PDA

View Full Version : Flaking sinside nickel casings; OK?

Idaho45guy
09-24-2016, 03:58 AM
Could not figure out which forum to put this question in. Please move if needed...

Anyway, shot a bunch of .45 Colt reloads my dad gave me and tumbled the brass(nickel plated casing). Noticed on a few of them that there is metal flaking off of the inside wall of the case. Is that OK? Or should I throw away the ones that are affected? It would be probably around 10% of them. I have another brand new box of casings so it's not like I'm hurting for brass at this point...

websterz
09-24-2016, 05:32 AM
Repeated loading and firing will cause the nickel plating to delaminate from the brass. As long as there are no cracks in the cases just keep on shooting them. Losing the nickel plating is nothing to worry about.

Idaho45guy
09-24-2016, 05:41 AM
Good to know; thanks!

runfiverun
09-24-2016, 10:38 AM
I have found that the nickel cases that lose their coating are the ones that last the longest.
they usually crack in the first load or two.

Hardcast416taylor
09-24-2016, 03:36 PM
About 10 years ago I bought 500 R-P nickled .45 Lc cases from Midway. I always tumble new cases irregardless what they are or who made them. The nickle was flaking off in my Dillion large tumbler. I tried loading up some cases that weren`t flaking, the nickle started coming off the cases both inside and on the outside. It was a silver `glittery` mess when I pulled down the 20 loaded rounds with nickle pieces. I contacted Midway and they agreed to accept the cases back. Of course I was out the cost of the powder I scrapped with nickle chips in it. Haven`t bought or used a nickle finished case since.Robert

Mauser48
09-24-2016, 04:01 PM
I've heard that in steel dies the nickel chips can get jammed up in them and scratch all your cases.