PDA

View Full Version : NRA formula mixture with Carnuba wax.

Down South
06-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I’m in the process of making my first batch of boolit lube. I have my bees wax and a jug of Alox or is it xlox from one of our members. I pan lube and I would like to make my lube a little harder than the regular NRA 50/50. I have some carnauba wax flakes. How much of the carnauba wax would you folks recommend per volume or weight to my 50/50 mixture?

runfiverun
06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
spoon full to a lb
b.a.c. = b-wax alox carnuba should be able to find a recipe in the stickies

dromia
06-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Lar's Xlox 350 is the 50/50 ingredient rather than the liquid Xlox.

If by any chance you are going to use liquid Xlox I'd be interested to hear how it worked for you.

utk
06-05-2008, 06:07 AM
I once tried LEE Liquid Alox + beeswax and it was soft and nice. Never shot it though.
But after some time, all the solvent in the LLA had evaporated and the lube was rock hard.

To get a time-stable lube you would need to let the mineral spirits evaporate before you find something to use as a softener. Better to use Xlox 350 from the beginning.

Down South
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Lar's Xlox 350 is the 50/50 ingredient rather than the liquid Xlox.

If by any chance you are going to use liquid Xlox I'd be interested to hear how it worked for you.
Well I learn something new every day. It is Lar's Xlox. I will have to rethink this. I'd still like to make my own from it sine I have it coming. It should be here today or tomorrow.
I guess that I need to get in touch with Lar and see about getting the pure stuff. I may end up going with a different bees wax formula for the time being.
I wonder if the Xlox was poured into a pan and left sitting out and the open, how long it would take the solvent to evaporite? Iwould think it could be placed over low heat (lower than the flash point of the solvent) too.

I once tried LEE Liquid Alox + beeswax and it was soft and nice. Never shot it though.
But after some time, all the solvent in the LLA had evaporated and the lube was rock hard.

The boolits that I'll be lubing won't be hanging around long. It seems for some reason that I can shoot em as fast as I can make em.

leftiye
06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I've read that there is a form of alox which is hard? Does anybody know? Sounds like maybe that's what's in Lee Mule Snot maybe to me (Like the above after the solvents evaporate). It wouldn't be necessary to mix it with beeswax, rather you could soften it with maybe Bullplate lube Or use it to harden moly grease.

utk
06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Lee Liquid Alox is Alox 606-55 from Lubrizol (a rust preventative). And the number 55 is the amount of 606 in percent, here 55%. The balance is mineral spirits.
Alox 606 is a solid which LLA will be when the ms has evaporated.

Maybe vaseline could be used as a softener? Or some oil?

38 Super Auto
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I've read that there is a form of alox which is hard? Does anybody know? Sounds like maybe that's what's in Lee Mule Snot maybe to me (Like the above after the solvents evaporate). It wouldn't be necessary to mix it with beeswax, rather you could soften it with maybe Bullplate lube Or use it to harden moly grease.

Check ebay. Jakes lube sells alox chunks as well as hard lube.

dromia
06-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Down South, if you look down Lars's site you'll see he does the 350 quart cans, if you want to try that as well.

I can't find 350 on Lubrizol's site so it might have gone the way of the Dodo, either that or its been "improved".

Down South
06-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Down South, if you look down Lars's site you'll see he does the 350 quart cans, if you want to try that as well.

I can't find 350 on Lubrizol's site so it might have gone the way of the Dodo, either that or its been "improved".

Thanks, I'll check. DS

runfiverun
06-06-2008, 12:26 AM
might be called x-lox?

wiljen
06-06-2008, 07:09 AM
might be called x-lox?

It seems that Lubrizol has started defending their trademark. I think Lars got a nasty gram from a lawyer for calling his products Alox.

acsteve
06-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I got turned on to JPW, what could be easier, drop a spoonful in a bucket with boolits, swirl and let dry. No leading problems so far. Besides it it cheap and available

Down South
06-07-2008, 07:39 PM
If the 350 is different than the Liquid Xlox and if's what I need then that's what I'll try. I just sent Lars an email asking him about it. I may make up a small batch or the liquid Xlox and bees wax just to see how it comes out. I have several bottles of the LLA plus the 32 oz jug of Xlox that I got From Lars so I need do do something with it.
Acsteve. I'm fairly new to casting. What is JPW? It sounds somewhat like LLA.
Thanks for the replies.

DLCTEX
06-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax. Heat it and swirl the boolits in it like LLA. Lar's Xlox is used like LLA. DALE

Down South
06-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Oops, Double post. Sorry

Down South
06-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks Dale, The abbreviation threw me. I’ve read about using Johnson Paste wax before.
I’ve came to the conclusion that Lars Xlox is about the same thing as LLA.