PDA

View Full Version : Odd weights on hi-tek coated cast

Rp-
09-23-2016, 03:40 PM
So my gun didnt seem to like lead. I tried a few plated and they were much more accurate and fed correctly. I recently picked up a bunch of 38 and 40 cal "hi-tek" bullets to try out.

Well, the 40 cal bullets measure at .4005" but only weight in at 143.3-146.2 grains. I breifly looked last night and didnt see any data on the hodgdon site for that weight cast bullets.

The 38 rounds measure at .3575" and the weights are around 164.7-168.6 grains. Again, couldnt find any data.

I an pretty impressed in the diameter consistency in the bullets. I have been using CFE pistol to load my 40 and 38 rounds. I also have titegroup on hand but the loads for these 2 calibers are pretty small and the velocities are better with the CFE. Im assuming the ~166gr .357 bullets are made in a 158 grain made with a heavier alloy causing the weight increase. My questions are as follows:

Is there data somewhere for a 166gr cast .38 special load? Or should i start with 158 and dial it down .1-.2 grains to start?

Is there data for a cast 145 grain 40s&w? Where would i even begin to start for this??

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

runfiverun
09-23-2016, 04:00 PM
155 for the 145 and back it down to about 950 fps.
and 158 for the 66's just dial it back about 15%.

alloy makes a huge difference in boolit weight and a mold pouring heavy from what the maker say's it'll pour is super common.

Rp-
09-23-2016, 04:08 PM
alloy makes a huge difference in boolit weight and a mold pouring heavy from what the maker say's it'll pour is super common.

I had read this here before and fogured that was the case. Plus i imagine the hi-tek coating might add a grain or so.

Now my problem is that i dont have a pistol to test them yet. Gonna have to load up a few and wait til i see my sister in law at thanksgiving i guess.

runfiverun
09-23-2016, 06:51 PM
don't feel too bad I just loaded 500 rounds of 40 short today and have no pistol or carbine in that caliber..
but the brass was in my way and I have a mold and dies and a shell plate for the 550.
so I cleaned things up and can now move along to the LPP 45 acp brass filling the bucket pretty quickly, I need to get them done so I can move along to the 44 mag brass blocking the large primer cabinet.

my claim is I am cleaning up the reloading room [shrug] and I think the wife is not caring either way since she don't go in there. :lol:

Rp-
09-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Well i loaded 270 45 and 223 but had my friends pistol and rifles to test them in. He and i used the same load data for 40 and he tested them himself so i know those are ok. Now the 38s though are a different story. Originally planned to load them for sis in law so saved brass. I dont see her much these days though.

I originally started loading all the common calibers i dont have just in case i get something to shoot them later (always nice to just happend to have 500-1000 laying around...). Also i suppose if shtf i can use them to barter with.

Rp-
09-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Also, next 2 calibers on my list are 308 and 30-06. I suppose i can trade my 357 dies for one of those easy enough.

runfiverun
09-24-2016, 08:28 PM
I know how that goes.
I get so much 9mm brass around here [about all I get actually] we bought two new pistols and I designed a mold around them just to use the stuff.

warf73
09-25-2016, 12:23 AM
I know how that goes.
I get so much 9mm brass around here [about all I get actually] we bought two new pistols and I designed a mold around them just to use the stuff.

runfiverun,

Come on I look up to you and this is the kind of advise you give, I'm sitting on about 3k 9mmm brass. With your advise I should buy a 9mm pistol LOL

Looks like I need to go pistol shopping soon.

Warf

Rp-
09-25-2016, 12:37 AM
With your advise I should buy a 9mm pistol LOL

Looks like I need to go pistol shopping soon.

Warf

Sounds like youre getting the hang of it.

Also, when i have x number of rounds laying around it should be easier to convince the wife to let me get a gun to shoot them :-)

runfiverun
09-25-2016, 11:12 AM
well you gotta buy 2 actually.
I recommend the CZ-75B [I got the retro] or the Para Ord. black ops 9m double stack.
I think I like the Para a little better, but the wife is always hogging it.

did you know it takes 180 lbs of alloy to make 10-K HM-2 9mm boolits.
and that a 35 gallon fiber drum will hold 10-k reloaded 9mm rounds with a little room to spare.
an 8 lb jug of bulls-eye will load those 10-k rounds and have some left over.
and that it's hard to replace 10-k SP primers from my LGS right now, so you gotta go online to do it.
the 9m is also picky about lube viscosity, I done nothing other than keep on adding more wax to a 'too thin' lube and kept on watching the groups shrink until they finally stopped, settled down for a bit, then opened back up again [just from the lube]
and my inconsistent shooting.

Rp-
09-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Meh. Im a purist. Ruger p85 for me