PDA

View Full Version : Bullet for 45 colt blackpowder

Ianagos
09-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Ok little intro for me then ill continue

Ive been into shooting for a while but not long ago i shot black powder revolver in 45. So now my crazy self ha decided i want a long gun that can shoot black powder so ive been looking round at marlin 1894 and rossis. but i found a rossi m92 in .45 colt with the 24" octagon barrel (i refuse to buy a round barrel just doesn't look right) so ive yet to buy it but unless i find a good deal on another ill prob have this one in a week or two. so thats the rifle we are gonna act like we are loading for.

As far as equipment i have a single stage press and basic stuff and a machine shop available to me but thats only when im on leave typically my step brother loads for me and we just go have fun when im back home.

Ok so ive been up and down this forum looking for a good black powder bullet then some say the lyman 454190 works fine then somebody will reply back with you have to have a biglube(ive heard they arent accurate at range) bullet or your gun will foul immediately. Well on my military budget and between my car (67 mustang) and everything else i dont really have all that much money so im not trying to buy tons of dies just to find the perfect one. So budget mindedly so like a lyman, rcbs, or lee even better what will give me enough lube on the bullet to run black powder.

I also want an accurate round this will be mostly just for plinking and may go hunting but most likely not.

Im totally down for used molds and would prefer to us them to save money just haven't found any suitable for sale used.

thanks for the help in adbance and this is really stumping me because its just so hard to tell what will work and what has the biggest lube capacity.

DougGuy
09-25-2016, 05:59 PM
454190 is closest to the traditional BP boolit for .45 Colt but some say the meplat is not big enough to be used in a tubular magazine so I would suggest the Lee C452-255-RF boolit. You probgably aren't looking to shoot it accurately beyond 100yds anyway with any style boolit so the RF style boolit would work well and feed in a levergun.

17nut
09-25-2016, 06:17 PM
I find that fouling wanishes when i substitute @3grains of BP with 3 grains of medium-fast smokeless pistol powder (@10%).
My 1873 SAA will shoot them all day long without fouling out at all. Thats with the Lee 452-255-RF and homebrew BP lube.

John Boy
09-25-2016, 07:22 PM
You probably aren't looking to shoot it accurately beyond 100yds anyway with any style boolit so the RF style boolit would work well and feed in a levergun.
Naw!
I shoot SASS using the Ideal 454190, 255gr, from several lever actions 45LC with black powder. Have a Rossi M92 that is magazine feed 10 rounds of the 454190's for each scenario. This workhorse has had 10,000 plus rounds down the bore and the bullet metplat has not turned the rifle into spare parts. Plus, the rounds will dust a clay pigeon at 50 yds!

As for accuracy of the 454190 bullet, using a Uberti M1860 with stock sights ... 2 Rams in a row at 500 meters (547yds) ! Cleaned the rest of the bank too but not with consecutive shots
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2906.jpg

Outpost75
09-25-2016, 07:32 PM
In .45 Colt I use Accurate Molds 45-259EB which has adequate lubricant capacity to prevent foul-out in long strings of rifle fire.
If you don't care for the bevel base the 45-260F does not have the bevel. The meplat is somewhat larger than the original #454190 for safe use with heavy loads using pistol primers in a tubular magazine. It also has a crimp groove so that it can be crimped securely to prevent telescoping back into the case from compression of the magazine spring, in smokeless loads which do not provide the same base support for the bullet which a compressed charge of black powder does.

runfiverun
09-25-2016, 11:04 PM
for the 24" barrel i personally would want the bigger lube groove too.
i know the LEE is similar to the lyman 452664 which is a large meplated 250gr rnfp [my favorite boolit BTW] and has a decent sized lube groove.
the Rossi will do well with a 452 diameter boolit of a fairly soft alloy.
depending on your powder the duplex load might be the answer to keeping things clean, but i think I'd rather have a 'wet' bore from a good lube to keep the fouling soft.

Ianagos
09-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Ok so I'll prob grab the lee because it's so cheap but what do you guys think of the

452424 or the 452664

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention I don't know how comfortable I feel with this duplex in give heard of it once before but not with black powder and I don't really have a clue. Also sound like more of a hassle with reloading.

runfiverun
09-26-2016, 12:27 PM
if your not comfortable don't do it.
it does work and keeps things clean.

I shoot both the 424 and 664 in my rossi's the 664 feeds perfectly crimped in the crimp groove the 424 needs to be crimped over the front drive band making the round look like a long 45 acp.

unfortunately I wouldn't waste my money buying a new lyman mold.
I'd get the mold or something similar to the one outpost shows above from accurate and know I'm getting a good 2-3 cavity mold that will do what I want the first time I use it.

marlin39a
09-26-2016, 02:59 PM
I have the Lyman 454190. It's my only 45 Colt mold. I run it over black powder and smokeless. Works great for me in 2 Ruger Vaqueros.

w30wcf
09-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Ok so I'll prob grab the lee because it's so cheap but what do you guys think of the

452424 or the 452664

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention I don't know how comfortable I feel with this duplex in give heard of it once before but not with black powder and I don't really have a clue. Also sound like more of a hassle with reloading.

If you are looking for accuracy out yonder (200+ yards) then only the 454190 or the two accurate molds referenced will give it to you. Reason - slow twist rate. The Accurate molds carry the same nose profile as the time tested .44-40 bullet.

w30wcf

Ianagos
10-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Well I'll probably end up buying the accurate mold just waiting till I have the gun and mess with it before committing to such an expensive mold