PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
09-28-2016, 06:37 AM
The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"—Matthew 8:25 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=50e8cab902&e=3dd732485b)It was a serious storm to frighten these seasoned fishermen. The disciples were afraid for their lives. Matthew tells us, "Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. Suddenly, a fierce storm struck the lake, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping" (8:23–24).

In the original language, the word for storm is also used to describe an earthquake. The storm they were facing was a mega storm. It covered the boat to the extent they couldn't even see past their hands. As The Amplified Bible puts it, "Suddenly a violent storm arose on the sea, so that the boat was being covered by the waves." And Mark's Gospel, describing the same storm, says, "High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water" (Mark 4:37 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://6)).

This gives us an idea of how massive of a storm this was. It reminds me of the TV program Deadliest Catch.I'm glad someone is going out there and doing that job. But looking at what some of those guys face, I would never get on one of their boats. It's probably like what the disciples went through at sea. Meanwhile, Jesus, who was fully God and fully man, was asleep.

Has it ever seemed to you as though God were sleeping during your times of need? Maybe you were going through some difficulty and called out to the Lord, but you didn't hear an answer that you knew of. You thought maybe God was just bored, preoccupied, or even asleep. But that isn't true. The Bible says, "He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps" (Psalm 121:4).

When the disciples cried out to Jesus, He responded to their call. And He will do the same for us.

Preacher Jim
09-28-2016, 07:04 AM
When we cryout the Lord hears, the hard part is when He tarries in His answer.
Good post for the days we are living in

Pine Baron
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Thank you rl. the follow-up verse.
Matthew 8:
26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

Boaz
09-28-2016, 07:10 PM
When we cryout the Lord hears, the hard part is when He tarries in His answer.
Good post for the days we are living in

I agree with Jim and if you talk to him about trouble you see coming , do it before it arrives . When you see the storm coming don't wait to tie things down and get your chickens put up .

buckwheatpaul
09-28-2016, 08:08 PM
If your faith is in The Holy Trinity then you should be at peace with all the perils that face you.....thanks rl....