PDA

View Full Version : cast velocitie's

Don Fischer
09-24-2016, 09:02 PM
I am working on a load for my 308 for deer this year. Started with a load that was listed just over 2000 fps. nothing good from it and got to thinking with a RN bullet maybe that might be to much velocity Got a few more loaded up to try tomorrow started at 1800 goes up to a bit over 1900 fps, or so the book says. Once I find a load then I'll chronograph it. So question, does anyone find that the faster the bullet goes the less accurate it is?

runfiverun
09-24-2016, 09:25 PM
actually the faster you go the more important things like fitment become.
buying an off the shelf parallel sided boolit mold and trying to fling it 2200 fps is a fools errand.
measuring things and taking care with fitment will get you 2200 easily and probably close to 2400 before you really need to bear down and look at the launch, case fitment, neck tension, lube friction property's, and gas check anneal.
then jump to lands, powder timing, and bhn can help you make another hurdle.

Bama
09-24-2016, 09:30 PM
I run a lee 200 gr PC at over 2220 with sub min accuracy. I had to start adding a small amount of copper to keep bullet from flying apart. As to speed vs accuracy, as long as cast bullet is fitted correctly to bore and groves and the alloy is strong enough to take the centrifugal forces, you should see groups tighten and open depending on barrel harmonics the same as a j bullet. Powder will also be important. I have have found 5744 works best in my setup. I did not have very good luck with most of the traditional J bullet powders.

Yodogsandman
10-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Tune those barrel harmonics by trying different cartridge overall lengths. Find the "sweet spot" and go on from there.

dh2
10-02-2016, 01:19 PM
I find that more times than not accuracy improves as the speed goes up. the size in relation to the bore will help prevent leading the barrel. This is why for 30 cal I size .310 and get good results a close to 2000 fps