R.Buchanan
09-30-2016, 05:04 PM

Ditto on the trade. What you have got should be easy to trade for Special or Magnum brass. Both your guns have much longer chambers and will simply perform better with longer cases and you will have less clean up after you shoot them.

Randy

Silvercreek Farmer
12-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Bringing this thread back to life. I bought some 44 Russian brass for easy ejection in a Bulldog that that I didn't end up buying. Decided to hang on to it and give it a try in 44 mag. I've got plenty of 44Spl/Mag brass, but I like the stumpy little 44s for no other reason than I can fit more of them in my pocket when I go out to plink. Fortune Cookie got some pretty impressive accuracy and velocities out of the case using Herco. It would be interesting if someone with Quickload was willing to run his load.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bIsuo2CKIvg