PDA

View Full Version : Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Scale

Mike W1
09-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Thought about replying to a 2006 thread but am not sure if they're talking about the same model or if there's been improvements made to the little scale. Anyhow my experience so far is far happier.

My Informal Test of Frankford Arsenal DS-750 scale.

Used Webster Scale Co. Check Weights and Homemade weights marked
51, 53, 60 grains. Used my Lyman M-5 scale to check the homemade weights
as previous tests had gotten identical readings to another set of factory check
weights I've since passed to my son. The Webster weights only go up to 60 grains
but there are some .1 and .5 grain weights in that set.

Was pleasantly surprised to find not more than .1 grain disagreement with the Webster
Check weights in the entire range up to that 60 maximum. Repeatability was near 100%,
something that differed from my old mid-90's PACT BBK scale when I tested that
years ago as I found a lot of times there'd be a .2 gr. variation with the same object. I did
notice a few times adding a .1 gr weight didn't always immediate register on the LCD right
away though adding a second .1 weight always did.

Another thing that was of interest is the DS-750 didn't seem to keep requiring recalibration
like the old PACT does. And recalibrating it is also a shorter process in the bargain.
Even running tests the next day didn't seem to need recalibrating but that is something I'd
do anyway normally.

When I took those homemade weights and used the Lyman results are below.

MARKED LYMAN DS-750
51 51.1 51.1
53 53 52.9
60 60.3 60.2

All 3 weights usually registered 164.2 and sometimes 164.3 grs. I thought I might be
detecting a pattern of variation depending on whether the weight in the pan was on
center or not. Couldn't be sure though but suspect centering things is likely the best
way to do things.

For a scale that Cabela's had on sale for $20 I was pretty impressed. I never used the PACT
for critical weighing and probably won't this one either. Years back Handloader Digest (1964)
and Gun Digest (1965) had a couple articles that I found useful when it comes to measuring
weights. They're still relevant and I can email copies if someone's so interested. Guess a PM
would be the way to start that process.

LynC2
09-23-2016, 05:02 PM
I bought one awhile back when my Dillon died. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. I bought it mostly to weight cast boolits which it does well. For the price it is hard to beat. If all of them work as well as mine, I can recommend it as a good deal.
Lyn