PDA

View Full Version : Casting Big Bore Bullets (500 Jeffery)

pillshooter
06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
To The Group:

I have decided to jump on board to querry you all for some helpful hints. I am having Steve Brooks build me a .512 mould for my 500 Jeffery. It will use Hornady .50cal GC's. He recomends I resize it .511 so I'll get a lyman custom sizer die ordered. What I really need to know is how fast can I push these bullets? I'd like to run these 590grn bullets around 2000fps or better. I have read some of the posts but since I'm new to casting for CF rifles I need some help. (I have cast and load BP & pistol bullets in the past). Here are my questions

1.) What would be best lead alloy mix to run these bullets at 2000fps (if possible)?

2.) Recomendations for HV bullet lube?

3.) Do I need to harden them (water drop, bake....)?

I am planning on developing a 500 Jeffery web page so any info you provide will benefit other in the future. Also if you are a 500 Jeffery CB shooter some load data would be swell. :)

Thanks

Brad

dubber123
06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum. With the GC design, and good lube, 2,000 fps should be possible with hardened wheelweights. Linotype added will also certainly work.

I have had good luck with LBT's Blue soft lube at 1,800+ fps. but there are many lubes that are just as good. I have had my best luck leading wise by shooting the biggest boolit that will readily chamber.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Buckshot
06-05-2008, 03:15 AM
................It seems sometimes that the larger the bore, the easier it is to get your velocity up there. But by the same token by the time you get close you're so beat to crap you no longer care :-) You should have no problem getting up to 2000/2100 fps at all with cast. I'd also suggest (if you can swing another mould) is one for a smooth slug for paper patching.

..............Buckshot

DonH
06-05-2008, 06:08 AM
You will find that Steve Brooks mould as much of a joy to cast with as Mr. Brooks is to deal with! It is to Steve's credit that in addition to making moulds (and knives) he is a top notch shooter, having won the BPCR silhouette Nationals once. With a bullet from his own mould of course.

Southern Son
06-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Pillshooter,
2 things mate, first, I have a Steve Brooks mould and it is a cracker. I luv making boolits with it, it is, as Don H says, a joy to cast with and Steve and his lady are both great people.

Second, can I have your gun collection after you fire that 590 grainer at 2000fps+? The shape you will be in after working up a handload for that rifle, guns won't be fun for you any more.....:-D:mrgreen::-D

dromia
06-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forums Pill shooter. :drinks:

If the mould has been cut to fit your chamber then your more than half way there. :-D

LBT soft Blue seems to work consistently at the higher velocities.

Getting you BH over 20 shouldn't be too difficult, water quenching and/or adding linotype.

So you don't seem a kick in the **** of it.

Pokey no doubt, but should be fun. 600 Nitro express it isn't. :-D

pillshooter
06-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the information. I will keep you all posted. :)

Lloyd Smale
06-12-2008, 04:27 AM
if you have a good barrel 5050 ww/lyno will work at those velocitys but for a hunting load id back it off to 1700-1800. Weve done alot of penetration testing on the 50 alaskan at those speeds and its tough to get good penetration out of those big bullets with about any alloy. they tend to mushroom or deform. Dropping back a couple hundred fps does wonders for the ability of those bullets to penetrate and even at 1500 fps they hit like a freight train.

06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Lloyd Smale it looks like you are use to making big bullets. look at my post 45-70 magma . i would like any help with my 45-70 bullets. thanks

rockrat
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I generally have gone with a WW/Lino ratio of 4/1 for casting my big 50, but only use straight WW's when loading under 2000fps. I am going to try LBT soft, but have used my own mix of 3 sticks orange magic, 2 sticks lyman moly and one stick SPG to soften. So far so good with a 725gr at 2300fps. I also tumble lube in LLA after regular sizing/lubing. I water quench when casting. If you drop the velocity to 1800fps, you should be able to get by without quenching, I would think, even with just plain WW's

Southern Son
06-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Rockrat, How do you find the Lyman Moly. I tried some mixed 50/50 with beeswax on some 458 win mag boolits, I only fired 11 rounds (on the day I thought is was 6) before the scope base broke, sending the scope flying through the air, untill it hit me in the head. I am still getting black crap out of the barrel. I have fired alot of BPCR with cast boolits, but this is the only smokeless rounds. It is easier to clean up after firing black powder than that moly stuff.

pillshooter
06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Right now I'm low on WW's but have some melted scrap range bullets ie 38spec's WC. Would it be better to go get some WW's or cast with the lead I have and quench the bullets. Also I'm planning on using these for range practice only for hunting I'll stick with the Woodlieghs. I'm just trying to lower the per shot cost so I can shoot this rifle more often.

Thanks Brad :)

Jnesto
05-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Guys can you share your 500 jeffery specs moulds?

Will start to cast my own bullets and need a starting point.

Thanks