PDA

View Full Version : Finding Lyman mold 429106??????

cowboy junky
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm looking for a mold for a 44 cal 161 grain by Lyman. The number is 429106 but I can't find one anywhere. I found the pick here http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm so I know they make it but I can't find one to buy. I'm very new and trying to learn.....any help please?

dubber123
06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Is it in Lymans current catalog? I suspect it may be a discontinued item, meaning finding it on the used market is your only hope. I personally have never seen one. Welcome to the forum by the way.

HeavyMetal
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
That is an old and discontinued mold!

I'm not sure what the rules are on buying asking for a product I do know they want you to post 25 times before you sell something here, and a good rule it is.

Suggest you ask someone like 45nut ( you can find his name in the stickies section) click on it and then send him a private message asking how long before you can post a request for a purchase of said mold in the swapping and selling section.

You may have to wait or not but you should ask.

Also welcome to the site. Who knows someone may PM you with one of these dinosaurs.

happy7
06-05-2008, 12:31 AM
If you are looking for a 160 grain bullet, one of the guys on this forum sells some in SWC.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/Accessory%20page.htm

It was a group buy mold we did a while back. I have one of the molds and like it very much. Unfortunately you probably won't get anyone to part with theirs. There were not very many made.

crazy mark
06-05-2008, 12:34 AM
It took me way too many years to find this mould. I found a SC about 1 year ago and still haven't cast with it. It was the one and only I have seen in at least 12 years of looking. No I don't want to sell it. Mark

happy7
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Cowboy Junky,

Depending on how badly you want one, you might be able to get a sample bullet from crazy mark and have a custom mold made. A number of companies make custom molds. Lee will make you one for $156 including shipping in their six cavity and a two cavity would be a little cheaper. You could even see if you there is any interest in a group buy.

floodgate
06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
cowboy junkie:

The #429106 was last catalogued by Lyman in 1962, and was probably not very popular; but they're out there - keep looking.

Floodgate

miestro_jerry
06-06-2008, 09:16 AM
I used the LEE 44 WC, it weighs about 180 gr when I use my WW plus alloy. But I don't think it's in current production these days. But I think Huntington sells a 44 SWC 185 gr mold, that may work for you:

44-185-SWC-BB Part number 82052

http://www.huntingtons.com/bulletmoulds.html

Jerry

cowboy junky
06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll be posting here a bunch because I'm just getting started......thanks again everyone.

slughammer
06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Looks just like 427100. I have a 2 cavity 427100 and measuring some cast boolits they measure on the large side of a mold listed for 44-40. Mine look like they would size nicely at .430 and they weight 178gr.

Is it the RN or the light weight that you are looking for? What type of shooting do you want to do with the boolit?

AND, welcome to the forum!

cowboy junky
06-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Looks just like 427100. I have a 2 cavity 427100 and measuring some cast boolits they measure on the large side of a mold listed for 44-40. Mine look like they would size nicely at .430 and they weight 178gr.

Is it the RN or the light weight that you are looking for? What type of shooting do you want to do with the boolit?

AND, welcome to the forum!

Sorry I put the cart before the horse……..

I'm a Cowboy shooter and locked into 44 spl. (lead bullets). I'm looking for a light RN lead bullet to keep recoil as low as possible and use less lead since it's so hard to come by (win win situation). I really want to keep with one bullet for the rifle and pistol to keep things simple.

Right now I'm shooting around 500FPS in the pistols and 700FPS in the rifle with a 180 grain bullet. Buying bullets is just getting too difficult and I want to remove that problem by casting my own. Since I'm having to casting my own I would like to go as light as possible and make the best bullet for my shooting needs.

Shots are close on both rifle and pistol so pin point accuracy isn't a must. The pistols will shoot anything but I'm worried about feeding issues with my 73 Winchester and that’s why I'm looking for a RN or RNFP. Any help is greatly appreciated......I'll probably give Lee a call today as well.