PDA

View Full Version : OAL for .45 ACP loads?

Typecaster
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I've been casting and loading for over 40 years, but am just now about to try loading .45 ACP. I've never loaded a straight rimless case, so I'm doing homework.

My main dilemma is that I don't have my own peestol—I'll just be borrowing one sometimes from #1 son's father-in-law. I can't check the headspace by dropping a round into the barrel as recommended here. How dependable would it be to just go by a published OAL?

I'm using the RCBS 45-201 SWC, and Ken Waters gave an OAL of 1.260" (IIRC) in Pet Loads for that boolet.

I know I should get my own 1911...I've got a 5-gal. bucket of R-P brass, the mould, and now the dies. Maybe I can convince my wife it would be a good use for our stimulus checks...

Richard

docone31
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
You will love the Taurus PT1911. It is all the bells and whistles in one package. I got one for my wife for Christmas. She loves it.
I have the advantage of having two 1911 style pistols to set the bullets to. I found, using a loaded ball round as OAL, I have no issues with feeding. With my 200gn flat point, I take the ball round, and reduct the OAL slightly. It works in both.

Maximilian225
06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I used the published overall length in my 1911 for along time with 200g SWC with good results.

Load you up some to shoot. When you borrow the pistol break it down and check the headspace while you got it. Than you'll know where to load next time.

Use that check to insure your future, all firearms are an investment.

:castmine:

Randall
06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
To get started seat the bullet to where you have about the thickness or a little less of your thumbnail, 20 to 30 thousandths, of the top band showing above the top of the case. Adjust from there being sure to keep the OAL under around 1.250 more or less. The important part is the ledge above the case mouth as long as it feeds.

runfiverun
06-04-2008, 04:08 PM
i have to seat the swc flush in mine or it tries to head-space on the boolit shoulder.
and check your cases for a consistant case length.
since this is someone elses pistol pick a middle of the road load around 825 fps...

HeavyMetal
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
buy the 1911, add a set of gold earings in a style your wife likes then give both to her.

While she's showing off the gold you can go shoot.

Doble Troble
06-04-2008, 05:18 PM
If shooting sight-unseen I'd size to 0.451 in case of a tight chamber.

I discovered that my 1911 will shoot 200 gr SWC just fine if I size to 0.451. Sized to 0.452 I get battery failures every other mag. It took me a while to figure this out, and I wasted a lot of lead shooting icky round nose bullets (that for reasons I can't explain feed fine at 0.452).

I seat the Lee H&G 68 copy to 1.235.

Sprue
06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I've been casting and loading for over 40 years, but am just now about to try loading .45 ACP. I've never loaded a straight rimless case, so I'm doing homework.

My main dilemma is that I don't have my own peestol—I'll just be borrowing one sometimes from #1 son's father-in-law. I can't check the headspace by dropping a round into the barrel as recommended here. How dependable would it be to just go by a published OAL?

I'm using the RCBS 45-201 SWC, and Ken Waters gave an OAL of 1.260" (IIRC) in Pet Loads for that boolet.

I know I should get my own 1911...I've got a 5-gal. bucket of R-P brass, the mould, and now the dies. Maybe I can convince my wife it would be a good use for our stimulus checks...

Richard

I have that exact same mold. I just recently been casting/loading this bullet.

The 1st time I went by my manual, and it turned out to be too long for my colt magazine. I had jamming in the magazine itself. I didn't do any trial functioning till I got to the range (bad idea).

I came back home and a couple days later I shortened the COL to 1.251 Made up another 50 or so. They worked flawlessly

So here is my specs:

COL = 1.251
Sizer= .451
Lee Factory Crimp

Note: The case is nearly at the edge of the bullet bearing surface as you can see.

Here's a pic. The rounds dont look too good here because of the magnification, but they are very nice to the naked eye. I'm proud of em.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/45ACPSWC.jpg

Typecaster
06-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks, Sprue—

That's real-world feedback. I guess I'll set 'em up to be just proud of the mouth of the case. My "source" has 3 1911 clones; I don't know which he'll actually loan out.

FWIW, when I studied precision optical fabrication in college, we were taught that it's not the "naked eye;" it's the "unaided eye." Of course, the program director could've been a closet pervert...but that memory was one of the best I have from going through the precision optics program. There sure as heck wasn't a job in the future as the military-industrial complex was being dismantled in the early '70s.

Thanks,

Richard

454PB
06-05-2008, 12:57 AM
In all the 1911's I've owned, they were quite forgiving of COL. I bought a Ruger P-90 about 15 years ago, and it's really touchy. I found out the hard way that the best method is to load 3 dummy rounds and manually test function them with any new mould. Since I cast about a dozen different styles and weights, I need to be sure they function first, and this is the safest way.