PDA

View Full Version : Doing it "old School"

Iron Whittler
09-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Decided enough working, It's time to relax and have some fun. I wanted to load up some light plinking loads for the 45 Colt. Didn't want to take the time to change over my 650 so my rock chucker got the nod. Broke out the load blocks and a tub of brass. put a hundred cases in the blocks. As I was doing so, I found 9mm,380, etc. inside the 45 colt cases. Then as I was sizing, I found a 41mag and 44mag case mixed in. This is used brass that I bought from different places. So, be diligent when using "new to you" used brass. It's very easy for wrong size cases to be mixed in with bought used brass. The rest went off with out a hitch. I surprised my own self as to how relaxing it was to go Old School. The evening passed too quickly. Slow down and enjoy the time at the load bench. Best wishes to everybody and have fun shootin. Iron Whittler:Fire:

Butchman205
09-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Yessir.
I enjoy pumping out massive bags of ammo sometimes with my progressives, but sometimes I dig using a single stage and just making a few (100 or so).

I've said many times and will say again...there is definitely benefit for myself having a focus hobby. With reloading, I have to pay attention on what I'm doing...this taking all else off my mind. Then I get to relax making things go kapow! Haha!

-Butchman

runfiverun
09-25-2016, 10:50 PM
I just walked in from the garage where I was de-priming and re-sizing some shot shell hulls.
there was 3 Ponsess warren progressive loaders sitting right behind me.
but for the hulls I'm working with it's worth the extra few minutes to pre-size them and double check the 6 point crimp before running them through the progressive.
i might have to toss a hull or two, but I get zero mistakes this way.
it's similar to doing the prep work on 223 or 308 cases before running them through one of the Dillons.

TXGunNut
09-25-2016, 10:58 PM
Cover stays on my Dillon for years at a stretch, I used the RCBS single stage for awhile today as usual.

sparky45
09-25-2016, 11:23 PM
I've got "green" setting either side of my big "Blue". I'm in the process of loading a couple of hundred match loads of 5.56 and the only press I'm using is one of the "green" ones. Rock Crusher does work smoothly for sizing and priming. Each powder drop is weighed and the bullet is seated with a Wilson Die. Takes a while but I've got a while.

Chili
09-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Decided enough working, It's time to relax and have some fun. I wanted to load up some light plinking loads for the 45 Colt. Didn't want to take the time to change over my 650 so my rock chucker got the nod. Broke out the load blocks and a tub of brass. put a hundred cases in the blocks. As I was doing so, I found 9mm,380, etc. inside the 45 colt cases. Then as I was sizing, I found a 41mag and 44mag case mixed in. This is used brass that I bought from different places. So, be diligent when using "new to you" used brass. It's very easy for wrong size cases to be mixed in with bought used brass. The rest went off with out a hitch. I surprised my own self as to how relaxing it was to go Old School. The evening passed too quickly. Slow down and enjoy the time at the load bench. Best wishes to everybody and have fun shootin. Iron Whittler:Fire:

I guess I am old school every time I reload! :Fire:

There is a LOT of truth to double checking your brass. A recent acquisition of once-fired 30-30 brass also netted 1 HXP 30-06 case and 1 303 Savage case. It's very important you have the correct brass!

GhostHawk
09-26-2016, 09:00 AM
No progressives here, I am ALL old school.
Retired and don't shoot that much so nothing needs doing that much that fast.

I have still managed to put an impressive pile of loaded ammo on my ammo table.
Even alternating casting days with reloading days it is not hard to put 3-400 rounds of a given caliber in boxes ready to go.

mold maker
09-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Although I have 2 progressive presses, they seldom get used. Being older and shooting less I don't see the need to have that much ammo loaded ahead. I wouldn't shoot others loads and don't intend to leave lots of my reloads for others to tear down when the time comes.
Old school is my favorite way. Although I still add to the supply inventory, it is just so I can load on a moments notice.
I still often use the first RCBS Jr (1960s) press to de-prime every case before citric acid and SS pin cleaning and sizing. Cases stored that way will last for years, at the ready for instant loading.
I have ammo cans of cast and swaged boolits as inventory. Being the primers and powder are still in original packages, I don't need near as much to provide my needs.
Doing it one step at a time (old school) is a self-fulfilling and pleasurable pass time.

Wayne Smith
09-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Huh! Go down to Hand tools - for us Old School is a Lyman 310 tool or the Lee knock 'um tool. I use a Hollywood Sr. and a Bair Brown Bear for most of my loading.

lightman
09-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Its good to get back to the basics sometimes! I still us my 550 but I reserve it for large batches. Its also fun to take one of the older S&W's out and burn a couple boxes of cast loads.

deep creek
09-26-2016, 11:26 PM
I've been working up loads for a new 7mm/08 this summer.it has been so relaxing to just shut the door and use my old rcbs jr.plus drive up into the hills and shoot way the hell from anybody. i gave my boy ? he's 49my dillions and he loads for the hand guns and ars.doing it one at a time in slow motion just feels good

Hardcast416taylor
09-27-2016, 03:37 PM
I have a Hornady Pro-Jector progressive press set up with almost all the numbered shell plate holders..I`ve found that over the last 10 years about the only use this press sees is for large amounts of handgun ammo. All big case rifle loading is done on either my RCBS Rockchucker or RCBS Jr original presses. The last rifle shells I did on the Pro-Jector was a few boxes of .458 Mag. ammo with cast boolets.Robert

Highway41
09-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Guess I'm taking the middle path to my loading now, the only press I use is the LCT. Going to sell the Load Master I thought I needed at one time, now it just collects dust and the single stage press wasn't used for so long I gave it to my nephew.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk